It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Say a phrase, and you are saved...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I have been around many Christians, and most will say, all it takes to get saved is to say something along these lines:

"I believe that Jesus Christ came in the flesh, died for my sins, and rose again"

Then the person who makes them say this phrase, says now you are saved.

Anyone can say this phrase, (besides the cast out ones), this doesn't mean you are truly saved and are now a believer.

My question would be:
- Why do many think this is all it takes, just say a one line sentence, and now you are given access to heaven?
- Doesn't it take more (faith, works, belief) to be a true believer?
- Why isn't it explained that it takes more than a few sentences to be truly saved?

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Why isn't it explained that it takes more than a few sentences to be truly saved?

it is explained...

16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
never did understand that one ... according to that at the very end even someone like hitler could say it and all would be forgiven ...
its one of many things about christianity that never has... never will make sense...
edit on 9/9/12 by Expat888 because: correcting mistranslation ..

edit on 9/9/12 by Expat888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Well, obviously it isn't just the words.

It is the conviction and intent behind them.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi
Well, obviously it isn't just the words.

It is the conviction and intent behind them.

But, this is not explained. I have observed this on many occasions, in many different places on this Earth. As long as the person says it, they are saved.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Really? I get the feeling if you ask them, no matter who "they" are, that "What if the person doesn't really mean it, or if the person is lying?", they'll say "Oh, in that case, it won't work" or whatever.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi
reply to post by jhill76

Really? I get the feeling if you ask them, no matter who "they" are, that "What if the person doesn't really mean it, or if the person is lying?", they'll say "Oh, in that case, it won't work" or whatever.

That is my point. (You must not follow me on these boards)

How can the person presiding over these things, automatically say you are saved, without knowing the true intent behind the other persons words?

The way it stands now, people can think, all I have to do is say those words and I can get into heaven.
edit on 9-9-2012 by jhill76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

I don't actually follow you, sorry

Again, I can't be sure, but I can't think that anyone would actually think "Hey, I might not actually believe any of this stuff, but supposedly if I say these words, I will be saved. So I'll do it!"

Generally, as far as I have seen, the saying of the words is taken as a public declaration of actual faith (unless the person saying it is a child, or being coerced in some way or something).

Again, I'm not sure, but I highly doubt a situation ever came up where after someone had said the words, someone mentioned the rest of it, and they went all "Oh no! I thought all I needed to do was say the words! Why do I have to believe these things?!"
It may have happened that someone (thought they) honestly accepted a certain belief into their hearts, and said the words, and later (on looking at the scripture or something), realised they don't actually agree with that, and they fell away, but that isn't really the same thing.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

I think this line of thinking comes from Paul...

Faith saves people with help from the "grace" of God... Which seems to open the idea of having the golden ticket to sin. Also this "grace" was nothing taught by Jesus...

Either way i believe everyone is "saved" so to speak... religious "authorities" use fear tactics to scare people into their cults. "IF you're not with us... you'll burn"

I don't buy it

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
It is step one.
The only works required are repentance and faith in what you said.
With that comes the desire not to sin and give yourself to the choice you know is right in your heart.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

I think you've found one of the differences between Protestantism and Catholicism. As I understand it, and please correct me, Protestants go for the "Once saved, always saved" theory, while the Catholics seem to be more interested in the state of your soul at the time of your death.

Surprisingly enough, Catholics believe that one can go to Heaven without ever hearing of Jesus.

I don't suppose it will do much good to discuss doctrinal differences between Christian groups, just be aware that they exist.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

I was raised in an ultra religious Pentecostal environment. It was constantly pounded into my head, that if there is a sin being harbored, something not confessed and held in secret or in denial, even though you believe and confess Jesus to be the savior, if the "rapture" or death should happen before confession of sin, you are &^%( out of luck!

Fortunately, I don't believe God is that strict anymore.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Saying the words is not enough,you have to believe in your heart.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Funny, i don't remember Jesus saying anything about mouthing any words to be saved. Many times he stressed the importance of believing in him to recieve salvation. In fact, if you had to mouth the words to be saved there'd be alot of deaf/mutes going to sheol and mentally handicaped folks and babies. He reads hearts and minds, if you confess in your heart and repent it's good enough. You acknowledge the conviction of the Holy Spirit.
edit on 9-9-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by jhill76

I was raised in an ultra religious Pentecostal environment. It was constantly pounded into my head, that if there is a sin being harbored, something not confessed and held in secret or in denial, even though you believe and confess Jesus to be the savior, if the "rapture" or death should happen before confession of sin, you are &^%( out of luck!

Fortunately, I don't believe God is that strict anymore.

Yeah i didn't buy that either, thats why i became a missionary baptist.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
Funny, i don't remember Jesus saying anything about mouthing any words to be saved. Many times he stressed the importance of believing in him to recieve salvation. In fact, if you had to mouth the words to be saved there'd be alot of deaf/mutes going to sheol and mentally handicaped folks and babies. He reads hearts and minds, if you confess in your heart and repent it's good enough. You acknowledge the conviction of the Holy Spirit.
edit on 9-9-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

Exactly. But, in many churches this is not explained in detail.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
I have been around many Christians, and most will say, all it takes to get saved is to say something along these lines:

"I believe that Jesus Christ came in the flesh, died for my sins, and rose again"

Then the person who makes them say this phrase, says now you are saved.

Anyone can say this phrase, (besides the cast out ones), this doesn't mean you are truly saved and are now a believer.

My question would be:
- Why do many think this is all it takes, just say a one line sentence, and now you are given access to heaven?
- Doesn't it take more (faith, works, belief) to be a true believer?
- Why isn't it explained that it takes more than a few sentences to be truly saved?

An effective way to help somebody understand their need, that they are a sinner, is a simple prayer of confession. The sinners prayer is just that a simple confession
People do make false confessions in all forms of life. If its a false confession then its not valid. That is not hard to understand?

If a person confesses honestly, thats enough. The rest was accomplished by Christ not us.

Faith comes from God, not the person livingtheology.com...

the works, from Christ on the cross, not humanity covenant-theology.blogspot.com.au...

While your point is not completely invalid it is not valid. All it takes is a confession, spoken aloud or from within to God, sincerely.
Thats the key point, surely that must be obvious.

and if your question is why does it cost so little to receive access to heaven, its because that is what is asked for.
Your question though is upside down. It doesnt cost a little, it cost Jesus His life. It cost everything.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by jhill76

Saying the words is not enough,you have to believe in your heart.

Yeah but believing only comes by conviction of the Spirit.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by jhill76

I think you've found one of the differences between Protestantism and Catholicism. As I understand it, and please correct me, Protestants go for the "Once saved, always saved" theory, while the Catholics seem to be more interested in the state of your soul at the time of your death.

No thats not entirely true, Calvinist protestants go the "Once saved, always saved" theory,
There are other theological bents and no real answers
Many cases of Christians turning to atheism, were they ever Christians in the first place?

carm.org...

I am going to serve my God and leave all the theology to Him.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by borntowatch

Your question though is upside down. It doesnt cost a little, it cost Jesus His life. It cost everything.

I know of these things more than you can fathom. My problem lies in the preachers who spew this nonsense, thus is my question. Not, the individual confessing it from the heart.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join