It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Brief Rant On Religion

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by yeahright

So is religion at fault in this case, or is it just a convenient scapegoat? That's an important question if we're using this as a learning experience.

There is no fault. If there is, it would be his mother for teaching him something that she doesn't really believe (or, not correcting those teachings as time went by). But even that...people do not expect a negative situation like this to arise from their church and its faith. Like I have said....hindsight is 20-20, and there is regret for the religious aspect of his upbringing.

But he is at home now. She returns home today (she lives where i do, he lives in San Antonio). And I just hope that the people I care most about learned their lessons from this event. Beyond that, if it makes someone else pause for a moment to think....so much the better.

And it isn't like I have ill feelings towards the JW church. In general I have a very favorable view of their nuances. As an example, I really appreciate their view about their church's not looking like grand cathedrals It is a humble view, spiritually, and I really appreciate that. But the blood transfusion thing is a real deal breaker.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
How is your friend? Is he better? Did he get the transfusion?

Despite not agreeing with JWs on many issues, they were instrumental in pointing out to me some Biblical facts I otherwise would have never known, then I moved on to do more research on my own.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wandering Scribe
The Jehovah's Witnesses are not the only group which does this. Evangelicals and Baptists do as well. The whole spectrum of traditional fundamental Christian sects tend to carry similar beliefs against blood transfusions, the use of medicine, letting "non-Christian" doctors treat illnesses, and other like-minded things.
I know there's backwoods groups that do stuff like that, but I grew up Church of Christ (offshoot from Baptists, or more accurately Reformation Movement), and I can't remember the last time I personally heard someone state anything religiously agianst: "blood transfusions, the use of medicine, letting "non-Christian" doctors treat illnesses, and other like-minded things." The only people I've ever heard it from is those who had a bad reaction to Christianity and wanted to tell me explicitly in detail why they dislike it.

Again, I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I'e been to a lot of congregations, and NEVER came across this.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Despite not agreeing with JWs on many issues, they were instrumental in pointing out to me some Biblical facts I otherwise would have never known, then I moved on to do more research on my own.

Yeah, he is doing better. He recieved a total of 6 pints over 2 days, and has since had some internal bleeders cauterized.

Like I said, in general I have a very positive opinion on the JW's. I really, really like the way they approach their faith with humility. A stark contrast to the grandiose Catholic church (that grandiosity is so off putting to me, while I see their faithful going hungry and suffering the world over).

I also am very favorable of their views on holidays and the worship of idols. While I was still a child (and of a Christian bent), i found the symbols used int he church to be offensive tot he concept of false idolotry. As well, the near worshiping of the Virgin Mary, especially in Hispanic Catholic practice, seems to be in violation of the biblical teachings.

And when i say "offensive", i am not saying it offended me.
Only that it violates the edicts of the bible.

On the whole, the faithful JW's seem to be among the happiest and most well adjusted people I have met. Ther is something to be said about a belief system that can do that for someone, even if you don't agree with it personally. That is how I feel about most religions....good for some, not for all, and mostly not for me.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by CynicalDrivel

The problem with your point of view is that you assume these are "backwoods" sects. Have you ever gone to the Westboro Baptist church and tried to tell them they're not "true" Christians? Or tried to tell an Evangelical who believes prayer will cure her sick daughter of cancer that she's not a "real" Christian? You meet the same response: you're not a real Christian, because you believe in medicine and sinful worldly things.

Exorcism, denial of medicine, snake-handling, and other horrible practices encouraged by the Bible kill numerous people every year. You can ignore it because your Church doesn't "believe" in it, but that doesn't mean it's not taught by and endorsed by the same Bible you read.

Don't get me wrong, there are decent Churches out there for sure. But a few good ones don't erase the existence of the bad ones.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Wandering Scribe

*drily* I call them backwoods as if they came out of the movie Deliverance. The church in that movie was actually a CoC.

But, hey the point's fair.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
The only god each of us will never need and know, is our own god within us. If you believe in God, it's like trusting your life to a stranger, personally I don't believe God exists and that religion as a whole is just a tool for control.

Treat your own inner god well and all the power you will ever need can easily be harnessed through your god.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Yeah, he is doing better. He recieved a total of 6 pints over 2 days, and has since had some internal bleeders cauterized.

WHEW! I'm happy to read that he's better and did get the transfusions.

6 pints is pretty serious blood loss.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by CynicalDrivel

It's been a long, long time since I've seen Deliverance. I only really remember banjos, and squealing like pigs. If those degenerates were from the Church of Christ, then more power to my statement, ha ha.

Nah. Churches aren't all bad. I still think lighthouses are more illuminating though.

~ Scribe

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Wandering Scribe

Nah. Churches aren't all bad. I still think lighthouses are more illuminating though.

I like this sentence so much, I might add it to my signature. Star for such a clever twist.

edit on 12-9-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Thank you! It's actually my own adaptation of an old Benjamin Franklin quote referencing the need for separation between Church and State. The original quote was: "Lighthouses are more helpful than churches."

