It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen w/ down syndrome not allowed to fly first class.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by GregAgainstSocalisim

You are a disgusting human being. I hope that your local community finds out about your views of the disabled and shames you out of business/town.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by GregAgainstSocalisim
Why no sympathy for the others in first class? They have payed a lot of their HARD EARNED MONEY for the privalage and not everyone is comfortable being forced to sit with disabled. Not everyone buys into the liberal/socalist world view about treating disabled people.

The father stated the boy usually eats his snack and goes to sleep.

Secondly, the family ALSO paid for their seats with their own HARD EARNED MONEY. Are they not allowed the same privilege as non-disabled people? Is their HARD EARNED MONEY not as good as the other folks?

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by magma
reply to post by Qemyst

I'm just going to say that SO FAR (again, without knowing how the boy was acting prior) it does seem more like the airline just didn't want him sitting with the other high paying first class folks because they didn't want to get any complaints.

Even though in your own post it is stated by the airline that the pilot was not happy with the boys behaviour.

American Airlines spokesman Matt Miller said the disabled boy was agitated and running around the gate area prior to boarding, which his parents dispute. The airplane’s pilot observed the boy, Miller said, and made the call based on his behavior.

So in actual fact, the pilot made a call based on his observations.

The mother is the one that it making a big deal out of.

Or... someone is lying.

I would say the mother in this case.

edit on 9-9-2012 by magma because: (no reason given)

The family stated that the pilot didn't even come and talk with them or help to acclimate the boy to the flight, as American Airlines claims.

I would also say someone is lying, but I can't say who. No-one can at this point.

All I will say is that it (operative word here) seems like they simply didn't want a disabled boy in first class.

EDIT: If the airport wants to release terminal footage showing the boy running around and being agitated and disruptive, then my statement will most certainly change to "Yep, the boy was acting agitated and disruptive. I can see why they made the call they did." ..until that happens, so far, it just seems contrary to that.
edit on 9-9-2012 by Qemyst because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by RottenBeauty

I will pray for you

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Qemyst

The father stated the boy usually eats his snack and goes to sleep.

Secondly, the family ALSO paid for their seats with their own HARD EARNED MONEY. Are they not allowed the same privilege as non-disabled people? Is their HARD EARNED MONEY not as good as the other folks?

But this time HE didn't, I was also talking in general too, not everyone wants to be around disabled.

And I know liberals hate it but a PRIVATE COMPANY doesnt' need to take your money OR provide you with service especially if the kid was acting up and could be DANGEROUS on a aircraft

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

They haven't provided evidence that the boy was acting up, and i'm sure the airport had cameras, as one person stated. That would certainly be able to show if he was acting up, running around, being disruptive or whatnot.

If he wasn't acting up, he had every right to be in first class. If someone had a problem with him in first class, or was uncomfortable being around him when he was just keeping to himself, I'd tell them f* right off and die.

It's really a he said/she said at this point. If I was the airline, i'd be busting my ass to prove that the child was acting disruptive, because as it stands right now, they're being sued for it, and if the child WASN'T being disruptive, then the airline deserves to be sued, and I hope the family tears them a new one.

If the family is lying, then shame on them.

But as I said a few times before, as it stands, there's been more info from the family, and even a high school class mate about the boy with DS. From what is known, the boy seems to be well adjusted and suited to social situations. Has flown many times before without incident, etc.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Qemyst

So you have ZERO prof that he usually acts calmly when flying and you believe the parents yet you don't trust a sucessful business like American Airlines? Why? Do you buy into the "evil company" myth?

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

reply to post by Qemyst

So you have ZERO prof that he usually acts calmly when flying and you believe the parents yet you don't trust a sucessful business like American Airlines? Why? Do you buy into the "evil company" myth?

Correct. I have zero proof that he usually acts calmly. I will not claim to have that proof in any way.

I can, however, say what something SEEMS like, without actually saying it is factual.

I've stated why it SEEMS like the airline simply did not want him in first class.
I've met too many people who are like "eww disabled person..." who would put up a stink with the airline for having to be around a disabled person in first class. My experience with those people, and with the many, many, many people with DS, and by having a little bit of information regarding this boys character and background (from the parents, the student who goes to highschool with the boy) I am saying it SEEMS like the airline probably simply didn't want others in first class complaining.

Now, please don't act like I am stating any of this as fact.
My tune will quickly change as soon as the airline releases footage of him being disruptive.

edit on 9-9-2012 by Qemyst because: Grammarrrrrrr

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Ok here is food for thought.

