page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
What an awesome use of space!

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies and interest, people.

There have been some comments to the effect that this is a "Spanish-language library." Although there are some bilingual signs, it doesn't appear that the library has "only" books in Spanish. I don't get this impression from looking at the home-page of the library, either.

Lots of libraries in America and the other parts of the world contain books in a variety of languages. Since a large part of the population in this area is Hispanic and presumably Spanish-speaking, this doesn't surprise me, or bother me. The library reflects the needs of the people in the area, as it should, IMHO.

The issue of immigration and bilingualism is a thorny one, and not necessarily completely relevant to the main topic of this thread, IMHO.

I don't care what language people are reading in - as long as they are reading, it makes me happy. One man's opinion.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by PvtHudson

I know what you mean, it's just like those ignorant conservatives who bring politics into a topic that has, wait for it......NOTHING to do with it.

On topic, I live in a very small town and our library is a closet. I love to read and wish something like this was near me.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Just like any good idea, there have to be people to bash it. No good deed goes unpunished after all. We live in a nation of cynics. Many responses here really sadden me.

It's not a "foreign" library - if you took a few seconds to actually look at the pictures, you'd see the signs are in Spanish AND English.

As far as books and libraries go, again.. more cynicism - it doesn't necessarily mean that the nation is becoming illiterate. Many people now use electronics to read their books. It's easier, faster, lasts longer, and you can take a library with you wherever you go. I'd say in fact, that reading is probably increasing due to e-book usage. Which is sad for paper books.. but be honest, paper is an absolutely terrible medium to store literary works of any kind. It's novel and classy and heck, I love a library full of books.. I even love how books smell. But paper is just a bad choice for so many reasons.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Can anyone tell me why everything has to make money and cannot just educate our minds. this is a place of learning not a supermarket. I do not take my son to store to learn I take him to a school or a LIBRARY.

As for the duel languages I do wish we had one unified national language. But for one moment what if they are at this library to learn to speak english after all where best to learn but a library. Nifty thought.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
My city has a population under 300k people. We have 5 super walmarts and by every one of these walmarts there is a meijer and for every two walmarts there is a target. It is nutts!!! how can we have that many huge stores in such a small city!! This is not even including the chain grocery stores

I am pretty sure we will hafve some abandoned walmarts soon
edit on 11-9-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
This is just a magical idea! I love it! Wish I had this big sucker in my town.I love my local library don't get me wrong but this is just bad-ass!!!

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Cool use of the space but as others have said its ultimately a waste of resources, portable readers like the Nook and Kindle are crushing the existence of hardcopy books and no amount of fancy decoration in some new library is going to stop it from happening.

As for the point several people have made which I will paraphrase as "why do things have to make money" its quite simple, there is no such thing as a free lunch. In order to pay the rent on the building, wages to staff, upkeep costs to maintain the facility and such a library has to make money somehow, that is unless you want them all to be funded by the government and directly increase how much money you have stolen out of your wallet every time the taxman comes around.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I think that we are going to be entering an interesting decade. It is hard to know how things like the internet, social networking and texting are going to effect the future...

But one theory of mine is that after the novelty wears off, people will go back to doing things like reading and hanging out in person more.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Helig
Cool use of the space but as others have said its ultimately a waste of resources, portable readers like the Nook and Kindle are crushing the existence of hardcopy books and no amount of fancy decoration in some new library is going to stop it from happening.

Allow me to to disagree. No amount of fancy digital tablets can replace the smell and 'feel' of paper. Civilizations were born with books or even disappeared with them (think Alexandria) and when SHTF i will have enough paper to keep my family warm for months and to keep their minds occupied - you will have no electric grid and a broken screen my friend

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder

Meyer, Scherer & Rockcastle transformed an abandoned Walmart in McAllen, Texas, into a 124,500-square-foot public library, the largest single-floor public library in the United States....The library even has an acoustically separated lounge for teens as well as 6 teen computer labs, 16 public meeting spaces, 14 public study rooms, 64 computer labs, 10 children’s computer labs and 2 genealogy computer labs. Other new features include self check-out units, an auditorium, an art gallery, a used bookstore and a cafe.

More at Source (Web Urbanist)

There are so many reasons to be happy about this story, and in a world where communities seem to be disintegrating before our eyes, this is a welcome breath of fresh air.

Wal-Mart and similar "big box stores" are often seen as a form of social blight, stripping communities of their mom-and-pop-store livelihoods, charming neighborhoods, local beauty, and social health. Here is an example of the tables being turned: Out of the ashes of an abandoned big-box monstrosity comes...a library, of all things, and the biggest single-floor one in the US to boot. The concept of opening (rather than closing) a library in this day and age seems almost archaic, but as can be seen at least in McAllen, Texas, the community seems to have strongly and vigorously embraced this new gem: new user registration rose by 23% within the first month after the library’s opening.

