It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wyoming Gray Wolves lose Federal Protection.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Well, Wyoming joins Idaho and Montana in taking state control of the management for their wolves. I'm not sure how I feel about this and there is really one major point of this story that gets my goat. Lets see what this is about first though...

Gray wolves in Wyoming are no longer an endangered species and now will be managed by state authorities, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service announcedamid protests from environmental groups.
As of the end of September, gray wolves in Wyoming will be managed by state officials, rather than by the federal government, Fish and Wildlife officials said.

Hmmm.. Okay....and why would this be?

There are now more than 1,774 adult wolves and over 100 breeding pairs in the Northern Rocky Mountains, and authorities say the population growth has exceeded recovery goals for 10 years in a row.
"Our primary goal, and that of the states, is to ensure that gray wolf populations in the Northern Rocky Mountains remain healthy, giving future generations of Americans the chance to hear its howl echo across the area," Fish and Wildlife Director Dan Ashe said in a statement

Sounds fair and reasonable so far, right? I mean, I know the ranchers and such have a real serious problem with the wolves making dinner out of their livestock and have since these were reintroduced into the environment some time ago. They were abscent for so long, human beings are literally the only thing to recall they had once belonged there. So, in a very real sense for nature, this wasn't reintroducing as much as introducing for the first time. I doubt the wildlife knew the difference. Anyway, so far, outside the Ranchers, things seem to be alright and predators are needed where hunters can't help control the Deer and other prey animal populations.

So what has me a little confused and upset about this?

Like Idaho and Montana, Wyoming agreed to maintain at least 150 wolves and 15 breeding pairs within the state's borders, according to the agency press release.
Biologists believe that most of Wyoming's wolves live in the Northwest part of the state.
The state authorizes up to 52 wolves to be killed each year as "trophy game."
Source

TROPHY GAME?! Okay, I understand why the protection is a bad situation for the ranchers, as noted. ..but TROPHY shooting WOLVES?! Since when did we start trophy shooting predator species in the United States?? I know they make great fun of this in Asia and Africa and it makes me sick. However, here, we are overrun with Deer, Elk and a number of other critters these wolves and others controlled as a part of the balance of nature at one time.

So, I believe we see good with a real BAD feature mixed in here. I'm somewhat mixed about even shooting coyotes, but grew up in an area where they occasionally made snacks of the family pets, not to mention small human kids they might happen across, so I get that and accept the need. I just can't stomach pure trophy killing, really for any animal, but in a predatory species it's obscene on a different level.

Anyone here among those who would want to go Wolf hunting?

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
It's disgusting- this trophy hunting. Recently, a member here posted something about wolves, and added that he thought they were beautiful, the coolest wild animal, ever...and how he couldn't wait to have their state open a hunting season on them so he could kill one.

I really don't understand. When I think something is beautiful, cool, whatever- I do whatever I can to protect it....I don't want to destroy it.

Unfathomable.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I have family in Wyoming, the trophy hunting is how they're culling the herd, so to speak. You join a lottery and win tags.

Serious problem for the sheep and cattle ranchers down around Mt Laramie. I was telling my grandparents I saw a wolf on the upper land for years, but no one believed they had spread down from the parks. "They don't cross the rivers," is what I told. Bridges anyone? That changed like 5 years ago when the sheep started vanishing. They all believed me then.

The thing your missing is why would a wolf hunt a deer when it can just grab a few dumb sheep or cows? Besides it'll mostly be the ones that hunt bears and cougars and the like that'll hunt the wolves.
edit on 9-9-2012 by thesungod because: spelling

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by thesungod

Okay, you have me interested... I have family in the Bozeman, Mt area but that isn't Wyoming. When I hear trophy hunting, I think of the ranches in South Dakota that offer the ability to hunt Coyote, Bison, Elk or other animals with or without guide and usually at the rate of several bucks a pound on equivalent price. That kind of set-up sickens me. Especially when leaving the kills lay is purely optional. What a waste..and disrespect to the animal.

You're saying this is more like the Doe tag lottery that many states (including mine) have to distribute the 'any deer' hunting tags which only issue at a very limited number? That makes a bit more sense if you also say there is solid basis for needing the numbers brought down.

I have no problem with hunting for the express purpose of managing herds. Especially when the herds are purely a product of man's efforts to begin with. It's not what I took from the article...but then, that is what makes local perspective so valuable on these threads. I'm sure the author of the story doesn't live in Wyoming either.

Thanks for the added info!

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
We need to stop being so hypocritical and start controlling our own out of control population.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Here is some ACTUAL info on it from the state.

Chapter 21, Gray Wolf Management

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by thesungod

Here is some ACTUAL info on it from the state.

Chapter 21, Gray Wolf Management

Thank you very much for that! My thread was focused on the Feds de-listing them from official protections more than anything, but I'd sure have included that as a side bar if I'd thought of it and known where to find it. I really appreciate the additional information and context, especially as actual state paperwork and not media story.

The environmentalists/animal rights folk are going totally ape over this, but it looks by your material that Wyoming is doing their best to balance needs and priorities. I hope they succeed in the long term for the balance.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Wyoming is actually a pretty cool, government wise, it's just so sparsely populated. One day I'll inherit that ranch up there, but IDK what I'll do with it.

Anyway, no sweat. I'm good for a few things.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I am not into hunting for sport and I strongly believe that to kill an animal for any reason other than sustenance is horrible. I guess you could argue that they're "all going to die eventually," but isn't it better to not waste an animal's life just so you can get a few kicks? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the kind of thing psychopaths do?

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by greenist

It's about population control. There are too many wolves. They let them hunt a few under the guise of sport to control the population. That way you have burgers to eat (cows) and wool for sweaters (sheep). Not to mention they will eventually kill off the native animal populations. Deer, elk, antelope, etc. would all eventually be eaten as well.

You don't hear people speaking out against coyote population control do you?

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Wrabbit2000

I have lost several of my cattle to wolves over the last few years and that means a huge loss of profit for me..

And yes Ive had to shoot a few that were out in my pasture stalking my cattle for food ..

Its a very serious problem here in northern Minnesota..

But as far a "trophy game" killing for sport is a cowardly exercise that features an uneven playing field between hunters and the hunted..Trophy hunting gives all hunting a bad name (It’s blood lust pure and simple) and to me should not be allowed for any reason..peace,sugarcookie1 S&F

new topics

top topics

join