It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the Hippie Movement was a serious societal setback......and here's why

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by IandEye
reply to [url= by papazen[/url]

the only ones using the word 'hate' are the posters attacking me. I never said I hated hippes.....thats like being mad at a retarded person for not knowing calculus.

Really, because your hate-speech seems to say otherwise.....

Why am i so vehemently opposed to Hippies? because, like the ANTI-CHRIST, they come in the name of love but their version of what love is differs from everyone else's and even changes over time to suit their needs.

So hippies are like the anti-christ?

Implied hatred is still hatred!

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

the only ones using the word 'hate' are the posters attacking me. I never said I hated hippes.....thats like being mad at a retarded person for not knowing calculus.

Maybe you didn't use the word HATE, but you just used the word retarded........Now that word is a certain no no, especially in this day and age.......

Sometimes I just stare at the monitor in total disbelief.........

Sad..............

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
If was 18 again (I'm late 30s now) and knew what I know about the system now, I'd live totally off grid sort of like a hippy. The system that people enter into at 18 (even age 5 when they enter school) is a total and complete fraud. All it's designed to do is enslave you, get you into debt, get you into jail, or dependent on the system in some way. Biggest scam ever created. Basically you go along with it and then next thing you know you're enslaved by it. Either working enless hours in the rat race, and or forced into debt in some way, or worse. All the while you don't know any better so you actually think "that's just the way life is". I honestly with there was more serious education and books out on how people can live off grid and live like hippies and how to go about doing it. At least you'd have freedom in life.
edit on 9-9-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-9-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Many today would think of the hippies as creative people who were involved in various forms of social experimentation (some of which cannot be discussed here).

However, the original hippies were not heavily politically engaged, and much of what is blamed on the hippies came from Marxists and academics.

The spiritual quest of the hippies would later be channeled into various cults, and although the hippies are best thought of as popularizing Eastern ideas, they also popularized "evangelical" Christianity (or brought it out of its US geographical "swamp", as some might call it).
Most of the techniques for mind control were found in such cults, and there are allegations of CIA infiltration or even experimentation in many cults from the 1970s.
Arguably many such techniques have now become mainstream religious practices.

The influence of Christian musicians like Larry Norman, the Jesus People and the "Jesus freaks" is rarely examined today as a clear result of the hippies.

Ironically, I think there would be no mass "fundamentalist Christian" or evangelical movement today without the hippies.
The hippie-Jesus iconography of beards and long hair may be absent for now, but that was part of the original Jesus revolution in the late 1960s.

The traditional churches didn't always take kindly to youth fashion, rock music or charismatic worship, but as with the creation of cyberspace, in this case the hippies won, and a form of Christianity that was once very disputed became the popular "conservative" standard.

Larry Norman and the Jesus Movement - "I think I love you" and "One Way" with historical images.
Christianity goes "Woodstock" (in the sense of mass gatherings to rock music, with ideals of changing the world and hippie-like "pie-in-the-sky" politics) before going mainstream with a slowly changing look:

edit on 9-9-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
Wow.

Feel the hate.

I didn't realise that there actually were people in the world like Eric Cartman.

Bravo IandEye.

lool
maybe OP is a throwback to the 50's that got timewarped

and the ignorance claiming that upon growing up the hippies have taken over
what nonsense the only"hippies" currently in government positions
are the children of the establishment who back then were only slumming

being a hippie was a lot more than long hair, pot and acid

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by bwcawaterbear
Dude, I am a hippie. Live in the country, grow all my own food, hunt all my own food, catch all my own food. My 'footprint' is like a 6.5, and I have been very involved in helping my country at times. I don't drink or take drugs and am very social with my community, who are also alot of hippies of every stripe. We don;t whine we just get it done and help each other. Who are you to judge any movement? WHat have you ever done? Just askin.....We put a major push on the Vietnam war to be stopped, we demonstrated. Really, what have you done to make any kind of difference or create a change? Do you realize how many of our own age kids were getting killed in Vietnam by the draft, and how many committed suicide later? The numbers are damn near equal. This was not a volunteer army. And for what? What was the goal with Vietnam? Why all the killing of our own? Anyone with half a brain could see it was all bull. YOu need a better perspective of history and alittle more respect for your elders.

look....dude....you don't have to lash out at me. i served my country for 4 years- i grow my own food organically- i don't smoke or drink- i dont have a job, unemployment, or welfare....ive worked at habitat for humanity building houses for poor christians for a year, ive fought the sheriff's department on many legal issues here in arizona plus lots of other direct involvement with making the world freer for all....please don't act like an idiot when some of what you say makes sense.

hippies are posers. they are not selfless yet claim to be.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
don't you folks understand that the Hope and Change of the Obama admin is a throwback to hippiedom? smoke and mirrors while someone's ripping you off

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by IandEye

Dude...there is so much I could say but it can all be distilled into a few simple words: I guess ya just had to be there.

