It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Organic food hit piece to coincide with California proposition 37.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by UdonNiedtuno

But the fact is that miticides are treated differently than pesticides by our government and they are the ones that stipulate their acceptable use. Some miticides are similar to antibiotics which worsens the problem we have with mutating germs. Once the germs mutate to the miticides they may also not be killed by the antibotics we use. These articles concerning this can be found in Europes health organizations.

The Bt gene is throughout the vegetable where the effect of the Bt used as an incecticide is on the outside. If someone has an allergy to it, organic foods can be quickly blanched to solve the problem then cooled and eaten raw. This cannot be done when the Bt gene is present throughout the food. Most people can just wash organic foods and it removes enough of the bt so it does not cause harm. Knowing how to fix the problem is the best solution. I boil my veggies instead of steaming and discard the water. Boiling also helps to neutralize oxalates in food, which can cause some problems in the body.

Like I said, I prefer organic foods and I buy most of my veggies from the local coop. The local health department went to the coop and tested quite a few people there for cholesterol, sugar, BP, and other signs. When the results came back they everyones bad cholesterol to be low and their good cholesterol to he above normal. Their blood sugar was remarkable and their BP was better than those in the health department, almost perfect. Their tests blew away most people in the local area, the worker giving the test was surprised. Needless to say, a lot more people from the health department here are buying food at the coop.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

There is a vast difference between non organic grown vegetables and GMO.

Lets see the study between non GMO food and Heirloom food.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by VforVendettea

I prefer heirloom veggies myself and buy seeds for those. The seeds can also be saved and replanted which I like. The grapefruit is not real, a long time ago it was mutated using irradiation from a small fruit somewhere. It was hailed as the panacea of food till people started eating too much and got sick. I hate when people blow things out of proportion like that to make money. I like grapefruit, it has a lot of good properties but it should not be overeaten. The medical industry is telling people to watch it because it interferes with proper absorbtion of medicines. People around here are thinking it's no good for you now
stupid commercials. Oranges have been engineered long ago to contain Balsam of Peru when they considered Balsam of Peru to be another panacea.. I wonder how they did that? Balsam of Peru is a natural benzaldahyde, it probably made the oranges last longer.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

Like I said, I prefer organic foods and I buy most of my veggies from the local coop. The local health department went to the coop and tested quite a few people there for cholesterol, sugar, BP, and other signs. When the results came back they everyones bad cholesterol to be low and their good cholesterol to he above normal. Their blood sugar was remarkable and their BP was better than those in the health department, almost perfect. Their tests blew away most people in the local area, the worker giving the test was surprised. Needless to say, a lot more people from the health department here are buying food at the coop.

Do you know if the results of this study are available anywhere, even a synopsis? My wife works in public health and would be very interested in hearing about this!

Also, it sounds like we agree on most all accounts. It seems that mostly semantics has gotten the best of me here, that and interpreting meaning from a forum post can be quite dependent upon the reader.

Anyways, back on topic...as I said before....LABEL GMO's! And don't believe the propaganda, cheers!

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by UdonNiedtuno

Those results won't be found anywhere. The people there aren't dumb, if they were to start putting this in writing, it might jeopardize their job. There could also be other factors that aren't considered, but going to shop at the coop and talking to the people while you buy something results in knowledge that will eventually give you good health. The timing of eating foods is critical.

I have been studying the tomato, potato, banana, latex cross reactivity now. Seems that you can become allergic to latex if you eat the wrong foods. I found that I cough I get when I eat a banana. Have all my life. I was brought to the doctors many times when I was young for that cough and wasn't aware of the cause. I was even tested for TB back then. I eat a lot of potatoes but mostly in fall and winter so I was not aware that the banana's in the summer weren't affecting me, but in the winter it was worse because of the potatoes. I have tested this last year and found I mostly am only allergic to the banana when I ate potatoes within a couple days of each other. I had been avoiding bananas for a couple of years now and don't have histamine reactions and shortness of breath. So I found out last winter that I can eat bananas if I don't eat potatoes. The tomatoes also react with the banana and also with the potato though, and I am sometimes allergic to my underwear yet. I have to try avoiding tomatoes in the same day as potatoes to see if it helps. It's a bitch getting a latex allergy when you try to start eating healthier. I understand this now. I like the internet for studying things.

