It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recommend a good film about aliens

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Hello dudes and dudettes. Can you guys recommend a movie about aliens? I'm really looking for movies that are more serious and not comedies. I may have already seen many of your suggestions but still put it down anyway.

Some alien films i've seen:
Signs
Close Encounters
E.T.
Invasion of the body snatchers

Thanks to all!

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Sunshine - ok its not directly about aliens but it sort of touches in that direction.

Also Event Horizon. Damn thats two now that aren't exactly about aliens but it is about space and they are both amazing films.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Paul - Great film if you want a casual watch, but there is also a metaphorical approach to the film if you keep your brain switched on, such as certain characters being used to portray certain larger groups approach to extra terrestrial contact.

Independence day - 'Splosions

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Masterpiece.

The Fourth Kind - Entertaining on its first watch.

The Day the Earth Stood Still (both the remake and B&W) - Good story
edit on 9-9-2012 by nostromo85 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I recently saw the original Day the Earth Stood Still. When you take into account that this was made only 6 years after we nuked our own species it is a very compelling movie.

Starman is another in this vein.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Plan 9 From Outer Space

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Contact is another favourite of mine, this time about aliens too.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
My favorites are Contact, Mission to Mars and of course ET.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
ALIEN! come on guys! that's a no brainier..

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by boot2theface

Ummm, Aliens. You know, Sigourney Weaver.

Predator
Predator Vs. Aliens
Cowboys vs aliens
The last starfighter

edit on 9/9/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

Yes, lol, I should have probably put Alien in the films I have seen... Although it's not really the kind of film i'm looking for. It is probably one of my most favorite sci fi films.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I'm not a big Tom Cruise fan but War of the worlds was a good movie..

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Fire in the Sky. The movie is based on Travis Walton's book, "The Walton Experience", and retells the events surrounding his alleged abduction and medical experimentation by aliens. While the book and movie do not sync completely, the scenes depicting Walton's encounter with his alien abductors are truly terrifying, and portray a chilling sense of disregard toward humanity and emotion that does not come off as hokey, campy, or contrived. Really, a must watch.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Not a movie but if you want something original and just damn good, check out Farscape.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

district 9
predators
alien abduction: the mcpherson family (blair witch style abduction)
super 8

in my opinion though some of the best alien experiences are on videogames.

Dead Space 1 & 2
Mass Effect 1, 2 & 3
these are all just off the top of my head
District 9 is amazing

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by josephamccoy

Dead Space is an amazing game. It really surprised me when it was released. Absolutely fantastic return of the survival horror genre.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
The Thing... Good old sci-fi horror!

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
They Live.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Dark City- Skip the first minute or so, some versions has a monolog that spoils some stuff. Though, I'm kind of spoiling the fact that there are aliens for you. Philosophical kind of neo-noir.

Attack the Block- Okay, it's kind of a comedy and mostly an action film, but this is a very good British movie about young gangs kids trying to survive an alien invasion. There's kids in it, but it's not a kids movie, trust me.

Fantastic Planet- Absolutely INCREDIBLE animated movie from the '70s. It's really thought provoking and completely surreal. It's about a planet ruled by giant, blue telepathic aliens and the humans they keep as pets. The world feels genuinely alien. It's kind of hard to find on DVD, so here's a video of the whole she-bang. This one's in the original french with sub-titles. if you don't like that, you can also find English dubs on youtube. Warning: There's some non-erotic, non-sexual nudity

The Man Who Fell to Earth- Strange, '70s arthouse movie. David Bowie is an alien who comes to earth in the hope that he can someday bring water back to his home planet. He gets caught up in human vices. It's pretty slow, but it has a kind of hypnotic rhythm to it. Warning: A good amount of nudity.

Solaris- I haven't watched this yet. I have it, but haven't gotten around to it. It is widely considered a classic though and I've read the book and it was amazing. I can warn you that it's very long and the alien(s) is/are kind of abstract. There's an original Russian version by Andrei Tarkovsky and a remake by Stephen Soderbergh.

Monsters- Okay, I'm not crazy about this movie, but it got pretty good critical reviews. Aliens fell to Earth and they're more like animals than monsters or people. They're big and dangerous, but not openly malevolent. It's set years after they arrive and people are just sort of dealing with them, trying to contain them in a quarantined zoned. Two people try to travel through the zone. It's interesting, but I thought it was pretty flawed.

Repo Man- Again, this is really just a comedy, but it's one of my favorite movies. It's hilarious, really weird, has great commentary on society, has a great '80s punk soundtrack and it co-stars my favorite actor Harry Dean Stanton. Oh, and the aliens are dead the whole time and never really seen, but they are there.

I'd like to second recommendations of The Thing by John Carpenter which is possibly the best sci-fi horror movie and The Fourth Kind. People seem to really hate The Fourth Kind. I think that's because they either got fooled by the movie saying it was based on fact (which it obviously isn't) then got angry at the movie instead of themselves or because it's very slow. If you watch it at night, with the lights off and give it time it has a few really effective scares. They Live (also by Carpenter) is an okay movie, but I don't like it as much as everyone else on this message board.

ETA: Oh, I'll throw in the animated movie Tekkonkinkreet, because it's kind of implied that some of the villains are aliens. Very strange movie about two orphan boys trying to protect their city and each other.
edit on 9/9/2012 by SaulGoodman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Yeah, as said all the time, "Close Encounters".

And pretty much everything above as well(especially Fire in the sky).

Oh and check out Communion based on the Whitley Strieber book with Christopher Walken.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

that and alan wake are a couple of the few games that actually scare me

and now having watched prometheus i will highly recommend that, just don't excpect an aliens fest, but you wont be dissapointed. some parts are just down right harrowing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join