It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can those that have never had a mental illness really understand mental illness?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I think I am trying to start a mass debate here. The question I want to ask people is can those who haven't ever suffered from a servere mental illness ever understand those that do suffer?

The reason why I ask is I often hear people say things about those that have been labelled mentally ill. For example I always hear there is no such thing as Apergers or ADHD and that they are just naughty children. I often hear people say about depressed people that they should just cheer up and nothing is wrong with them. Is this just ignorance or do they have a point? I am sure that some people are labelled with a mental ilness that doesn't exist but I don't think you can discount all people for the sake of the few misdiagnosed?

I myself have been labelled with a mental illness, manic depressive or Bipolar Disorder as it is now known. I also know that diagnosises are on the up especially in the USA. I however do not want to reveal my thoughts on the subject yet as to try to stay inpartial for the mass debate.

Does anybody have any thoughts to add?

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
People with a mental illness dont understand mental illness. Thats why theyre mental. Nobody understands it. We have theories, but no real understanding.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by JayFlores

To a degree you point holds creedence, but a person with a mental illness does have the advantage (or disadvantage) of understanding the symptoms and effects the illness has on their lives. So a re-jigging of the question, can those that have never suffered really understand what those that do suffer go through?

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I believe that unless you have ever had a mental illness, then you will never fully understand the impact that a mental illness can have on a persons life......

As an example, Depression is never fully understood unless you have had depression, as you stated earlier...

It doesn't matter how much you even try to describe the feelings of depression, people who have never suffered with it will never fully understand....

I was diagnosed with a medical condition called Acromegaly in 2007, this is a health condition that only really affects between 1 or 2 people in every million and is so debilitating in so many different ways....

en.wikipedia.org...

But the frustrating thing about Acromegaly is the fact there is a lack of understanding even from a medical professional viewpoint. They can understand the basics of it and how to try and manage it, but as for the mental health issues that go along with it they are never fully understood..

I fully appreciate people with mental health issues because at times the world can be a very sad and lonely place and nobody can assist you no matter what they say to you in times of support and comfort. These times you just have to get through yourself, you are not always sure when the time is going to happen, but occasionally there are days of sunlight before it goes dark again........

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I have also been labelled since 1999 and for the sake of it being in a text book, if what I have is actually a '' mental illness'' then I say no,,no-one can understand. Ive never believed I'm mental.The things I go through,,to alot of people is mental in their eyes just because they don't understand,or haven't been through the same,,and if the majority don't understand then it always will be them saying we are mental. Its kinda the same with ghosts,,you get people who believe because of seeing or hearing or whatever and get a skeptic,,then something paranormal happens with that skeptic which makes him/her a believer. It must be the same case,,someone calling us ''mentally ill'' mental but then some time in their life they get hit with it,and this is the only way someone ''normal'' will understand.

But yeh,,probably side tracked a bit,,definitely no-one can understand someone who has a label of any kind.

~Alienmindflare~

new topics

top topics

join