It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the Non-Theoretical, pre-SHTF, Low-Budget, North American, Home Defense Thread.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
there was another thread on here recently about home defense that turned into a discussion about bungee cord window-coverings. i think this is a great opportunity for experienced people to share their techniques for simple home defense. I am off-grid in the middle of nowhere and i have a dog, a laptop webcam that detects motion, a few guns and a lot of stress. if anyone has any tried and true techniques id love to hear about them.
here's the rules:
pre-SHTF means nothing lethal or injurious to others (yeah, there goes the fun, huh?:@@

don't attack other posters- this is about defending our homes, not our fragile ideas

try and keep it low-budget......sure i could hire 17 soldiers of fortune but that's not going to happen any time soon.

thanks and try to keep it civil!

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Wouldnt it be easy to cut through?if someones comming in im sure there comming half prepared.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
A little simple effective weapon. Cactus!! I have installed window flower boxes on all lower floor windows around our home. And planted cactus, really nasty barbs, really nasty hurt. Un-sure of the type of cactus I planted but it's pretty wicked stuff. It's also on the ground in front of the windows.

Simple yet effective deterent. I have been the victim of attempted home invasion. I want go through that again. Lethal force will be used if you make it into our home, and the signs posted on my property state this for whoever is willing to try. Also light your property up like Yankee stadium , motion detectors above the reach of criminals, mine are all remote away from the lights themselves. Hope this helps others. I have more, I'll share later.

It's really a mute point of keeping one out if it's Non-Injurious or non-lethal deterent. I mean they aint trying to get in to sit around and sing camp fire songs. I could not agree with Asktheanimals more. Lead them down the primrose path of YOUR choosing. Then make sure it's anything but easy for the perp.

I have allways lived by the adage " A lock simply keeps an honest man honest" If they want in bad enough... they will find a way. They may get some serious cactus barbs on the way in.....I assure you they want have them to worry about upon their exit. Horizonal.
edit on 9-9-2012 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-9-2012 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
plant holly .. roses or other thorny bushes under the windows ... bars on windows ...
deadbolts .. bars for doors..
always have an escape as eventually they will get past the defenses
edit on 9/9/12 by Expat888 because: correcting mistranslation ..

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Since you can't keep them out of everywhere my philosophy is let them in the way they will think it's safest then make very sure it isn't.

Nonlethal or injurious does take all the fun out!
edit on 9-9-2012 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I go to Cuba quite often , I don't stay at the resorts I usually hang out with the locals . In all the neighborhoods the people put broken glass into cement on their window sills and the tops of their fences ! Cheap and effective , they also have a lot of dogs !! It seams to stop the petty theft , I'm not sure about an all out assault though ?

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Home alone,a house under siege..a goldmine of goodies

edit on 9-9-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Maybe plant a perimeter of this plants to slow any unwanted guest down.

Pyracanthas are valuable ornamental plants, grown in gardens for their decorative flowers and fruit, often very densely borne. Their dense thorny structure makes them particularly valued in situations where an impenetrable barrier is required. The aesthetic characteristics of pyracanthas plants, in conjunction with their home security qualities, makes them a considerable alternative to artificial fences and walls. They are also a good shrub for a wildlife garden, providing dense cover for roosting and nesting birds, summer flowers for bees and an abundance of berries as a food source. Pyracantha berries are not poisonous as commonly thought; although they are very bitter, they are edible when cooked and are sometimes made into jelly.[2] In the UK and Ireland Pyracantha and the related genus Cotoneaster are valuable sources of nectar when often the bees have little other forage during the June Gap.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Well i find some thin 3-5lb mono fishing line and a few catfish bells to be very helpful during the night.
Along with your other measures already stated.
Were talking under 10$

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by rick004
I go to Cuba quite often , I don't stay at the resorts I usually hang out with the locals . In all the neighborhoods the people put broken glass into cement on their window sills and the tops of their fences ! Cheap and effective , they also have a lot of dogs !! It seams to stop the petty theft , I'm not sure about an all out assault though ?

