It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Simple way to discover if your produce is GMO.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+31 more 
posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Hi friends not sure if you are familiar with this or not but you can actually find out more about your produce by checking with the PLU code on it. With everything we are learning about GMOs this is a handy reference to bookmark.

plucodes.com...
edit on 9-9-2012 by antar because: link

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Why do people focus on organic food if they are truly health conscious? They still use pesticides to grow them, pesticides that seep into the fruit through the skin. Either way you are eating poison.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Thanks for the info, il definatley check all my produce.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Pretty sure "organic" means no synthetic chemical fertilizer or pesticides used. This is a good trick assuming retailers use the stickers they're supposed to.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Thanks OP, I have wanted info like this for a long time.

I looked up the document. Here is the link, the info is on page 15

Plucode

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Urantia1111

Nope. Common misconception.

Contrary to what most people believe, "organic" does not automatically mean "pesticide-free" or "chemical-free". In fact, under the laws of most states, organic farmers are allowed to use a wide variety of chemical sprays and powders on their crops.

www.ocf.berkeley.edu...
edit on 9-9-2012 by InfamousRebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
is this go for around the world just US?

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by InfamousRebel

But like I said, and your source confirms, no synthetics. Only natural compounds.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Well, I just learned something new today. This will be easy to remember and quite useful. Thank you, OP! S and F for you!

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jplaysguitar

Well the site I linked is in Canada I think, but it worked on all of our produce here in the US, so give it a try and see, let us know.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Thanks antar for posting this news on how to identify GMO foods. I believe everyone should know how to identify them, in order to not purchase them, since they may have side effects that we are not aware of.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
As soon as I discovered this site I had my son bring us an apple, orange and peach to check out. They were all within the limits of safer food, not organic but not GMO either.
edit on 9-9-2012 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I am no expert of course just passing along this interesting find.

Once while listening to Jeff Rense some years ago there was an interview about how USDA organic only had to be 40% or so organic to be considered organic, for instance if you took a box of apples, only 40% has to be organic, that leaves 60% unknown!

This was shocking news to me, but then it interestingly seemed to coincide with the regulations taking off on the whole burgeoning organic food industry. Wish I could find that radio interview for you because it really was an eye opener for my family and we began to understand our purchases and our produce better.

Anyway here is an old article I found while looking for that old radio interview.:

New USDA 'Organic' Rules Mandate Growers Use Only Organic Seeds

rense.com...

This is a great site to bookmark as well to stay current on so many levels:

Family Farmers – Remember! The USDA OWNS the “Organic” name

farmwars.info...

For tons of great information on the subject:

www.google.com...

There are so many directions this topic can flow and feel free to write whatever comes up for you but there are other much better threads to discuss organic pros and cons.

This thread is just passing some good information along to see if your food is GMO.
edit on 9-9-2012 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

Right wouldn't it be Fantastic if everyone refused to buy GMO food? They force it on the farmers and growers but if they cannot sell it, who knows it could change the course of a genetic Armageddon.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
interesting ... grow all my own food use water buffalo manure as fertilizer .. though most things grow quite well and fast out here on their own without fertilizer of any type...

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Real easy for me.

The produce rots within 2 days after purchase.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfamousRebel
Why do people focus on organic food if they are truly health conscious? They still use pesticides to grow them, pesticides that seep into the fruit through the skin. Either way you are eating poison.

But genetically modified crops are healthier to eat?? Ones that have been modified so they can handle even more pesticides or ones that even produce their own pesticides that are harmful to human health.
There are already several studies that shows that it causes organ damage.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by tkwasny
Real easy for me.

The produce rots within 2 days after purchase.

Bingo...Last fall I transplanted a volunteer tomato plant into my greenhouse for winter tomatoes..worked like charm...great tasting cherry tomatoes in late Jan. early Feb...till May....Plant starts to die with a few toms on it, me I am lazy and don't take the plant out..I will save the seeds for this fall...6 weeks later plant dead..tomatoes cherry red and taste like fresh picked...The GMO problem is sooo much bigger then most of us think or know...

how I Know..I use to buy cherry toms in the winter months from Big Box Store...I am a composter....

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Great info OP! I am sharing this with friends and family for sure! S & F for ya.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by jplaysguitar

Well the site I linked is in Canada I think, but it worked on all of our produce here in the US, so give it a try and see, let us know.

Can't you just ask the store manager or produce manager to find out which ones are GMO??? Wouldn't that be easier?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join