It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the Hippie Movement was a serious societal setback......and here's why

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I'm fully aware of this particular conspiracy theory.

I just don't happen to believe it or agree.

Are you aware and if so do you believe police officers in Texas infiltrated and then adgitated the occupy movement?

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirjunlegun
reply to post by Annee

I'm fully aware of this particular conspiracy theory.

I just don't happen to believe it or agree.

Are you aware and if so do you believe police officers in Texas infiltrated and then adgitated the occupy movement?

I do not support the Occupy movement.

Nothing evolves without a leader. It just becomes anarchy.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
The term ''hippie'' as some sort of group identity is sort of a misnomer.

Hippies came about as teenagers and twenty somethings got influenced by Beatniks, essentially Beatnik light, without all the real philosophising or intellectual high brow musings. More they caught on to the 'love', 'groovy', 'peace' vibe but most were just ordinary people that were getting high and spouting stuff they knew little of. When they got bored of getting high or realised they needed to work and sort themselves out, they sort of forgot most of the pseudo idealism they spouted whilst high. People caught on to the whole vibe in such a vague and general way that it didn't really carry much depth.

Those that might call themselves hippies now are mostly just ordinary people that have ideals involving peace and love, though hopefully more realistically than the 'getting high' version it originated from.

For 'hippies', read pseudo idealism.

Real intellectual idealists are interested in philosophy and the development of humanity and it's interaction within the near and far environments.

edit on 9-9-2012 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by IandEye
reply to [url= by avwood[/url]

But I do have advanced degrees in buddhism and have met twice with the dalai lama of tibet.

advanced degrees, eh? Like a diploma? What was the test like? Multiple choice? Essay?
If you were so "advanced" you wouldn't be so full of negativity...
And you have NOT met the dalai lama

Clearly you are delusional.
You hate hippies but have a trippy hippie avatar. What's up with that??

PS: I am not disagreeing with you that the Hippie Movement was, in the end, a set back. But your attitude is NASTY!

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
How is it this thread has gotten this far without anyone mentioning the fact that a great deal of revisionist historical writing has been produced around the very subject that the OP is trying to express?

Member Isyeye created a thread that gets a lot of this new information out right here...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

For all of you doubters: I am afraid what the OP is trying to express to you all has a fair amount of truth in it...

the entire LA music scene of the 60's was crafted by military brats working for the government. ever wondered why it sucked so bad compared to Macon, Detroit, Chicago, Cincinnati, New Orleans and so on? the Byrds couldnt even play their instruments according to their producers and real musicians were hired to play on the albums.

Much of this is true, including the part about the military brats.

I suppose you all need to be reminded that while Jim Morrison was 'breaking on through' in Los Angeles, his dad, George Stephen Morrison was creating subterfuge in the Gulf of Tonkin.

You all need to go read this...

Inside The LC: The Strange but Mostly True Story of Laurel Canyon and the Birth of the Hippie Generation
www.davesweb.cnchost.com...

Scroll down, you'll see it.

X.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Xoanon

True, a lot of it was subsidised and, like today, the youth culture was manufactured for the purpose of control.

They glamorised drug culture as a method of subduing, people can't / don't riot much under stupefication.

Today it's keeping people in their own bubble of ipods / ipads / smartphones / internet devices / net games etc.

Governments do that, perhaps someday they will intellectualise the youth of nations, properly....oh wait wouldn't that mean people would vote against wars and banks and pyramid structures.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Yes it is all true
The CIA bought me my first set of bongo drums to play in the dirt and placed a pretty flower in my hair
Peace and Love

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by theabsolutetruth
reply to post by Xoanon

True, a lot of it was subsidised and, like today, the youth culture was manufactured for the purpose of control.

They glamorised drug culture as a method of subduing, people can't / don't riot much under stupefication.

Today it's keeping people in their own bubble of ipods / ipads / smartphones / internet devices / net games etc.

Governments do that, perhaps someday they will intellectualise the youth of nations, properly....oh wait wouldn't that mean people would vote against wars and banks and pyramid structures.

Yes I got a government grant to proclaim that Universal Love is a Natural Law

Then they sent me to Hollywood - I should have rioted

What's an ipod???

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Anarchy had leaders

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

John Lennon- Mr. Peace- used to beat women....did you know that?

Yes, but I don't see how you are using it in your argument....to quote John himself:

It is a diary form of writing. All that "I used to be cruel to my woman, I beat her and kept her apart from the things that she loved" was me.

I used to be cruel to my woman, and physically -- any woman. I was a hitter. I couldn't express myself and I hit. I fought men and I hit women. That is why I am always on about peace, you see.

It is the most violent people who go for love and peace. Everything's the opposite. But I sincerely believe in love and peace.

I am not violent man who has learned not to be violent and regrets his violence. I will have to be a lot older before I can face in public how I treated women as a youngster.

He was young, hot headed, realised his mistakes and tried to make up for it. We all make mistakes when we are young.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

Was that sarcasm? Or are you identifying yourself as a ''hippie''.

