It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9/11 memorial to cost $60 million a year to operate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
9/11 memorial to cost $60 million a year to operate

With its huge reflecting pools, ringed by waterfalls and skyscrapers, and a cavernous underground museum still under construction, the National Sept. 11 Memorial and Museum at the World Trade Center is an awesome spectacle that moved and inspired some 4.5 million visitors in its first year. But all that eye-welling magnificence comes with a jaw-dropping price tag. The foundation that runs the memorial estimates that once the roughly $700 million project is complete, it will cost $60 million a year to operate. The anticipated cost has bothered some critics and raised concerns even among the memorial's allies that the budget may be unsustainable without a hefty government subsidy.

700 million to build this ugly monstrosity and 60 million a year to operate? The tax payers already put 300 million into this project and we shouldn't have to pay another dime. The taxpayers of this nation had no say what was going to be built on that site so let New York pay for it. They should have just turned it into a park with a wall with the victims names on it like the Vietnam memorial.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

A memorial, IMHO, should be constructed to stand the test of time. Like the Giza pyramids, as an example. Names of the wounded cut into rock would suffice.

Can this monument stand the test of time? with 60 million each year just to "operate" it, it doesn´t seem like it will last very long at all...

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Can't the 9/11 just be about the people who lost their lives and the memorial, regardless of its cost or what you think would have better, just be a tribute in memory.

On your list of all the things that are f'ed up in the US with regards to tax payer dollars, this should be on the very bottom of the list. It is, on mine.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeoVain
reply to post by buster2010

Can this monument stand the test of time? with 60 million each year just to "operate" it, it doesn´t seem like it will last very long at all...

And freshwater running low? Tisk, tisk. The Vietnam memorial for all it's original debate over Maya Lin's design didn't get close to that cost. I hope they at least have the good sense to recycle that water.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Russia sent us a LOVELY memorial statue. dunno why we don't showcase that.
it got shoved somewhere in Jersey.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Adding insult to injury.

People should be outraged.

edit on 9-9-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I dont mind paying for the Memorial, through Tax Dollars, or Personal Donations. If anyone has taken the time to actually view a memorial, and what it brings to people, they would have no cares about cost.

Lest we forget..............

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I have a feeling some would bitch moan and complain about anything involving 9/11 and probably don't give a Rats furry butt about the victims or their surviving loved ones and family members.
edit on 9-9-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
A beautiful tribute or monument doesn't have to cost millions of dollars a year. No one will forget the victims or the tragedy that occurred. Think of all the poor people we could feed with that kind of money or the shelters that could be built. If I were a victim or a family member of a victim, I would still see this as a waste. A beautiful monument yes, one that costs millions of dollars a year, no.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
I have a feeling some would bitch moan and complain about anything involving 9/11 and probably don't give a Rats furry butt about the victims or their surviving loved ones and family members.
edit on 9-9-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

I highly doubt that there are people who don't give a rats furry butt about the victims or their surviving loved ones and family members. People care deeply about the tragedy. It is kept alive in our memories and hearts.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
A beautiful tribute or monument doesn't have to cost millions of dollars a year. No one will forget the victims or the tragedy that occurred. Think of all the poor people we could feed with that kind of money or the shelters that could be built. If I were a victim or a family member of a victim, I would still see this as a waste. A beautiful monument yes, one that costs millions of dollars a year, no.

A agree. It's totally excessive, and unnecessary, no matter how "inspiring" it may be. The victims' families, and the New Yorkers who lived through it personally, as well as anyone who viewed the unfolding terror on TV will never forget the occasion. No need to "gild the lily", so to speak. Keep it simple and heartfelt instead. There is no need of grandstanding or posturing here, nor is it appropriate.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Why exactly would it cost that much? This stuff never makes any sense to me. Like how it costs you $1500 to get hooked up to a bag of IV and not even get diagnosed in the ER. People just slap a price on anything, it's ridiculous. Give me the job and I'll keep cost under a million. Guaranteed.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Why am I not surprised?. I guarantee it is not that much.....I know this how? Because everyone has been paid off already....

edit on 10-9-2012 by KonquestAbySS because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join