This right here. tall cement wall (6ft- 8 ft) with a thick layer of broken glass(1in.-2in.) cemented into the top, dogs that bark behind that. Thats exactly what i've seen in thailand and that combo is super effective. Maybe its third world countries the world round?

To my understanding most criminals would go next door to the easier house if they were up against something like this. They don't want it to be hard, they want easy. at 8ft tall the glass wouldn't be too noticeable until you were trying to climb it, and when you notice that, with dogs barking at you, pausing to consider your options seems stupid with all the noise drawing attention to you.
edit on 10-9-2012 by Nephlim because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Bougainvillea is a great plant to have too if you are in a climate that will support it. It is beautiful, and has sharp, needle like, one inch thorns that will rip you to shreds. It is great planted in front of windows, or if you cannot afford the eight foot wall, as a border or boundary plant. It will weave itself into a chain-link fence making it impossible to climb.

Broken glass on ledges on the side of home or building is used as well. Many Caribbean buildings will have a ledge that you can 'walk' around on the second story. Want to deter anyone from jumping from the next building to yours to gain entrance via the ledge? Then leave a nice broken glass 'carpet' there. Even the most determined will think twice, at it is sharp, creates a slippery surface to walk on and noisy as well

If you are in a home that has bars on doors and/or windows, be sure to use multiple locks on door bars. IE the Hasp with pad lock can be pried so be sure to have a chain and lock on there too, or at very least have some one weld a panel where lock is located to avoid easy access to lock and slide bar .

Use a 2" X 2" in tracks of any sliding door ALWAYS

Solar powered LED flood lights to light outside and solar powered motion detector flood lights

A rubber strip or lathing strip with 1/2" nails pushed through it every inch pointy end up in top soil under windows

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
20ft deep trench around your property. You can dig this yourself, but it will take a lot of time and look terrible.

It only costs time and perhaps the longevity of your back.

For added flavor you can spice up your trench with snakes, water or lava.

edit on 12-9-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
a lock on the door is probably your best realistic way for simple home defense. window locks and keep the inside of your windwos decorated with crap that will make noise if knocked over.
Just keep it simple, if you make your house LOOK like fort knox, guess what house looks like it is worth busting into?

like most threads in this forum it is not too much longer before it turns into Rambo describing how he would kill any intruder within seconds if the network of Rambo booby traps did not work.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
personal safety is just as important as home defense, an escape route and a designated meeting location are just as important than defending your home. of course the location of your home is a major factor. if i was located in a big city id do my best to fortify my home the best i can. a box of spikes pounded in the window sills and in front of entry doors, with the heads cut of with some side cutters would make for a cheap effective and hard to remove line of defense. just remember where they are when you gotta leave. i liked the bungee net idea, but plywood over chainlink fence with a crap load of screws and spikes to hold em on would be even better. if they stick around long enough to get in they win the grand prize...buckshot.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Explanation: S&F!: cheers:

1stly Lets all be fire hazard safety conscious ok.

Fire Extinguisher [wiki]

A fire extinguisher, flame extinguisher, or simply an extinguisher, is an active fire protection device used to extinguish or control small fires, often in emergency situations. It is not intended for use on an out-of-control fire, such as one which has reached the ceiling, endangers the user (i.e., no escape route, smoke, explosion hazard, etc.), or otherwise requires the expertise of a fire department. Typically, a fire extinguisher consists of a hand-held cylindrical pressure vessel containing an agent which can be discharged to extinguish a fire.

In the United States, fire extinguishers, in all buildings other than houses, are generally required to be serviced and inspected by a Fire Protection service company at least annually. Some jurisdictions require more frequent service for fire extinguishers. The servicer places a tag on the extinguisher to indicate the type of service performed (annual inspection, recharge, new fire extinguisher) and when.

Ok next is a Fire Blanket ...

Fire Blanket [wiki]

A fire blanket is a safety device designed to extinguish small incipient (starting) fires. It consists of a sheet of fire retardant material which is placed over a fire in order to smother it (see below).

