It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Santorini Rises 14cm Up to Sea Level

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
just on dutch msm

www.nu.nl...

Magma pushes up Greek island

SANTORINI / LONDON - The Greek island of Santorini on volcanic rock hopes. This is the island still slightly higher above sea lie.

Photo: Reuters

According to a study by British scientists, that Sunday was published in the science journal Nature Geoscience.

Between January 2011 and April 2012, Santorini thus 14 centimeters higher above sea come to lie.

According to British scientists there in over a year time 10 to 20 million cubic meters magma from deep layers of the earth,streamed into the volcano . Normally there 10 to 20 years to.

next eruption

The researchers also see the inhabitants of the island, the volcano behaves differently. Yet they can not predict when the next eruption.

Santorini, a tourist attraction, is a volcanic island. The last major eruption was 3600 years ago. The surrounding islands were then buried under meters of pumice.

edit on 9-9-2012 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-9-2012 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/9/12 by GENERAL EYES because: *amended all caps title

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

I'm sorry but it seems your bablefish is off.....

Thanks for the heads up though, I think?.

Peace
edit on 9-9-2012 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I found a link to an article written in english. Thanks for the info OP!

Santorini Volcano Fills Up With Magma

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

yep was google translate....wat else.....

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

No problem, the message was clear.

I was following Puterman's thread on Santorini when I saw your post. Good to know people are on top of things. Keep up the good work.

Peace

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Ok, what i got out of that is:

Santorini has risen 14 centimeters in the past year and a half or so.

Generally it takes 20yrs for that type of rise to occur.

Pretty cool.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
Ok, what i got out of that is:

Santorini has risen 14 centimeters in the past year and a half or so.

Generally it takes 20yrs for that type of rise to occur.

Pretty cool.

Still though I am relieved.

I was hoping it didn't mean 14cm overnight.
The headline didn't specify so you never know...

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

I'm not sure I read it as implying an eruption could happen within 10-20 years this is likely the only significant volcanic inflation here since the last eruption of 1939-41 and according to the English source posted above is roughly equivalent to 50% of the amount expelled in previous eruptions. This inflation was over a period of one year so that if it was to continue at its present rate you could possible infer a volcano ready to erupt in another couple years.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
We better start keeping an eye, few days ago I read the Aconcagua in South America was found higher than initialy mesured, they said because they mesured again using better technology....hmmm.

Aconcagua, the highest mountain in the Americas, is 2.4 metres higher than the 6 964 metres measured in 1989, according to new scientific research using state-of-the-art technology.

www.timeslive.co.za...

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/vaop/ncurrent/abs/ngeo1562.html
dx.doi.org/10.1038/ngeo1562

Evolution of Santorini Volcano dominated by episodic and rapid fluxes of melt from depth

* Michelle M. Parks,1
* Juliet Biggs,2
* Philip England,1
* Tamsin A. Mather,1
* Paraskevi Nomikou,3
* Kirill Palamartchouk,1, 4
* Xanthos Papanikolaou,5
* Demitris Paradissis,5
* Barry Parsons,1
* David M. Pyle,1
* Costas Raptakis5
* & Vangelis Zacharis5

Nature Geoscience (2012) | doi:10.1038/ngeo1562

Received 26 March 2012 | Accepted 03 August 2012 | Published online 09 September 2012

Abstract

Santorini Volcano, the site of the catastrophic Minoan eruption in Greece, exhibits two distinct eruptive styles: small, effusive eruptions occur relatively frequently and build shields and domes of lava, whereas large explosive eruptions occur rarely, at intervals of 10,000–30,000 years. Both types of eruption were thought to incubate in a shallow magma chamber that is continually charged by small batches of melt injected into the chamber from below. However, petrological work suggests that at least 15% of the material ejected during the Minoan explosive eruption arrived in the magma chamber less than 100 years before the eruption. Here we use Satellite Radar Interferometry (InSAR) and Global Positioning System (GPS) measurements of surface deformation at Santorini to show that 10–20 million m3 of magma have been intruded beneath the volcano since January 2011. This volume is equivalent to 10–50% of the volumes of recorded dome-forming eruptions. GPS and triangulation data show that this is the only volumetrically significant intrusion to have occurred since 1955, shortly after the last eruption. Our observations imply that whether Santorini is in an explosive or dome-forming phase, its shallow magma chamber is charged episodically by high-flux batches of magma. The durations of these events are short in comparison with the intervening periods of repose and their timing is controlled by the dynamics of deeper magma reservoirs.

Affiliations

Department of Earth Sciences, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford, OX1 3AN, UK
* Michelle M. Parks,
* Philip England,
* Tamsin A. Mather,
* Kirill Palamartchouk,
* Barry Parsons &
* David M. Pyle
School of Earth Sciences, University of Bristol, Bristol, BS8 1RJ, UK
* Juliet Biggs
Department of Geology and Geoenvironment, University of Athens, Athens, Nomikou GR-15784, Greece
* Paraskevi Nomikou
School of Civil Engineering and Geosciences, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU, UK
* Kirill Palamartchouk
Higher Geodesy Laboratory, National Technical University, Athens, NTUA GR-15780, Greece
* Xanthos Papanikolaou,
* Demitris Paradissis,
* Costas Raptakis &
* Vangelis Zacharis

(...)

edit on 9-9-2012 by wujotvowujotvowujotvo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by wujotvowujotvowujotvo

Thanks for posting the info here.

I got to say that those reports always leave a lot to the imagination. I think the grammar usage of scientists is purposefully vague to save their a$$es come grant time.

All they will say is that it is 10-50% of the magma volume from a small eruption? Another thing is that half of the magma from earlier eruptions probably took about a hundred years to form? Is that a significant relationship to this amount of magma over 1 years time?

Why not compare apples to apples?

Why not say that the amount of magma built up over the last year took 100 years to build during the last big event if that is what you mean? Always got to cover their a$$es. Purposely vague to make people draw their own conclusion without having to take responsibility for a possible miscalculation or unpopular information.

I just wish once there was a straight talkin scientist who didn't feel it was necessary to cover his A$$ every time there was a report to write.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

Last eruption was 1450 B.C. just before the hebrew Exodus from Egypt.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Santorini lifted up 14 cm in an year time...

and approx 10 to 20 million m3 magma came into the chamber from the depth last year.....normally it takes ten to twenty years for such an amount to flow up....

all and all very disturbing data.... for an VEI 6 volcano...

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

The last eruption was about 3600 years ago?
Well this number sounds somehow pretty familiar, doesn't it?

edit on 10-9-2012 by mrMasterJoe because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join