posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Arbitrageur
...I was a little surprised by what I saw. They completed the moon walk, went back in the LM and for some reason didn't eject their backpacks at that
point, but instead they pressurized the spacecraft. Then they performed some tasks, and then depressurised the craft and tossed out their backpacks,
and had to repressurize again.
I'm not sure why they didn't just toss out the backpacks before they repressurized the first time...
They needed to re-pressurize for a short time to disconnect their spacesuits from the bapckpacks (called PLSS) and connect the suits to the LEM's
internal life support. When they opened the hatch to toss out the PLSS packs, their suits were connected to the LEM life support.
I think this is how the procedure works:
- Re-enter depressurized LEM after the moon walk.
- Close the hatch and re-pressurize LEM.
- At this point, it is safe to disconnect from the PLSS backpack, and then hook their suits up to the LEM's internal life support.
- Depressurize the LEM
- Open the hatch and toss out the PLSS packs.
- Close the hatch, re-pressurize, and disconnect their spacesuits form the LEM life support.
edit on 9/11/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)