I sort of cringe at the word ''hippie'', I grew up in the 70's when people had long hair, wore flares, they all looked similar, but they weren't actually into 'love' or 'peace' they were just the usual control freaks in flares.

Then in the 80's / 90's I always got called a 'hippie' because of being vegetarian and having long hair and ethics, as well as wearing clothes from the Indian shops, burning incence, listening to Hendrix, and Zep instead of rave. etc. But knowing the origins of the word, and that it was really a heap of hype in the first place, always rendered the term vaguely offensive. I philosophise, I intellectualise, I do not attach my feelings or philospohies to some awkward term.

In the 90's I knew of some people that called themselves 'hippies', wore dreads, lived in unscrupulous communes etc, but basically they were mostly lazy, were financially supported by their parents, and playing at being 'radical'. They all stopped it eventually, and conformed.

When I hear teenagers and 20 somethings call themselves 'hippies', especially when it accompanies a smugger than thou attitude, it gets this sort of reaction

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

this won't be a cohesive post like phage or destinyone might do, so I apologize for that. instead it is going to be a rambling of different thoughts randomly written for anyone to read....

where to begin....where to begin....

Hippies are Jews with a Kibbutz, Gnostic without Knowledge. the off-springs of middle-class white people muddling about society looking for unconditional love.....

Hippies are Christians without God. think about it- you'll see them drumming to the full moon, dosing on acid, hiking through the woods barefoot......these are all sensual activities. they worship what they can see, taste, smell, feel, and hear (they know everything about music festivals, right?) how is that any different from a Luciferian?

it's not their fault, really. its the fault of Christian ideals in government. Im not attacking Christians so please don't take offense and read what i'm writing. here it is: if God is Love then anything else is evil, evil to the point of being kill-able, if not ostracized or misunderstood. But what is Love? to a hippie it is sensual pleasure....its not the giving of unconditional love but rather the entitled demand of receiving it. so anything that interferes with their pleasure-seeking or loving of their senses is deemed "bad" or "republican" or whatever they lash out with.

you may not know this but the hippie movement was instigated by the US government (or Tavistock, im not sure since i wasn't born yet). The grateful dead (jerry GuitAR-CIA) had unlimited amounts of free acid to give out at their concerts at a time when only the CIA had access to it (yes, later it was made by private individuals, but we're talking millions of hits of FREE acid....) Cocaine too- Jimi Hendrix remarked how many of his shows weren't fun because his audience was completely out-of-control coked up. I read somehwere that there were real, porgressive groups happening in the early 60s that had the potential to create real change, but they were infiltrated by drug-peddling sex-addicts who had catch phrases about "love" and "happiness". as we know- the changes that would have led America to equality and peace never really happened.

you ever met someone who defines themselves by what they aren't? hippies were anti-VietNam war, anti-establishment, anti-Parents.....John Lennon- Mr. Peace- used to beat women....did you know that?

the entire LA music scene of the 60's was crafted by military brats working for the government. ever wondered why it sucked so bad compared to Macon, Detroit, Chicago, Cincinnati, New Orleans and so on? the Byrds couldnt even play their instruments according to their producers and real musicians were hired to play on the albums. how many millions of trillions of dollars were made by the music industry (organized crime) off these penniless hippies over the last 40 years? the shame is that some of that stuff was actually ok. stilll.....white people playing the blues is why we have rap music now- its punishment for trying to steal black soul.

Why am i so vehemently opposed to Hippies? because, like the ANTI-CHRIST, they come in the name of love but their version of what love is differs from everyone else's and even changes over time to suit their needs. they are Luciferian in spirit- they worship what makes them feel good and consider themselves to holy for it. please......

Interesting post. You point out a couple interesting things, but I think you may be looking at some other stuff wrong.

1- Hippie movement started by the CIA? I'd like more info on Garcia being an operative, other than the cute play-on-words with his name. I'm not doubting you... I really would be fascinated to see proof.

2- While I disagree that the whole hippy movement was a front, it is well known that the CIA was dosing US citizens (sometimes even without their knowledge) in the 60's, so it would not surprise me if they had some agenda within the hippy movement. In fact, I've suspected it for years.

3- Yes, I knew that John Lennon at one point hit a woman. Funny thing is, John would admit this himself, if he were still around today. Lennon was not proud of the stupid kid he used to be in his younger years. Nor am I. Many of us are not. But some of us are still great people today. We all make mistakes. Lennon was man enough to admit his. He even mentions it (this, specifically) in song.

TBTP wanted Lennon dead. The FBI had files on him, they were trying to get him out of the country. The establishment was SCARED of him, because he had the power to rally a crowd. Look into the 10-for-2 concert, if you're not familiar. After seeing the first inklings of what Lennon was capable of, they were scared. You might even have evidence early Lennon / Beatles were tools of the establishment. I wouldn't scoff too hard. But if he was, at any point ever, I have difficulty not thinking he was a changed ma

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
As a child of the sixties...and a then high schooler and musician...as well as a hippie....almost everything you spoke of was untrue and an uneducated statement..because YOU ADMITTED you werent there...