Small fire blankets, such as for use in kitchens and around the home, are usually made of fibreglass and sometimes kevlar , and are folded in to a quick-release container for ease of storage.

Larger fire blankets, for use in laboratory and industrial situations, are often made of wool (sometimes treated with a flame retardant fluid). These blankets are usually mounted in vertical quick-release cabinets so that they can be easily pulled out and wrapped round a person whose clothes are on fire.

Some older fire blankets were made of woven asbestos fibre and are not NFPA rated. This can pose a hazard during the decommissioning of old equipment.

Halligan Bar + Axe [aka The Irons]

Halligan Bar [wiki]

The true Halligan is a forged tool, of one piece construction, available in a number of lengths (typically 18 to 54 inches (45.7 to 137 cm)), and of various materials, including titanium, Beryllium copper or stainless steel. Carrying straps or rings can be found. The 18-inch Halligan is often referred to as an officer's tool.

A Halligan bar and a flathead axe can be joined together (and partially interlocked, head-to-toe) to form what is known as a married set, set of irons or simply The Irons. This combination of tools is most common within the fire service. However the Halligan may also be married with a Halligan hook, sledge hammer or The Pig as an alternative.

First Aid Kit ...

First Aid Kit [wiki]

A first aid kit is a collection of supplies and equipment for use in giving first aid,[1] and can put together for the purpose (by an individual or organization, for instance), or purchased complete. There is a wide variation in the contents of first aid kits based on the knowledge and experience of those putting it together, the differing first aid requirements of the area where it may be used, and variations in legislation or regulation in a given area.

General Home Tool Kit ...

Put together a rock solid home tool kit [lifehacker.com]

Put Together a Rock Solid Home Tool Kit
A well-stocked toolbox is indispensable for DIY projects and home repairs. Use this guide to select versatile and dependable tools that will help you with a lifetime of projects.

Wind up torch + radio ...

Magic Torch Wind up Power 5 LED Plus Emergency Phone Siren AM-FM Radio [originecostore.com.au/]

The torch uses state of the art LED technology and an eco-friendly winding mechanism to create 25 minutes of high intensity light from every one minute of winding.

Continued next post ...

link   
Explanation: Continued from, previous post ...

Or if you prefer hands free ...

Now on to home defence from intruders ... [must address that 2nd amendment right ... right!
]

My choices would vary amongst the following according to the job its required to fill.

SuperShorty [serbu.com]

I dream about owning one of these!

Hint: Use these.

The SUPER-SHORTY is based on a Mossberg Maverick (also available on Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 at additional cost) 12-gauge shotgun which came from the factory with a pistol grip. Because of this, the SUPER-SHORTY is considered an AOW (Any Other Weapon) and can be transferred with a $5 stamp! The gun holds two 2-3/4" or 3" shells in the magazine, plus one in the chamber. The 16.5" overall length, 6.5" barrel and spring-locked foregrip, which pivots out of the way when not in use, make for a very compact package. As far as we know, this is the shortest 12-gauge pump shotgun available. All parts for the SUPER-SHORTY are made in-house on our own CNC machinery using materials ideally suited to the task. All welds are done by the TIG process, and the manganese phosphate finish is MIL-spec. The SUPER-SHORTY is currently being used by various law enforcement agencies and military units worldwide. If you like the idea of concealed carry with a 12-gauge, or like a lot of "bang" in a small package, or just want the most compact breaching weapon available, then this is the gun for you. You won't find a better made AOW pump shotgun than the SUPER-SHORTY!

Product: Super Shorty **
Price: $774.99
Shipping charge: $25.00

Note: Please check your federal and local state laws for any legal issues to do with ownership ok.