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Sounds to me like a GI problem almost killed your friend, not a religion. I mean he was out the whole time so he had you to do his thinking for him and not some belief system. So is "indoctrination" the issue or is it that it was not YOUR indoctrination?
edit on 13-9-2012 by Dnepropetrovsk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dnepropetrovsk
Sounds to me like a GI problem almost killed your friend, not a religion. I mean he was out the whole time so he had you to do his thinking for him and not some belief system. So is "indoctrination" the issue or is it that it was not YOUR indoctrination?
edit on 13-9-2012 by Dnepropetrovsk because: (no reason given)

Im sorry...you didn't read a word I said (or didn't comprehend it....not sure which). Could you please re-read? I don't want to answer your question with the answers already here so obviously, and it seems that I may have to just regurgitate the whole story to get you into alignment with reality here.

Thanks.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

The less knowledge a person has the more likely they will herd among the masses bandwagon for easy answers. If every answer is in one book then you don't need to look anywhere else right?

Religion ruins lives, destroys cultures, rages bias. If everyone holding their doctrine in their hand please continue to facepalm yourself with it. Because that's all your going to get out of that book. A lot of THUD THUD THUD

Being spiritual in an accepting manor is appropriate. If you are not accepting of others. Then those others shall banish you and cremate you. We need to love everyone. If your religion does not agree with that. Then i do not agree with you. Gays, Blacks, AZIANS NATIVES - others i got lazy and missed. its late lol. Point is if you ant down then i can rag all i want and so should anyone else. Why, because you cut off from *us* who ever it is you don't agree with. So in all fairness. Doth no respect. lol. But to those who are aware that other people can offer information to empower them. Well thats aight. That should be the way everyone thinks. Only for those that deserve it of course. Mentioned above are the people who don't deserve it. Pretty simple system.

The bible has many meaningful lessons as all texts do, but it falls on deaf ears. You can't just jump into interpretation philosophy without any knowledge about philosophy. People stop asking questions in places they should be asking everywhere. Just narrow viewed. glued to a book they themselves don't even understand. But will defend to the end of earth that its about gods son Jesus our savior. Seeeshhh

Expand knowledge. Because you are taking everything at face value, would you take everything on fox at face value. Because as far as i know they are very very christian.

I love the fact people can believe in souls and stuff, im thrilled. But the whole hell campaign is a joke. I ant scared of hell. Iv seen aliens before so thats my god, pretty physical and real and watches me from the sky. Pretty cool. My god is a dark being of wisdom. How about yours?
edit on 18-2-2013 by CrypticSouthpaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by CrypticSouthpaw

So....spill the beans on seeing aliens.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

with all those flags there i think i should.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I saw what people call a skin walker. I live in BC and the legends of skin walkers here in this town i moved to when i was 12 called Transformers. I believe that the deceptions and autobots played a good part in the difficulty searching further than the wiki on transformer legends. Never the less i found some information here and there.

The species i saw as far as i know and am learning has many names. But the name of the species itself is unkown. Everything is thrown into cryptozoology when it really isn't at all when we are dealing with an extremely evolved technologically advanced race. I tried to get on the last show can call in to talk about it. Only when they tried to bring me on the show my skype wouldn't let me hear them. I found out later i had the volume on my skype down lol
but if skype fails next week im just gunna get the US number or something and call in because people talk about the black dogs and the black panthers all the time. But no one really has any evidence or... just keeps repeating the same thing every other whitness account said. Mine is different. As the being answered my call and gave me everything i wanted. I did not have a camera in mind and i think that is exactly why it showed me everything it did. It was quite horrorfying but mystifying at the same time.

Everything im telling you is true. Im not trying to be special. Not trying to gather envy from others. This species is unknown and i want to know about them just as much as anyone else.
But the folklore about it nabbing kids is accurate. I could see some christians thinking they are some beast in that time. And shooting at it. Oh my god. Not a good idea. I connected with it when it was using telepathy on me. And i felt that it really kinda didn't care what people thought. There was an underlying feeling like a grudge on ignorance. It was like it hated people who are stupid. So i can imagine some derp shooting it. It probably has no problem turning into a giant wolf and ripping your throat out.
These are not cuddly beings. But they are not stupid either. If you seek them they may find you and test you.
Many people fail, i may have failed myself i do not know. But people misunderstand fear and the dread feeling it gives you. This is the ignorance it kinda scoffs off. They have no problem creating some #ed up memories and experiences for the unawakened, it rattled their brain and makes them think and they know this. Some just can't handle it. Some people freak out over a UFO. I do to a degree because its exciting but its not the same as those people. When i see one i think oh hey their up there watching down on us. What the person thinks is OMG WE ARNT ALONE WHAT THE HELL WHY IS THAT HERE uuuhhggg

But i learned a lot about the universe since then. I learned that telepathy is emotional based. I learned much about time and how it works since i experienced clock stop. I saw teleportation and 3 different shape shifted forms. A black dog. a black panther. and a faceless pale humanoid that crawls. But i know it can walk on 2 legs if it wanted to. They don't seem to hurt people as long as you arnt stupid. Like skinwalker ranch like i was mentioning before their detest for ignorance. That many brainwashed ignorant people right beside one of their home bases? nope. Their gunna scare people away. Because their telepathy is emotional based meaning they can just paralyze you with fear. But i reconize it as an outside source. and still feel my own emotion. So im somewhat immune. But my experience is all in that thread. I also have some other interesting threads. Check out my thread on humans are bio weapons. Im trying to teach the people what they are, what the universe is. And what we can do to move forward.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join