It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost film from 1906...this is awesome..

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Giving this thread a S & F and a well deserved bump.

I've seen the before and after San Fransisco video before but not this one. As many have noticed the people seemed to walk and run all Helter Skelter but they are "Running, Jumping [in and out] of the traffic and dodging cars, horses and street cars" They did that on a daily bases.

Also, regarding those long strides. I too think it has to do with the camera perspective but also consider the following. How many horse patty's were lying about all over the streets at that time? I'm sure there were plenty to sidestep and over step. It was probably a stride/dodge that was common place back then.

I offer the following video. Which shows us presently as a much more technologically evolved species but one has to ask... At what cost? We have lost that innocents....

For comparison
Imagine [if we survive as a species] what will people in 2106 think of this?

I wonder if this music will make Zazz twitch as well?

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

And a few days or a week later. Amazingly, even after an earthquake and fire, the people are still better dressed than most people are today.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Very nice video !!

but boy they could sure use some traffic rules .

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Interesting. It looks like those made by the Lumière brothers (the creators of moving film). At the Lumière Institute in Lyon, there is a lot of films they shot in San Francisco just like this.

I love looking at things like this! What a wonderful invention!

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Thanks everyone..

I'm glad you all enjoyed it..

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
The tailoring business must have been smokin' back then. Every guy was walking around in a suit with a hat on. The pedestrians really had to watch where they were going because no one else was.

FYI there are a few color pictures of the era (autochromes) that you can see on line. It really brings a sense of realism to the whole scene. The autochromes were the first form of color photography that the picture information was stored on glass plates. The color came from potato starch.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by GregAgainstSocalisim
Amazing I am shcoked that they had that many cars in the middle of the great depression

You're kidding, right?

2nd line....

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
OMG the quality is terrible was that recorded on a phone.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
How did that tram at 00:20 go at right angles to the tracks ?

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Thanks for this. I love watching old films/photos like this. Makes me want to be able to jump into that time period for the day. Just walk around and and take it all in. (In period dress of course).

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by baddmove

This is the time that republicans want to take us back to. Absolutely no safety regulation.

Laws that tell you what side of the road to drive on...pffftt nanny state!

Publicly funded stop signs? Pfhfffftt...taxes are stealing.

edit on 10-9-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)
Your deep seeded discontent for republicans is quite obvious. Why is it that you have to bring up politics on every thread you come across? When I first saw your avatar on this thread, I knew right away you were going to bring up something about republicans. And sure as hell, you did. Can’t even enjoy a video from 1903 without you ruining it with your political ideology. It’s really quite monotonous…

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Daz3d-n-Confus3d

just like the obvious one just mentioned above here,

they are the same video... just different music

the OPs vid starts at 3 mins and 50 secs into your vid...

your vid.... www.cbsnews.com...

OP vid on |Utube.... www.youtube.com...

seeya

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
A few things stand out- Practically ZERO obesity, women drssed like ladies instead of street walking ho's, men dressed as if they had some pride in themslves.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Great Video!

Enjoyed it a lot. We too were suprised at the long strides. I think I am going to try walking like that myself lol.

I wonder about evolutionary changes, we don't walk like we used to. Walking is more for pleasure or exercise than for transportation now.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove

just look at the roads and everything around the camera...

Firstly, WHAT ROADS?!?!?!

Secondly, this kind of reminds me of the earliest form of GOOGLE street view we have now on the internet

I wonder if the street view idea by Google came as a byproduct of this video? Makes you wanna think about it

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Nana2

I agree, soo much better back then.

Thanks to the OP I have been watching old films all night now, I am hooked...

Sooooo sad we have lost so much innocense...

These ones are maybe offensive to some, but I would way rather be THERE, they freedoms lost compared to the freedoms they think they gained, and just sad...

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Always nice to take a trip down memory lane. People were so well dressed and respectable back then.

The women's dresses were lovely, but I would die wearing that in the summers.

I know the men would appreciate their women doing all the cooking and cleaning, but these days it takes two incomes to get by and we don't want to sit around having babies and being slaves.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by BABYBULL24
Is that a guy on a cellphone at 0:49???

Holding the brim of his hat more like it

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Video was cool, but seing everyone in it and realising they are all dead made me feel a bit sick.

Guess it has to do with reminding me of our mortaility and how completley insignificant we are.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
pause at :38, as some things change some things remain the same.

that cop looks like he's about to baton the britches out of the constitution or the first "chinaman" or "negro" he finds.

edit on 10-9-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join