It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop Learns What it's All About. (Video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Know your rights and you will most likely know more than those who would attempt to strip you of those rights.

Amazing video that shows how to deal with a common situation that happens all too often. These people clearly know their rights more than the officer but as you get further into the vid it becomes obvious that the officer is not only being schooled but has a genuine interest in what the people have to say.

Although the cop tried to do what he's been taught, he took a few minutes, listened and thought for himself as to what was right and wrong and what a citizen's rights are all about.

So how did this not become a messy situation? A citizen knew his rights and a cop had the patience and willingness to actually listen with an open mind. This is how it should be done.

Just thought I'd post it for a view.

Peace

edit on 9-9-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

This is probably the best site out there to help you know your rights in police encounters:

www.flexyourrights.org...

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
reply to post by jude11

This is probably the best site out there to help you know your rights in police encounters:

www.flexyourrights.org...

I know the site and I believe that everyone should have it bookmarked.

If more people knew their rights and calmly explained this to officers, there would be less police wrong doings and brutality IMO. It won't eliminate all of it but it would certainly make many cops think twice about what they're doing.

And then again maybe I'm being idealistic.

Peace

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Knowing your rights doesn't really protect you from the abuses, but it will help you out in a court of law. If you've used your rights properly, then the court of law should find in your favor. Sometimes there are overzealous authoritarian cops (I have nothing nice to say about those bastards) who just don't care about you and will stomp you for no reason at all.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Thanks for posting

I live in the uk, not quite so bad over here..yet!

Refreshing to see both parties staying calm. Nice to see people standing up for their rights.

Those cops were struggling against the programming they've recieved, I give them 10 outa 10 for breaking through it.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
That was just simply awesome.
I love how the cops try to keep the upperrhand but Mr lawyer over here knows he's got this...
Educate your public service workers

edit on 9-9-2012 by ElOmen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
reply to post by jude11

Knowing your rights doesn't really protect you from the abuses, but it will help you out in a court of law. If you've used your rights properly, then the court of law should find in your favor. Sometimes there are overzealous authoritarian cops (I have nothing nice to say about those bastards) who just don't care about you and will stomp you for no reason at all.

Believe me when I say that I am no fan of cops either but in this case I can grant a smidgen of respect for the MAN in the uniform. He took the time to actually listen instead of just launching an attack.

Peace

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Those cops were struggling against the programming they've recieved

That's a great observation. "Struggling against their programming".

I like it.

Peace

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

While I agree people should be aware of their rights, I think these two guys were acting like punks. They could have provided ID and went on their way rather than go through 20 minutes of BS. Check this out….this cop just said screw it!

I have a concealed carry license so I gave up the freedom of refusing to show ID…..I think it was a good trade off!

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElOmen
That was just simply awesome.
I love how the cops try to keep the upperrhand but Mr lawyer over here knows he's got this...
Educate your public service workers

edit on 9-9-2012 by ElOmen because: (no reason given)

Considering the nature of the call these officers were responding to, and the proximity of these guys to that call, I think the cops could have easily arrested them for hindering their investigation….I would have. My tolerance for arrogance and stupidity is low. That’s one reason I didn’t become a cop like a lot of my Marine Corps buddies did after we got out.

They could have played it cool, showed ID and been on their way. Why not help the cops out rather than being a dick?

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I'm not a fan either, but I try to be more even handed than the cop haters or the cop lovers.

Sometimes you get a bad cop, sometimes you get a good cop. They each should be judged as individuals rather than by guilt by association.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

This scenario is almost identical. The officer was responding to a call about a fight and this guy was arrested for not showing his ID. The guy was NOT operating his vehicle so he shouldn't have been required to, right? Supposedly the case went to the Supreme Court and the guy lost. I think the "call" that the officer was responding to is the deciding factor. Those two wise guys in Rhode Island were lucky their mouths didn't cost them a few hours in jail.

People should just relax and be cool when questioned by police. They're not out to get you (well...most of them aren't) and if you're not guilty then there's no reason to act a fool IMO.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

What I liked is that it shows that the cops don't even know their constitutional rights and they do not care. They just try to scare you with their badges and fear talk sometimes even making stuff up so they don't look stupid.

The first coo from the op learned his lesson and other cop was just a prick.

top topics

join