I'll say one thing we lived and still live by..."Brothers and sisters? It time for a change. A time for YOU to decide if you are gonna be the PROBLEM...or are you gonna be the SOLUTION?"

Ive spent my life in the changed world of government, personal freedoms, equal rights, racial equality, phenomenal music, art and literature. And we all went "green" to try and make a dent in polution.

I dont believe for one second that you have any Buddist knowledge whatso ever. Go back and study some more..because for now? You're part of the problem in this world...and we need solutions...just as we did then.

We changed the world for your parents and that trickled down to you...only you arent educated enough to realize thta you are part of the problem...and in no way are you contributing to the solution...because you dont get it...
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by theabsolutetruth
reply to post by artistpoet

Was that sarcasm? Or are you identifying yourself as a ''hippie''.

I sort of cringe at the word ''hippie'', I grew up in the 70's when people had long hair, wore flares, they all looked similar, but they weren't actually into 'love' or 'peace' they were just the usual control freaks in flares.

Then in the 80's / 90's I always got called a 'hippie' because of being vegetarian and having long hair and ethics, as well as wearing clothes from the Indian shops, burning incence, listening to Hendrix, and Zep instead of rave. etc. But knowing the origins of the word, and that it was really a heap of hype in the first place, always rendered the term vaguely offensive. I philosophise, I intellectualise, I do not attach my feelings or philospohies to some awkward term.

In the 90's I knew of some people that called themselves 'hippies', wore dreads, lived in unscrupulous communes etc, but basically they were mostly lazy, were financially supported by their parents, and playing at being 'radical'. They all stopped it eventually, and conformed.

When I hear teenagers and 20 somethings call themselves 'hippies', especially when it accompanies a smugger than thou attitude, it gets this sort of reaction

Yes it was a cartoon version of some of the claims made against so called Hippies
Am I a Hippy - No I am an artist and poet
Some once said Jesus was an Hippy - I think a Hippy said that.

John Lennon once said "It's all the people with long hair that really scare me"
He also wrote "Imagine" but how many really listened - I don.t have the statistics on that

Labels are always superficial - sometimes they belie the person inside

edit on 9-9-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-9-2012 by artistpoet because: typos typos everywhere

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
amusing... so many misconceptions and hate of hippies but considering the op was only a gleam in his daddies eye during the time to be expected...
the best people I met in the states were hippies ... was a wild .. strange time back in the 60's ... that defies description or catagorizing ... today people lack the spirit that people had then .. not to mention lack the willingness to stand up for their convictions the way the hippies did ..
hope make sense.. english not my native language and early in day here ... need coffee...
edit on 9/9/12 by Expat888 because: correcting mistranslation ..

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Hippies were liberals. Everyone hates liberals because liberals are painfully aware of the alternatives. No body likes liberals because liberals support service to others instead of service to self. All the parties are arguing over different ways to serve themselves, and liberals are arguing that we must serve others.

Which is against the regime that we've labored so hard to build. Service-to-self is the easiest way to manipulate the masses, and service-to-others makes it easier to see what's helpful and what isn't. The math isn't hard, people. Stop beating on the liberals just because you're ashamed of what they see.

edit on 9-9-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
Hippies were liberals. Everyone hates liberals because liberals are painfully aware of the alternatives.

Hippies and Liberals are those who "color outside the lines" - - - the "catch all bucket" for everything Righties don't agree with.

It cracks me up when Righties claim Liberals are followers - - that they all think alike

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

It does make sense and whilst I was born in the very early 70's, I recall halcyon days in the sun, life was simpler, more free, there was an atmosphere, a feeling of infinite possibilites so can at least relate to this aspect, and no doubt some good came from people acting together for constructive purpose against unscrupulous aspects.

But then the 80's happened, then the 90's etc, these eras were boom and bust eras of exciting technology and money and flashiness, from then on it has mostly become a tech obsessed society, not to mention the rest of societies ails.

There might be good ethical people that call themselves ''hippies'' but since the 60's youth culture has misused the term for an excuse of dropping out or a way of dressing rather than anything of ethical value.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

hippies are posers. they are not selfless yet claim to be.

This is the kind of dismissive, ignorant blanket-statement that makes it seem like you have an agenda.

don't you folks understand that the Hope and Change of the Obama admin is a throwback to hippiedom? smoke and mirrors while someone's ripping you off

Twice as bad for this one. The "Obama Admin" has nothing in common with the hippy movement. You're creating a false association. Why?

one last bit of fuel for the fire.....then im going back outside to watch ladybugs eat whiteflies in my garden....

Hippies are people who grew up watching too much Disney and now they think the world is really like that.

Ah, now we start to get some clarity. Your agenda is pro-war, anti-peace, and so you want to make a bunch of peacenicks look corrupt, deluded, and foolish. Am I warm?

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Hippies ate babys

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join