It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death threats surround 9/11 memorial event

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Guys are dying of cancer and have to fight to get benefits for treatment, while some people donate money for fire equipment in other countries. What's wrong with this picture?

Charity faces intense heat from firefighters over fundraising

“I enjoy getting ugly and violent with this a–hole and will continue to do so until he is fully exposed,” decried an outspoken critic using the name Alan Jacoby. “He uses 9/11 to solicit donations so he can buy used fire equipment at discounted prices and donate it to 3rd world countries. This does nothing to benefit 9/11 victims families and responders.”

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Just about every "good cause" asking for donations ends up in some scumbags pocket nowadays with none of it going to the "good cause".

Why are people so foolish to donate money anymore? You are just giving some scumbag another person to LAUGH at all the way to the bank. And that person being laughed at is YOU for donating to this scumbags pocket...
edit on 9-9-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Well if the money actually makes its way for the training and gear, why is that so bad? Do people think any money donated makes its way to victims or first responders?

More to the point, does obtaining money make the pain of the event any less worse?

The guy has a point in trying to make something good come from the events of 9/11.

That is if it actually goes to the cause rather than someone's account in the caymen islands.
edit on 9-9-2012 by cconn487 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by cconn487
Well if the money actually makes its way for the training and gear, why is that so bad? Do people think any money donated makes its way to victims or first responders?

More to the point, does obtaining money make the pain of the event any less worse?

The guy has a point in trying to make something good come from the events of 9/11.

That is if it actually goes to the cause rather than someone's account in the caymen islands.

He uses the money to buy equipment for foreign countries... The First Responders who are sick because of the ground zero dust need the help. Take care of our own damn it !

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
That guy can do whatever he wants with the charity money, same with the people giving it to him.

It's none of your business..

The fact it's actually going to a good cause...you should be thankful for that..
edit on 9-9-2012 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by maxella1

Originally posted by cconn487

He uses the money to buy equipment for foreign countries... The First Responders who are sick because of the ground zero dust need the help. Take care of our own damn it !

Picking and choosing who deserves to be helped seems kind of wrong to me. At least the guy is attempting to help. Most people couldn't care less.

The whole us vs them mentality these days is getting old.

As long as a single person located anywhere on this entire planet benefits from someone's good will, to call it bad seems quite silly.

The "us vs them" thing was the whole reason 9/11 happened!

It will happen again, maybe not in the US, but it will keep happening until it reaches the US again. Its a fact. You can't hide yourself from the world.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

I don't see that the nationality of the sufferer has any bearing. You can best help First Responders by guaranteeing them healthcare. If it was not for the nature of American health insurance then they would have significantly less stress and need.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by maxella1

As long as he's not defrauding people out of their donations, no one has the right to be screaming about it!

People will donate to the causes they want to donate to, maybe those twisted FDNY idiots should be considering how petty and pathetic this makes THEM look?

I agree that the first responders should have all the treatment and care they need, so where is all the screaming and protest at government? Why is there no national movement to get this done?

All the anger is being directed at the wrong people here. Your GOVERNMENT is to blame for not preventing the attacks, your GOVERNMENT is to blame for not caring for those who risked their lives to save people, your GOVERNMENT is to blame for not providing the miniscule (in comparison to waste in other areas) finances needed to care for all of the first responders and their families with top quality medical care.

People need to get off their fat asses and protest, write, talk, scream, march, do whatever it takes to hold your f'ing government responsible for the mess they created and have allowed to continue.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by exponent

I don't see that the nationality of the sufferer has any bearing. You can best help First Responders by guaranteeing them healthcare. If it was not for the nature of American health insurance then they would have significantly less stress and need.

Dont worry these are the people who will "always remember" a dark part of our history and will keep it fresh in the minds of American's for decades to come.

Why people want to remember a tragedy and relive it over and over, year after year, instead of moving on and using it to change things for the better (like the guy int he article is trying to do) eludes me.

You can't change the past, it happened. Not to sound like I don't care, but get over it, I'm sure loved ones killed or hurt would rather people get on with their lives than use their name to cause more violence.

When you think about it, sounds like what most "terrorists" use as fuel to carry out attacks of this manner. A vicious cycle that can be broken, if people only have the will to do so.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Wow you people are just amazing... This guy is using 9/11 to get donations and then takes that money and buys equipment for firefighters in other countries. At the same time we have firemen dropping dead and they have to fight the government to get benefits for their treatment.

Why not use the donations for these firemen first? and if you don't want to do that than don't do it in the name of 9/11.