It makes me re-consider some of my gloomy assumptions about society: That public space is dying, that the art of reading is on the way out, and that once big-box stores set foot in a community, its a straight-shot downhill. And it makes me wonder in what other ways the disposable, charcterless aspects of postmodern society can be transformed in more positive ways.

edit on 9/9/2012 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

2 Questions for you.

1. When did Wally World abandon the store ?

2. When Wally World abandoned the store, did they move into another building in the area or completely pull out of McAllen ?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
People still read? Back in my day we walked up hill both ways in the snow to read our stone tablets. Now you kids these days with your krimbles and lapfrogs don't even know what a proper reading block is!

Seriously this is awesome. We need more book stores!

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Alright lets say we put all of our books on these new e-books and kindles. Then what? We go to war and the first thing the other side does is drop an EMP blast over the country. Maybe it is not even a war but mother nature rearing her head and we get hit with a EMP blast from the sun, Then where is all of the knowledge. Lost, that's were. On newfangled devices that no longer work.

There is no telling where this country may be in 5 or 10 years but I want to make sure there is the knowledge for the next generations to learn from. Not lost because of people thinking that technology can replace tried and true methods.

As for the money issues, why not take a cue from the libraries around my town. They have added a cafe and a gift store inside the library to help increase revenue. As well as the revenue from late book fines. I think most of us have paid in some at one time or another. I know I have.

This is just one opinion.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
Nice to see in the age that heralds the death of the book store.

Ask a group of modern teens what they read and you will get a bunch of blank stares, sad.

We need more of things like this more than ever.

Yes, it certainly is! I was appalled when Border's closed. Reading is really going down the drain, no one reads anymore, it seems. I have two step sons, they only read when the have to. When I was their age, I read for fun and adventure. It is a sad case.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

What a beautiful place! Thanks for sharing. Made my morning.

Other posters have so well put the reason to have public libraries.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by PvtHudson

Originally posted by Iamschist
Ohhh this is so exciting!! I hope libraries flourish, as librarians are fierce upholders of the right to free speech. An abandoned Walmart into something so wonderful! ding dreams for the future!

I don't have a problem with libraries, but they don't make money, improve the economy or create many jobs....This hatred you extreme liberals have of making money and business is going to ruin this country.

EDIT: It's not even an English library...In America... Another wet dream of the extreme left. Oh yeah, this is just great...
edit on 10-9-2012 by PvtHudson because: (no reason given)

If you look again at the picture, on one side it says non fiction in English, on the other side it's in Spanish, which you would think means books in at least two languages - no?

Libraries don't create jobs? Ok, think that one through a minute. Schools don't create jobs (except for staff of course but the same is true for a library), but they are there to educate and build a richer society - hey, just like a library!!!! It also says there are meeting rooms, computer labs etc. How do you know a reasonable charge is not attached to those additional services? Actually thanks to the very helpful link a little further up, I can answer that question for you -

www.mcallenlibrary.net...

Now that is enterprising, reasonable with concessions for non-profit organisations.

edit on 11-9-2012 by something wicked because: added link

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Not a bad idea at all.

To those who say libraries don't make money, no they don't. Are they supposed to? Would that make them better? They are designed to help enlighten and enrich the citizens. Whether they do that or not depends on the citizens, not the opportunity. If you want to make money at that, open a university. It is not a liberal/conservative thing but if that is all you can see, no sense in talking to the wall.

To those who say libraries are closing, some are. Libraries will have to evolve as it sounds this one is. Lots of IT, less paper. No worries. The medium is irrelevant.

That it is bilingual? In Texas? Really? So what?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Oh good lord people, many libraries have sections with nothing but foreign language books. Seeing as this is Texas, Spanish is the appropriate second language to carry.

I'm a shelver in a library not too far from this. The idea of a library this big both makes me happy as hell and shudder at the thought of all the books. That's just coming from someone that sorts and shelves books for a living though.
But in all seriousness, this is awesome. My library is small, but we're part of a much larger system where patrons can request books from other libraries, so there's a very large selection of books.

Take it from me, people still use libraries. Many libraries are expanding their programs to offer GED and computer classes, and there's also community-centered things like story times (usually once or twice a week) and food banks at holidays. In addition to books, my library also carries DVDs, CDs, Audiobooks, and ESL/foreign language programs. The computers at the library have access to genealogy and job services, and there's homework help centers most weekdays. I can't even begin to tell you the amount of people that come in on a daily basis to use the fax service (yes, people still use those) or the notary. Some of the better off libraries even check out books electronically, so tablet readers can still use both services. Above all, they're generally a safe place to be, and they provide a place for community events. Many kids use mine for after school activities (working on homework, Pokemon league, etc), or just hang out and read while they wait on their parents.

Please pardon the long-winded response. Working at a library for nearly 2 years now has made me realize how great they can still be, and that their services go way beyond just housing dusty, old books.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Not enough money to support a Walmart.
What will Mitt say.
Unload and build elsewhere.
Thanks Mitt.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Library? We'll that's a failure. Everything is going electronic and the internet.

In 10 years time that place will be abandoned too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join