It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Brief Rant On Religion

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by 11235813213455

"It offends common sense to believe prayer will fix any physical condition beyond a psychosomatic reaction."

And you would dismiss the thousands of cases where prayer has healed a person? You can't say that every divine healing is psychosomatic. I personally have been healed of an incurable disease (many years ago now) and you will have trouble convincing me that it didn't happen. You really should get out of your basement and have a look at things you call offensive.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Caji316

Sorry mate, you obviously don't know anything about the matter. The Bible IS a history book, the Bible IS to be taken literally in almost every case, other than when it is obviously poetic language - God having wings, and so on. It is very dangerous when one starts to interpret the Bible. You no longer have the word of God, rather your own word! This has been the cause of more trouble in the world than any other single factor.

Religion has been, for the most part a very bad thing. It is man's way of reaching out to God, and the Bible never told us to do that. God reached out to us. We need to follow His lead.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Religion is inherently evil and is nothing but mind control. Anyone who wants to reject modern technology and their own life over an invisible being is just as bad as a suicide bomber.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Anything in the Bible on how we deal with blood almost always comes down to the warning that the blood is the life of creature in question . When someone's lost too much of their life's blood, then they should need more. Kind of straightforward.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Thoughts and Prayers to your friend, and I hope he pulls out. I have personally been battling with my own beliefs, but i have never understood why they are not to accept blood transfusions. If God exists, I don't believe he would want people to willingly refuse help in such a crisis. I hope your friend pulls through.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Sometimes the faith of friends can do what faith in god cannot.

The best thing you can do for your friend is to be there for him.

I agree with you, if life is meant to be cherished then you'd do whatever you could to make sure it's preserved.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
we don't know what caused the big bang, or what existed before.
we don't know if there is anything smaller than the sub-atomic.
we don't know if there is anything bigger than the universe.
we can't find over 70% of the universe.
we don't know what black holes are.
we don't know how life was created, or if it exists off of earth.
we don't know how matter gained conciousness.
we don't know what conciousness is.
we don't know how the brain works.
we don't know what happens after death.
and yet even with this massive lack of fundamental information we believe our scientific laws and knowledge to be unquestionably true.
anyone who does dare to question is called crazy.
Truth is that none of us are in a position to say if god is real or not

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Child Indoctrination is a powerful thing... i even "think" about "god" when i'm in dire danger..

God is nothing but a variable to ease the mind. Illusion but makes you calm.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Ask the hospital about hemoglobin replacemernt- I have read there is "artificial" hemoglobin in a couple articles that they SHOULD have been giving him! Not iv fluids. I know the diff.

Not to mention IV nutrition...

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

I agree,our own personal belief system is a product of our education, upbringing and influences, I personally try to stay open minded to all things. I don't believe in god but I'm happy to study any proofs in order to make my own mind u up. But because our knowledge is flawed, whether through ignorance or conspiracy, I accept that I will never know the whole truth
edit on 10-9-201 by sonicdoom because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-9-2012 by sonicdoom because: spelling mistake

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat

Ask the hospital about hemoglobin replacemernt- I have read there is "artificial" hemoglobin in a couple articles that they SHOULD have been giving him! Not iv fluids. I know the diff.

I too thought there were some new treatments JWs could use, I disassociated myself from the JWs when I was in my forties.
I have also refused a blood transfusion after surgery because of their indoctrination, but not because I thought it was a sin but because of they taught me the negative impact a blood transfusion could have, and I was afraid.

Tex, I hope your friend gets better I will keep him in my heart, and I hope he makes the right decision.
love ya
edit on 093030p://bMonday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Not a JW or a "follower" in any way but I know a few people who are/where associated with the JW's and (please correct me if I'm wrong) a common misconception is that they cannot receive any transfusions of OTHER PEOPLE'S blood.

For scheduled surgeries and procedures, a JW can donate their OWN blood which can then be used/transfused as needed for themselves and themselves only.
edit on 10-9-2012 by TXRabbit because: spwlling

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I agree with you about being careful what we teach our kids.

However, I fully support people's/Adults rights to kill themselves, Let themselves be killed, let themselves die, or Martyr themselves for their religion. IF you have beliefs that you are so stuck to that you are willing to let yourself die for them then more power to you.