Anything else is second hand and filtered a multitude of lenses and agendas...yours included. Happy Trails.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by davethebear

Maybe you didn't use the word HATE, but you just used the word retarded........Now that word is a certain no no, especially in this day and age.......

Sometimes I just stare at the monitor in total disbelief.........

Sad..............

[/quote

ok well i didn't know that. i finally learned something from all these posts......please tell me though when did it become politically incorrect? what is the proper term for someone who has mental disabilities. (i know what an emotionally disabled person is called but you'll think I'm just picking on hippies)

i will edit my post to "kindergartners" to not offend anyone

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin

Why am i so vehemently opposed to Hippies? because, like the ANTI-CHRIST, they come in the name of love but their version of what love is differs from everyone else's and even changes over time to suit their needs.

So hippies are like the anti-christ?

im pretty sure that's what I wrote, yeah...... the appearance of peace but in fact just running away from their own demons.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
reply to post by IandEye

Dude...there is so much I could say but it can all be distilled into a few simple words: I guess ya just had to be there.

Anything else is second hand and filtered a multitude of lenses and agendas...yours included. Happy Trails.

but you are in Canada! (a very wise man you must be, truly) were you a US hippie who moved north because the movement didnt work or are you a native Canadian? Canadians have a natural good-naturedness that hippies aspired to emulate. I could say everyone in the US is a posing wannabe but today I'm just focused on hippies....

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
one last bit of fuel for the fire.....then im going back outside to watch ladybugs eat whiteflies in my garden....

Hippies are people who grew up watching too much Disney and now they think the world is really like that.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by IandEye

Love is still better than war mate and without hippies, the music wouldn't be like this:

There will NEVER be another like Jimi again.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Double post.
edit on 9-9-2012 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

but you are in Canada! (a very wise man you must be, truly) were you a US hippie who moved north because the movement didnt work or are you a native Canadian? Canadians have a natural good-naturedness that hippies aspired to emulate. I could say everyone in the US is a posing wannabe but today I'm just focused on hippies....
Sorry...born and bred in the Great Pink North. We had our Haight/Ashbury...it was called Yorkville. We had the American cultural influences, and you had some of ours...Neil Young and Joni Mitchell come immediately to mind. You miss my point. Unless you were there, you are working off of whoever's 'insights' most match your own bias. Next time you meet the Dalai Lama, you might want to have his chat with him.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I'm curious as to what movements or counter culture groups you think have had a positive influence on society. I seem to recall the hippy movement were also about human rights, race/gender equality and generally making the world a bit of a nicer place to live. Shame there's no current counter cultures who are half as effective as provoking social debate and change.

I see it in many ways as the youth challenging the order of the old, the old unfortunatly wizened up and now sell a poisened and materialistic version of youth culture rather than a natural version being in effect.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to [url= by Zcustosmorum[/url]

agreed....seems like most musicians just copied his clothing because they couldn't come close to his technique....
I'm not trying to argue with you but Jimi wasn't a hippie. He actually claimed to be an alien ( I swear- you can look it up).
jimi was a martyr to the hippie movement, and just a kid too. His girlfriend gave him too many pills, someone poured an entire bottle of wine down his throat while unconscious from the pills, then the EMTs strapped him to the gurney and he died choking on his own vomit.
that's a different kind of warfare

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by IandEye

At least they had a better sense of spiritualism then most of todays clowns.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopeforeveryone
I'm curious as to what movements or counter culture groups you think have had a positive influence on society. I seem to recall the hippy movement were also about human rights, race/gender equality and generally making the world a bit of a nicer place to live. Shame there's no current counter cultures who are half as effective as provoking social debate and change.

I see it in many ways as the youth challenging the order of the old, the old unfortunatly wizened up and now sell a poisened and materialistic version of youth culture rather than a natural version being in effect.

well put. It has become a marketable, hollow and vain lifestyle....
positive groups? I dunno....the Amish, black panthers, fidel & che's group, the Essenes (the ORIGINAL hippies), canadians, probably others too....
edit on 9-9-2012 by IandEye because: edited

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by linknumbernine
reply to [url= by IandEye[/url]

At least they had a better sense of spiritualism then most of todays clowns.

"spiritualism" is the individual's experience whereas "religion" is a group experience. Complete devotion to spiritualism is nothing more than holy narcissism, batman

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join