It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winter Might Be Here Early

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Hey guys. Im not that knowledgeable on what im saying this is merely what an experienced fisherman has told me.

I was down in Destin, Florida fishing today and the guy we were renting the boat from us an experienced captain and has seen a great deal of seasonal changes down there. The wind was blowing fairly strong and constant for the entire morning. According to the captain and i saw it too, the wind was blowing North, something he said he's never seen during September. It caught him so much by surprised that his bass boat in the bay was blown over in the night when the wind changed. When the northern winds start he normally doesn't leave the boat in the water.

According to him a northern wind is something that happens very occasionally in late october, not early September. He said that a northern wind is what they've always used as a sign of winter approaching and hes completely shocked that we have one right now.

Of course this is entirely speculation. What do you guys think? I know Georgia had almost no winter last year, maybe we are due for a big one.
edit on 9-9-2012 by Pressthebutton because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-9-2012 by Pressthebutton because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Sorry for any typos im on my phone.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Winter comes once a year. Every year. Sometimes its short and mild. Other times its long and brutal. I dont understand why people want to predict the weather. Weather is a force of nature, it just happens. I laugh at people who watch the weather on the news. How about you pop your head out the front freaking door.

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by JayFlores

Yes, but weather tends to follow PATTERNS, which is what he is saying here. No one is trying to predict anything. He was simply stating that a man who knows his surroundings noticed a major shift in the weather this year.

Relax, for gods sake. You people are so easily stirred up. Go take a bath.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Not sure but there has been some strange weather patterns here in Missouri. We normally get our storms from the west heading east but as of late the storms have been coming out of the east heading west. The wind pattern maps are showing the same thing.

I will say that we do need the cold weather after the extreme temps we have had this summer.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaeus

Patterns are used for predictions,no?
Thats what I thought. I just think its dumb to worry about something we have no control over short of dressing appropriately.
Just one more thing humans are trying to predict because they feel insignificant and small.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

wow amazing you can forecast the future by looking out your door ... hey look out you door will it rain here tomorrow
I don't feel like going to work ... keep me posted

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Here's the Accuweather long range forecast for the 2012 - 2013 winter:

Accuweather Long Term Forecast

Not really seeing a "when" on winter however.

But I have come over the years to listen to the "old timers" when they start talking about the seasons. Sometimes they're a bit off, but many times they've been spot on.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
OP: I find your post very interesting, as just the other day I made this exact same "prediction" to my GF.

In my case it was closer to a prediction "proper," although observation of patterns had to do with mine as well. I had noticed that last year it seemed my region got a little colder, a little earlier than it normally would have. Same then with both spring and summer. As if the seasons are off by a few weeks. This is exactly how I said it to her. She argued it seemed like slightly more than a few weeks.

My gut agrees with your seaman.

Hm...that sounded wrong.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by freedomSlave

You're missing my point. And nobody can predict the weather. They just speculate. The point it, if I want to know what the weather is, I pop my head out the front door and check. I dont worry about tomorrows weather because tomorrow isnt here yet. All we have is today and we should enjoy it

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Patterns are used for predictions,no?
Thats what I thought. I just think its dumb to worry about something we have no control over short of dressing appropriately.
Just one more thing humans are trying to predict because they feel insignificant and small.

Farmers have relied on monitoring the weather by watching nature for years for the production of food. As have fishermen for predicting the movement of the fish they are fishing for!

Explain how you feel that trying to make a living makes someone insignificant and small!

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Here in Maryland, we have been having off pattern weather as in unpredictable winters, summers and falls. Last winter was very mild for Maryland. even though the winter before it was pretty intense.

The past few summers have been very hot but only a small bit hotter than usual. Some summers are very wet but some we will have drought conditions. Some summers we even get golf ball sized hail storms.

With the way things have been going here, its hard to forecast what the next season might be like. Are we going to get 6 feet of snow in 2 weeks this winter, or are we going to get 4 feet the whole winter?

It's not an easy task to predict our weather here, so to say anything strange is happening is not easy ether.

We will just have to wait and see.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I get what you're saying but some people rely on forecasting the weather because their livelihood depends on it , they have to plan their lives around it for various reasons....

I wish people on here would stop scorning and ridiculing people for coming forth with curiosities , aha moments,concern and excitement.....

treat others how you want to be treated

link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful
Here's the Accuweather long range forecast for the 2012 - 2013 winter:

Accuweather Long Term Forecast

Not really seeing a "when" on winter however.

But I have come over the years to listen to the "old timers" when they start talking about the seasons. Sometimes they're a bit off, but many times they've been spot on.

I like the looks of that... I hope its gets below average n snows... The heat overstayed its welcome

link   

Originally posted by JayFlores

You're missing my point. And nobody can predict the weather. They just speculate. The point it, if I want to know what the weather is, I pop my head out the front door and check. I dont worry about tomorrows weather because tomorrow isnt here yet. All we have is today and we should enjoy it

I think they can predict the weather fine ,, maybe a little sloppy on the rain forecast.. the radar is a great tool for what rain coming in ... I am gonna go out on a limb here and say you don't work outside very much

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Another person who interprets things how they see fit to meet their need. How original of you. Go back, read the post and UNDERSTAND it this time.
I said MAN. As in the human race. Not A MAN in particular.

link   
reply to post by Pressthebutton

Where I live we really never had a summer. For the first time in 20 years, I lit the fire in the summer, not once or twice but nearly every day all summer.
My beautiful flower garden bloomed in the gloom, but it was to cold and the birds never seemed to successfully bring any little ones because we didn't see any like we usually do, also the animals Coons, and possum mostly) have turned every rock in the yard over and over again...never happened all these years, they seem to be very hungry.

link   

Originally posted by JayFlores
I dont understand why people want to predict the weather.

Well the art of agriculture would have been nearly impossible to master without at least a basic insight into how climate patterns operate and how best to anticipate them.

Farmer almanacs are still popular today even.

link   

You would be correct. No need to work. And I stay in when the weather is crappy.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Where I live we really never had a summer. For the first time in 20 years, I lit the fire in the summer, not once or twice but nearly every day all summer.

This summer was cold for me too. I am in NW PA.

I have never wore a jacket in the summer, until this year.
I have worn my jacket at least 2 out of 3 days for the last month.

Especially at night it has been getting really cold.

Of course my tolerance for cold is not very strong, so even a mild chill will cause me to feel like I am freezing.
But yeah, it has been exceptionally cold this year and the coldest summer in my 31yrs of existence.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join