I wonder how many people think they have asthma because of this allergy? How many people use inhalers when they eat bananas. You can't plant tomatoes and potatoes near each other because they don't do well that way. that's old knowledge. I think they both exhibit class 2 chitinase properties. Banana and latex rubber have class 1 chitinase properties. I wonder if the war between vegetables is somehow a sign that we shouldn't eat them together, some vegies need to be separated to grow right. There are also relationships between the properties of banana/latex/and milk. seems like a banana and milk share some latex properties. I can only study research articles so can't test anything myself. Could it be that tomatoes or potatoes and milk can also cross react? Potatoes are usually cooked and heat liable but tomatoes are often not cooked. Cooking tomatoes a long time would also reduce their chemistry. Bananas are heat liable so making banana bread or cake should neutralize the effects also. I have been watching this research for a year and a half now and there is a lot of new research being done.

Sorry for the scattered tendency of this article.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Anyone who thinks eating foods with pesticides and chemicals vs ones without them, are exactly the same, are complete lunatics and don't understand what they are talking about.

Chemicals are not meant to be consumed by humans, anyone that attempts to say otherwise is just clueless and i'd suggest not listening to a damn thing they say

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by CoolStoryMan

Too much too fast. We can slowly adapt to a lot but the changes in chemistry since I was a kid are so great that it's distorted people's perception. The evidence is starting to show up everywhere. They tell us to eat more antioxidants in response to GM foods. The antioxidants act as antihistamines to keep us from reacting to their crappy ideas. They also many times suppress our immune systems so we get sicker. Timing of eating antioxidants is critical. You don't want to eat them when you get the sniffles, if you eat them regularly they build our immune system. Get the immune system to strong and it can overreact to bacteria also causing huge problems.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
My mom, grandma and aunt have gardens, but we still rely on grocery stores for most of our stuff, especially with the drought in summer. Luckily, our local grocery sells locally grown produce, despite being a Wal-Mart and Pick N Save in our town. Plus it's much closer to where we live so not all box grocery stores are all bad.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
People should NEVER believe CORPORATE main stream media propaganda! THEY lie to you. Just assume everything they say (MSM) is a lie and go from there. So here we have the "study" that they cited to belittle the benefits of organic food was in fact done by a scientist who used to work for big tobacco. The study was funded by Cargill, ADM and the eugenics psychos Bill and Melinda Gates who also have big stock in MONSANTO.

"CARGILL AND OTHERS BEHIND ANTI-ORGANIC STANFORD STUDY"

www.activistpost.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Yes we should be supporting our local small farmers and other small businesses
Yet some say they use Walmart and the like because it cheaper
But really they are paying a bigger price.

Walmart accounts for 1/4 of all grocery sales in the U.S., so they have a tremendous impact on legislation, recently they tried to have "country or origin" removed from labels, they were unsuccessful this time.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I saw that article on a news app I have on my phone while on my break at the organic market I work at, It was painful that there wasn't a comment section on the article because of the obvious bias involved in the reporting.

They make it seem like the big benefit and reason people choose organic foods is because it has more vitamins, nutrients..etc.., that is such an absurd argument. They declare that the nutrients are the same, gloss over the pesticide residue issue and declare non-organic and organic equivalent for your health.

I eat organic because I don't want to ingest pesticides when I eat produce, or support GMO corporations, I think a lot of people who eat organic feel the same.

After reading this article it actually has a little less bias than the one posted by ABC, on the other one they stress more that organic is irrelevant because the nutrient content is the same as conventional etc..
edit on 9/10/2012 by Drezden because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I've trying to "eat low on the food chain" for many years and I'm not surprised by the corporate efforts to push this through. My understanding is that in Europe they haven't been nearly as successful with engineered foods as they have been here.

Anytime I hear the "there's nothing to see hear, move on" crowd my antena goes all the way up!

If you live here in Cali vote no for this deal. Hell, even if you don't live here vote no for it. They don't check who's voting here anyway, so what difference does it make.
edit on 10-9-2012 by sharkman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I was under the impression that organic and heirloom seeds are the same?