It's nobodies business to who you donate money, but if you donate in the name of the 9/11 victims that money should go to the 9/11 victims.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Wow you people are just amazing... This guy is using 9/11 to get donations and then takes that money and buys equipment for firefighters in other countries. At the same time we have firemen dropping dead and they have to fight the government to get benefits for their treatment.

Why not use the donations for these firemen first? and if you don't want to do that than don't do it in the name of 9/11.

The founder of this group is one of these firemen and I still don't quite understand how this charity is something to be disliked. They have information on their participation here but with a broken link. Some googling quickly finds information though.

What is so bad about trying to help firefighters around the world? These people put their lives on the line to save others and deserve charitable support.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
He chooses to help other countries who don't even have fire departments or training. At least the US has fire departments. Sure some may be underfunded, sure people are hurt in the line of duty, but that was a choice one takes to help others out. And I commend that wholeheartedly.

Imagine the US had no fire departments, your house was burning to the ground, or any other emergency where lives are on the line. Now imagine there is a country with fire departments scattered around its country, they have training, they have equipment, every essential to get to a disaster site quickly and effectively.

Now wouldn't it be nice for someone, not under any order, just the goodness of their hearts, raises money for training and equipment and sends it to your country and builds its first few modern fire departments.

He isn't the first person to use a tragedy to raise collections. Unicef, kony 2012, charities for multiple diseases with no cure. Where is the cure some of these organizations promise to one day find? At least this guy delivers something while most have been collecting for decades and haven't seen very much int he way of progress.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by exponent

What is so bad about trying to help firefighters around the world? These people put their lives on the line to save others and deserve charitable support.

Absolutely nothing wrong with helping firefighters around the world.. But if you going to collect donations in the name of those who died on 9/11 and we have firemen who survived 9/11 and need our help... well you get my point.

Death threats are wrong and disgusting but what this guy is doing is also wrong. First Responders need help, if you want to help by donating money in the name of 9/11 it would be nice if you would help the ones who came to the rescue that day. That's all I'm saying.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Absolutely nothing wrong with helping firefighters around the world.. But if you going to collect donations in the name of those who died on 9/11 and we have firemen who survived 9/11 and need our help... well you get my point.

Death threats are wrong and disgusting but what this guy is doing is also wrong. First Responders need help, if you want to help by donating money in the name of 9/11 it would be nice if you would help the ones who came to the rescue that day. That's all I'm saying.

I believe he's collecting donations in his own name as someone who was a volunteer at the 911 site. Like I said in the previous post, a bit of fairly trivial googling indicates that this foundation does help 911 responders directly as well as their charitable outreach.

I don't see that what he's doing is wrong at all.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

I don't see that what he's doing is wrong at all.

Yeah that's because you don't see the consequences the first responders have to deal with. What he should do is separate his collections campaign. One should be for the firemen abroad and the other one for firemen here. I have a feeling that people would donate more for firemen here. That's my opinion only of course. I'll say it again threatening and harassing the guy and his family is very wrong and should stop.
It's great helping other countries and all but we are in a lot of trouble here at home. Take care of your own first.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Yeah that's because you don't see the consequences the first responders have to deal with. What he should do is separate his collections campaign. One should be for the firemen abroad and the other one for firemen here. I have a feeling that people would donate more for firemen here.

I don't need to see someone suffering in person to know that they are suffering. I simply think there are much better ways of helping them. Ensuring a national healthcare system exists would be my choice, but I am British so I have the luxury of the NHS.

It's great helping other countries and all but we are in a lot of trouble here at home. Take care of your own first.

I disagree. You should help those you are best able to help. There are already countless funds to help 911 first responders, this is the first I've ever seen to provide firefighting equipment and training for poorer countries. I argue that they are in fact doing an excellent thing and genuinely don't see a valid criticism.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Ensuring a national healthcare system exists would be my choice, but I am British so I have the luxury of the NHS.

How is that working for you?

You should help those you are best able to help.

That's nice... Like I said I feel that people would donate more for the firemen here at home than abroad if they had a choice. This guy collects money using 9/11 without asking people who they would like to help. This is just another thing that we will have to agree to disagree on.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

How is that working for you?

Fantastically, it's one of the most efficient health systems in the world. Even with the changes made by the Tories it remains invaluable. It's so much a part of our country it was honoured in the Olympic Opening Ceremony.

This is just another thing that we will have to agree to disagree on.

Indeed, I believe I have said my part.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

It's so much a part of our country it was honoured in the Olympic Opening Ceremony.

I enjoyed the Olympics this year. You guy did a good job.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by maxella1

I agree, we were all concerned about it being a horrible display of ineptitude but it was pulled off with surprising class. The Paralympics too were for the most part excellently handled. It's nice to see we can agree on some things.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join