It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something I noticed in Google

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
This is just a little thing, nothing major. But I just wanted to know if anyone else had noticed/experienced the same thing.

So you search for whatever your looking for at the main page, then your results and the 'sponsored results' pop up.

What ive noticed is that the sponsored results will pop up a second or 2 after the main results, what happens is when they pop up, the results page below are pushed down. So if you were about to click on one of the top 2 results, these sponsored results ALWAYS seem to pop up just at the right time for you to accidently click on them instead of what you wanted to click.

Now the 'conspiracy' here is I have no doubt that someone will be getting paid everytime one of these sponsored links is clicked.

Yes the amount generated through click-thrus is small, like $0.01 per click, or maybe even smaller. But imagine this, 3 billion searches per day go through google, say 20% of these searchers click the sponsored result link by accident, thats still 600,000,000 clicks every day!

At a click thru rate of $0.01 per click, thats $600,000 per day!

Ok its not much of a conspiracy, but its bloody well clever

Edit: Sorry I should mention this generally happens only when you look for a product or something, doesnt happen on all searches, but yea go ahead and try it. Type in something like where to buy samsung phone, put your pointer as if to click the top link and let the sponsored links load up.
edit on 9-9-2012 by Idonthaveabeard because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I hate that damn thing. I've been caught a few times and it's just a pain in the ass. I'm trying new engines now because of this.

Peace

ETA:

Just found this info on removing it:

www.im-infected.com...

I used the FF fix and Ta-Da!

Peace

edit on 9-9-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-9-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Idonthaveabeard

The sponsored ads appear at the same time as the search results for me, no matter what I'm searching for

As for $0.01 per click.......the sponsored ads at the top of google will be paying a lot more than that!.....I make my living online, and one of my sites featured a google ad the other week that was paying £1.05 per click!.....happy days!!

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Maybe it depends on computers then or connection. I tried it about 5 times before I made the post and it did it everytime. And I just said $0.01 per click to be conservative, I thought it would have been more with it being Google anyway.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I no longer use google for searching.

Have you tried this:

When you search, do the sponsored results appear at the same intervals, eg, 2 seconds ish. Or do you think it is dependant on your click if done quite quickly?

This would show if it is a pre programmed action rather than bad timing.

I'll try this out........

hmmmm, I don't get sponsored results when I google search. I must be doing something right, he he.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Its not dependant on click, they always seem to come a set time after results load.

And try searching for brands or products, thats when they appear most.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
This doesn't happen for me.
I searched vitamins, sony headphones, iPhone, samsung galaxy s3, every time the sponsored results appeared at the exact same time as the main search results.

Maybe it has to do with your browser? I use Chrome and logged into Google.
I tested with Firefox, while not logged into Google and same thing, sponsored results appear at the exact same time as main results. Tested with explorer too and same thing.
edit on 9/9/12 by Kr0nZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

As Jude11 pointed out I think you might have some issue with adware as I don't get anything like what you're mentioning.

You might try running the free version of malwarebytes here or follow the instructions that Jude11 linked to
edit on 9-9-2012 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Try 60 cents for my websites key words.... Totally unrealistic for a hobby site.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Are you talking about the ats search engine?
Just try it because it works just the same now.$$

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Don't forget about your signature.
I think it's ok to put links there.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadeyedick
reply to post by elouina

Don't forget about your signature.
I think it's ok to put links there.

There are some things I prefer to keep separate.

edit on 9-9-2012 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   

I've noticed that too. Thing is, it only happens when you use a slow browser. That's my experience, anyway.

That's why I don't use internet explorer anymore. Firefox and Chrome are doing battle in the foreground, while IE eats glue on the sidelines.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
happens to me... even if other things are loading fast. I noticed it and thought it was very odd before... because it seems I recall there being something suspicious about where it would always have me wind up clicking.

There seems to be other examples of things like this but I will have to run into them again to be more specific. I can't recall off the top of my head.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
I know what you mean OP but let me tell ya

Google is not the "face" of the Internet. I can't stand when people say "oh juss google it" drives me nuts..

Anyway..try using startPage.com or ixquick.com for searches.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Hello OP,

you have NO idea how much money Google is making from Adwords.

"Pennies per click?" - those times are long over.

For certain niches (insurance for example, weight loss etc.).....a single click can EASILY cost $10 or more. ($10 is actually on the low side here, some keywords can cost $50 or more).

By the way, i tried what you said to see whether Google "pushes down" the actual search results, but cannot confirm this. Maybe you have a slow internet/browser? For me there is no delay, both things appear at the same time, instantly.
edit on 10-9-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Looks like it varys then, I use chrome I have ad blocker on aswell if that makes any difference.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Ad-Block is an amazing thing. I use Ad-Block Plus on Chrome. I haven't seen an online ad in over 2 years. No Youtube ads. No Google ads. No audio ads. Nothing. Couple this with a good pop-up blocker and the internet is a glorious place where you no longer have products shoved down your throat.

new topics

top topics

join