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Here is a link that addresses it, it's a little to complicated to start explaining.
www.ehow.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

I did notice that headline days ago, and good on you mate for telling us all about it!

Good work! Kudos to you, and others who keep this in the headlines.

Lest we should forget, GMO are genetically engineered to do all sorts
of things, the least which is to provide Monsanto and its minions with
a license to own all food that is grown.

Monsantos founder John Francis Queeny, Knight of Malta
Founder of Monsanto, 1920s

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/35281375b377.jpg[/atsimg]

Ahhh down into the rabbit hole.

Bayer
www.eu-facts.org...

Monsanto
farmwars.info...
edit on 10-9-2012 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   

We all have to ask ourselves why is it that human health is being degraded to vast epidemics of cancer ,diabetes, Alzheimer's, etc. it's because of industrial applications to what's in our food and air. It's flagrantly obvious. Did our ancestors deal with nutty epidemics like these? On a mass level even?

There's just way too much profit to be made from bad food. It's easier to produce on a mass scale in some cases, it keeps these industries going, and then there's good ole disaster capitalism. Degrade the health of the masses and offer them a solution, that not only doesn't work, but kills them anyway.

edit on 10-9-2012 by royalewithcheese because: Typos

edit on 10-9-2012 by royalewithcheese because: Typo

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Yet more proof of Agribusiness' influence and presence in every branch of government, including the press. Sigh. When will people realise that they are consuming poison on a daily basis? That by eating GMO food they are taking money out of poor farmers' pockets? That Monsanto's business model is to starve both the first and the third world... after all, if your product is something people need to live, you can choose the level of supply (one-generation seeds for example), and thus inflate the level of demand exponentially, and turn a massive profit from famine and suffering.

But why does Agribusiness have such a hold on the human race? Why have we allowed it - and what makes them so heartless? I know the answer. Calvinism - the belief that the poor are unholy and that the rich are pre-destined for salvation. It has shaped America and the rest of the world since the 1600s.

There's actually a book about Calvinism's influence on Agri-Corporatism. Coincidentally it's free right now until this Thursday. I really recommend people read it. Link,
edit on 11-9-2012 by waltergill because: Typo

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
This whole biz dosn't surprise me as we all know that "they" will fight tooth and nail to push their GMO crap crops...
We shall prevail one day though...

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
I'm always astonished!!

A tasty strawberry covered in pesticides, insecticides, herbicides, and probably iradiated.
A tasty strawberry with none of those things.

Which one would you prefer your child to be eating?

I say if you choose the first one you should be investigated, you might not be looking after your child properly

That's just conventional strawberries you're talking about. GMO is man messing with nature; changing the genetics to make that strawberry ripen faster, turn a brighter shade of red, and maybe as a bonus - inoculate the eater with the bird flue vaccine.
Very strange things are afoot at Roundup for instance where their weed killer kills absolutely everything but the Monsanto (Roundup parent) crop or grass seeds. Certain corns are grown that produce their own insecticide. Crazy scary sci-fi stuff that we're eating that aren't additives,but built into the dna of the "produce". They even take it to the animal world messing with cows, pigs, sheep, chickens, insects, etc...
That fabled story of KFC's boneless-chicken chicken-farms is probably not such an absurdity now.

Organic is almost 100% nature's-goodness. Farmers are allowed a certain amount of synthetic substances.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ColCurious

Hah.. Danke Schön.. Freundliche Gruesse von Die Nienderlände für Dich..

I cannot cóunt the times we hopped over the border by Emmen, to browse the little "trust stalls" of the German farms. They're stíll there in Plum-time, apple-time, etc.

(For those readers that scratch their heads at "trust stalls" : they are little stalls with greeneries, fruits&vegetables, flowers, pumkins, cherries (oh my..the chèrries hmmm..) and whatnot, where the owner just put up a Glass-jar, where one can donate whatever one wants to pay for the fruit&veggies. (I've seen them in rural places in Vermont and Wa. too..)

At the end of the day the jars are álways filled with money. A great idea, that's really old ,and stíll works...to the utter chagrin of chain-stores. Overhere the chains éven tried to shut them down "unsafe, uncontrolled produce, bla, bla bla.." They failed spectácularly, and the SC hit them with a contempt-case..auwtch..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join