If shotguns are not to your style then I can only recommend the following ... [in decending order of my prefernce ok]

Revolvers
I'd have anything between a .22 and a .38 due to to my physique and their reliability!
Model 627 (long) [smith-wesson.com]

Model 627 $969.00 * *Suggested Retail, Dealer Sets Actual Pricing

SKU: 178014
.Model: 627
.Caliber: .357 Magnum®
.38 S&W Special +P
.Capacity: 8 Rounds
.Barrel Length: 4" / 10.2 cm
.Front Sight: Interchangeable
.Rear Sight: Adjustable
.Overall Length: 9.75" / 24.8 cm
.Weight: 41.2 oz / 1,168.0 g
.Frame Size: Large - Exposed Hammer
.Action: Single/Double Action
.Grip: Synthetic
.Material: Stainless Steel Frame
Stainless Steel Cylinder
.Finish: Matte Stainless
.Purpose: Recreational, Competitive, Home Protection

Model 627 (short/snubnosed) [smith-wesson.com]

Model 627 $1,049.00 * *Suggested Retail, Dealer Sets Actual Pricing

SKU: 170133
.Model: 627
.38 S&W Special +P
.Capacity: 8 Rounds
.Barrel Length: 2.625" / 6.7 cm
.Front Sight: Dovetail Red Ramp
.Rear Sight: Adjustable White Outline
.Overall Length: 7.625" / 19.4 cm
.Action: Single/Double Action
.Frame Size: Large - Exposed Hammer
.Weight: 37.6 oz / 1,065.9 g
.Grip: Wood
Stainless Steel Cylinder
.Finish: Matte
.Purpose: Personal Protection, Handgun Hunting

Now If an Exposed Hammer is any cause for concern then ...

Model 640 [smith-wesson.com]

Model 640 $809.00 * *Suggested Retail, Dealer Sets Actual Pricing

SKU: 178044
.Model: 640
.38 S&W Special +P
.Capacity: 5 Rounds
.Barrel Length: 2.125" / 5.4 cm
.Front Sight: Dovetail Tritium Night Sight
.Rear Sight: Dovetail Tritium Night Sight
.Overall Length: 6.625" / 16.8 cm
.Action: Double Action Only
.Frame Size: Small - Internal Hammer
.Weight: 23 oz / 652.1 g
Stainless Steel Barrel
.Finish: Satin Stainless
.Purpose: Personal Protection, Professional / Duty

Continued next post ...

link   
Explanation: Continued from previous post ...

And if cost is a concern then ...

Model 442 Moon Clip [smith-wesson.com]

Model 442 Moon Clip $469.00 * *Suggested Retail, Dealer Sets Actual Pricing

SKU: 178041
.Model: 442
.Caliber: .38 S&W Special +P
.Capacity: 5 Rounds
.Barrel Length: 1.875" / 4.7 cm
.Front Sight: Integral
.Rear Sight: Fixed
.Overall Length: 6.3125" / 16.0 cm
.Action: Double Action Only
.Frame Size: Small - Internal Hammer
.Weight: 15 oz / 425.3 g
.Frame Material: Aluminum Alloy Frame
Stainless Steel Cylinder
.Finish: Matte Black
.Purpose: Recreational, Personal Protection, Professional / Duty

Now if you prefer to use a semi automatic handgun instead of a revolver ...

Model M&P9 [smith-wesson.com]

Model M&P9 $669.00 * *Suggested Retail, Dealer Sets Actual Pricing

SKU: 178010
.Model: M&P9
.Caliber: 9mm
.Capacity: 17+1 Rounds
.Barrel Length: 5" / 12.7 cm
.Action: Striker Fire
(Double Action Only)
.Front Sight: Novak® Fiber Optic Green
.Rear Sight: Novak® Reduced Glare
.Trigger Pull: 4 - 5 1/2 lb.
.Weight: 26 oz / 737.1 g
.Frame Size: Large
.Overall Length: 8.5" / 21.2 cm
.Grip: (3) Interchangeable Palmswell Grip Sizes
Polymer
.Material: Polymer Frame/Stainless Steel Barrel and Slide
.Finish: Black Melonite®, 68 HRc
.Purpose: Competitive, Recreational, Home Protection

Note: 9mm are well know for over penetrating and thats just not cool in a home defence situation so OL recommends either using hollow points for the 9mm or get this gun instead ...