This young man and his family are from Bakersfield, CA. They were trying to board a flight in Newark, NJ to fly to Los Angles, Ca. How did the family get there did they walk or drive and if they did drive there why were they flying home. So this teen must have flow before with no troubles. But as soon as they upgrade their tickets now they have issues with his behavior.

Also Bede was calm enough to get through the TSA check point. Then he starts to misbehave. again this does not ring true to a parent of a disabled child.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I don't know what's more detestable, the fact that they kicked the poor boy off the flight or this: "In a security control area you cannot be recording this."

Who comes up with these strange and ridiculous rules? And what's wrong with people? It's people like this dude, the "just doing my job" kinda people that really irk me. It's because of idiots like him that we're continuously fighting an even steeper and steeper uphill battle against losing our rights day in and day out.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I thought the word retarded or mentally retarded were derogatory words? Can't we use mentally challenged, or mentally disabled? I wouldn't dream of using the word retarded to describe a disabled person, maybe it's just an English thing?

Anyway, I also agree with the posters who say it is impossible to speculate until we find out how the boy was behaving 20 minutes before the video.

I sincerely hope there is no foul play here, but unfortunately we will never know unless we get a genuine eye witness account.
edit on 10/9/12 by OpenEars123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   

I don't think that your prayers are worth the price of an economy class air ticket and RottenBeauty much less in need of prayer than you need therapy!

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I've been disabled since birth and ever since around 13 years old it's been absolute hell: not because I'm disabled, I don't mind that bit, its because of people's blatant arrogance at thinking because they aren't, they're in some way superior, because they think they never will be (wrong!!!!) and because they think I'm stupid; I have an IQ of 135 and understand every nuance! That said, I'm so pleased that there are some really good people who don't pretend they know every reaction I might have.
I don't have CP or any really visible impairment by the way.
edit on 10-9-2012 by Alien44 because: Added text

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Why no sympathy for the others in first class? They have payed a lot of their HARD EARNED MONEY for the privalage and not everyone is comfortable being forced to sit with disabled. Not everyone buys into the liberal/socalist world view about treating disabled people.

Then don't fly because they also have the same right and constitutionally protected right to equality, so immature brats who feel uncomfortable should sign up for some well deserved counseling., EH?!!!!

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Personally, I don't agree with your position. However I do understand it. I have met people that have a phobia of disabled/sick people. I'm not saying you are one of those folk. Merely stating that I understand the behavior. I think you made a reasonably fair point. I myself would be irritated if I bought a 1st class ticket and was forced to sit next to a disruptive person. There is nothing wrong with being irritated by people. How one handles the situation is what matters.

Don't sweat all the self-righteous people attacking you for your opinion. This sort of behavior is prevalent on this site. I find it hypocritical myself. Your opinion is worth the same as anyone else. Just be prepared to be lambasted for stating a point of view that is contrary to the point of view of a carebear.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I can understand the airlines stance on this. They are offering a service for 1st class. The customer is buying a service from the airline. They have to provide that level of service to the customer or risk being sued. So I totally understand why they would not want the kid on the plane disrupting all the other people who paid good money to be in first class.

I also don't disagree with them putting them in the very back of the plane. The kid could have been a danger to everyone else on board. I can understand that they maybe over reacted with where they placed the family. But it's gotta be pretty bad if the captain says no.

I remember the only time the captain ever told someone that I personally know of that they couldn't get on the plane was when a guy rolled up so drunk that they had to wheel him around in a wheel chair. The airlines want their money. They wouldn't have said no unless they really thought the kid was out of control.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Qemyst

this is a touchy subject and CAN be discriminant but I did see on the news they were worried due to his seat being near cockpit and didnt know if he could be controlled if needed in a safe way.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Indeed. They say they were worried about his seat being near the cockpit... the cockpit, which due to the threat of terrorism and other nutjobs, is bulletproof and sealed. If the airline claims they were worried about the boy disrupting the pilot, I would have to say that's probably a lie.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

ok you say that the airline is providing a service and that is true enough. The teen and his family paid for the same service in 1st class as the other patrons. Does this not afford him and his family the same respect and rights as the others on the flight who also paid for the up-grade?

Being disabled is not something you can catch, It is not like the flu. Just because you sit near someone who happens to have a disability you cannot magically get the same thing. If more people got to know some of the disabled community they would find that a lot of them are as normal as you and I. But it seems that once you get that label you become some kind of leper. If I allowed people to look at my son in that light what kind of mother would I be. Well my son is a very happy we adjusted little man and shame on people that would shun him or make him feel inferior.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join