It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this a volcanic rock on Mars?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I found this image on the NASA/JPL site.

They are only in greyscale with a bayer filter applied. I found a way to colorize them, but it's a pain in the butt, and it doesn't come out perfect. Anyways:

This rock looks interesting - volcanic. I don't know much about geology, so it would be cool to see some input on this.

And also if someone knows how to de-bayer these images better, please lets work on these images!

NASA/JPL's:

My attempt at de-bayering. Resolution is lost by 1/2 when de-bayering.

And resized back to the original:

Interesting rock. What are the implications?

From Sol 20:

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 9/9/2012 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

Whats the problem with a volcanic rock

There are volcanoes on Mars

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
The rock shaped like a pyramid behind it is what interests me!!!

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

It certainly looks like a volcanic rock.
So, what are the implications of volcanic rocks on Mars? That there are volcanoes on Mars. Which we know already. In fact, Mars is home to Olympus Mons, the largest volcano in the Solar System.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008

Whats the problem with a volcanic rock

There are volcanoes on Mars

I just thought Mars was geologically dead for a long time. And I don't remember seeing any of these rocks so up close, or at all. But there are a lot of images.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Naw, that's not volcanic rock, that's just some coprolite.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Geologically dead and volcanic rocks on the surface aren't exactly mutually exclusive. Nothing new geologically has happened at this island I live on for the past several hundred million years, but it's still one giant volcanic rock (albeit with houses and stuff on it). So far, no houses on Mars, though.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime

Geologically dead and volcanic rocks on the surface aren't exactly mutually exclusive. Nothing new geologically has happened at this island I live on for the past several hundred million years, but it's still one giant volcanic rock (albeit with houses and stuff on it). So far, no houses on Mars, though.

Thanks. I appreciate it. I knew this would be the place that I could get an answer in such a polite and non-sarcastic way. After all, the only stupid question is the one that is not asked, right?

But yeah. Lots of cool looking rocks on Mars. I love it.

Original NASA greyscale image:

edit on 9/10/2012 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

There are definitely lots of cool rocks on Mars. Just as there are lots of cool rocks on Earth (we've got a whole collection of fancy-shaped rocks here on a shelf). And we even have some cool Mars rocks on Earth, which got here from Martian asteroid impacts and such.

Which makes me think...wouldn't it be really cool to find an Earth rock on Mars?

top topics

join