Model M&P40 [smith-wesson.com]

Model M&P40 $669.00 * *Suggested Retail, Dealer Sets Actual Pricing

SKU: 178032
.Model: M&P40
.Caliber: .40 S&W
.Capacity: 15+1 Rounds
.Action: Striker Fire
(Double Action Only)
.Barrel Length: 5" / 12.7 cm
.Front Sight: Novak® Fiber Optic Green
.Rear Sight: Novak® Designed Reduced Glare
.Trigger Pull: 4 - 5 1/2 lb.
.Frame Size: Large
.Overall Length: 8.5" / 21.2 cm
.Weight: 26 oz / 737.1 g
.Grip: 3 Interchangeable Palmswell Grip Sizes
Polymer
.Material: Polymer Frame
Stainless Steel Slide
.Finish: Black Melonite®, 68 HRc
.Purpose: Competitive, Recreational, Home Protection

Or if you prefer another brand name then ...

Walther PPK AKA Bonds Weapon of Choice!
Note that it comes in various calibres!

Need even more firepower?

Uzi's! The smaller ones like the micro and the pistol!
Classic firepower on tap! And once again they come in a range of calibres!

Personal Disclosure: These other threads helped to contribute to the above postings advice ...

New home defense shotgun shell's (by DaddyBare
posted on 1-10-2011 @ 08:56 AM ) [ATS]

Taurus Judge. May Be The Best Survival Gun Yet. (by semperfortis posted on 5-5-2011 @ 05:48 AM) [ATS]

Finally, on the issue of handguns, I quote myself quoting some article in an old ATS thread titled What is the ultimate Concealed carry Gun? (Thread posted by lakewoodrealtor posted on 11-8-2006 @ 02:43 PM , reply post by OmegaLogos posted on 6-8-2009 @ 03:08 PM) [ATS]

As I was researching for info for this post I came across this webpage titled Surviving in Argentina: Reply: Weapon of Choice. [I was searching for secret service weapons of choice!] and some of what was said was quite interesting, but the bit I loved the most and I quote it here was "Subcompacts are intended as backup. If I were you I'd carry a standard or compact as a main carry gun, nothing smaller, plus a subcompact in the same caliber.
I know its more comfortable, but it's not a pair of panties, it's a gun for life and death situations. You want all the capacity, power (short barrel reduces fps) and accuracy you can get. ".

Please Wait! There is still more to come next post.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Explanation: Continued from previous post ...

Whilst on the issue of safety ... why not invest in a home [or gun] safe?

Home Safes (assorted types) [justsafes.com.au]

Plus don't forget to snib and chain those doors, pet hatch and windows ...

Snib [wiki]

A snib is a manually operated catch for the internal locking of Yale type locks. Once operated it prevents key holders from using the lock externally, or allows the door to be closed without the lock engaging. Colloquial (UK) also the button inside car doors for locking the car.

The term may also be used (as a noun) to indicate the bolt or latch on a door or window, or (as a verb) to refer to the act of bolting or locking something.

A cautionary reminder to LOCK your mailbox ok.

Locking Mailbox Door keeps mail safe and secure. [news.thomasnet.com]

October 29, 2003 - Molded from Fiberglas reinforced polypropylene, Lock'n Mailbox Doorâ„¢ fits any No. 1 size metal rural curbside mailbox. Fully assembled prehung door and frame unit mounts inside existing mailbox and has pick proof vending machine style lock with 2 keys and concealed steel hinge pin. Slot for mail allows letter carrier to insert mail when door is locked, while restrictive chute prevents theft. Unit meets/exceeds postal codes regarding locks and doors on mailboxes.

Personal Disclosure: I have much more ... but OL needs to wait and see how things pan out over the short term.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by openyourmind1262

pompous grass around perimeter is good two plant them close togther and in a few years you have 6 foot wall of grass as sharp as razorblades trust me it is not something you want to climb through.

top topics

join