I'm sure we all have them.
I, for instance, believe in my second ammendment right to own firearms.
This is MY belief/ idea that I am willing to die for.
I don't need anyone telling me how stupid I am or how rediculous it is to die for something like guns.

Other people are willing to die before they allow themselves to recieve blood.
More power to 'em.
Not going to affect me in the least.
So what do I care?
It isn't MY decision and it isn't any of MY buisness.

As I said,
it is only when kids get wrapped up in this crap that I get pissed.
Go let YOURSELF die because of YOUR beliefs.
DO NOT let your KID die because of YOUR beliefs.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat

LOL, yeah...load him up on True Blood.

They cauterized another ulcer in the pyloric sphincter region yesterday morning, and administered 2 more units of blood. Since then his RBC has stabilized. He has eaten some turkey, and if he doesn't bleed over night he goes home tomorrow.

This thread was not about getting prayers, etc. I do appreciate that, I honestly do. But what I wanted to do was, I hope, make at least 1 person who is religious think a little about their doctrines and if they really DO support them at the risk of the death of themselves or their child.

I know my friends mother certainly doesn't feel strong enough about it, and feels like she dodged a bullet when he was able to change his consent.

I certainly do not campaign for atheism, as I believe atheism flies in the face of my own logic (based on my own life's experiences). Only for temperence in how we exercise our faith.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I certainly hope the best for your friend. The whole thing sounds absolutely horrifying.

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
Out of habit, purely out of habit, he checked that box when he was being rushed through admissions, already running on about 6.2L of blood. Obviously, he was in no condition to make that decision at that time....nonetheless....

As I read through the thread, this seems to me to be less a religious conspiracy and more of a medical ineptitude issue. You would hope that an admittance team would make damn sure someone understood the ramifications of the boxes they're checking, especially since most people going through admittance are less than focused on the jackloads of paperwork you have to blow through. They ought to be able to recognize the condition someone is in, and if a patient is selecting options that are obviously contraindicated by the symptoms, someone ought to be talking to them about it.

What if it had nothing to do with his religion and he had just checked the wrong box?

Personally that scares me a helluva lot more than whatever he may have been told as a child about his religion.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

So is religion at fault in this case, or is it just a convenient scapegoat? That's an important question if we're using this as a learning experience.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Religion is the key to all of this! The occult, it's roots. True Religions beginnings and further on. What we see today, is all perverted. This is all simply perversions of truth, a lot nefarious. I mean, Jesus died on the Cross? So we celebrate the Cross? Wear them? You heard the one about the mother that get's beat with a hammer? Then the remaining family starts wearing hammers in remembrance?

Rest assured that priest rape kids, and Nazi's roam the vatican. You think these cat's do not pay taxes for a reason?

Everyone says the IRS is the baddest on the block, the dreaded Federal Reserve Banksters! Well, they have everyone paying taxes, all currency controlled globally in fact... but whom is outside of there bubble?

What I'm getting at? All you see and read regarding religion is nothing more then the world is flat! Occult forces created the churches you see today. The true really awesome books, unfiltered, edited, you name it! We know they never saw the light of day, I'm impartial to believe this is where all there advanced occult knowledge comes from? Arent you? Secret teachings, hidden in ancients sites, uncovered and sourced by the Vatican and the like. The rulers that be. Religion to sheep is nothing more then what color is your teams jersey? The literature escaped them and there ability to process it.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   

It offends common sense to believe prayer will fix any physical condition beyond a psychosomatic reaction.
reply to post by 11235813213455

JAMES 5:15 And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. 16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.

1 CORINTHIANS 1:18 For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
19 For it is written,“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart.”
20 Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?
21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe.
22 For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, 23 but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, 24 but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.
25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26 For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. 27 But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; 28 God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, 29 so that no human being might boast in the presence of God.
30 And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, 31 so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.”

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

When your religion tells you to refuse treatment which can save your life, your religion has to go.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, I've lost people to ridiculous religious beliefs as well. I hope that he pulls through, and can turn this nasty situation around for his betterment.

The problem here is less about ridiculous religious systems, and more about the mindset our country has against education. When people would rather teach obviously allegorical myths as reality, than learn the actual realities of existence, something is wrong not in the religion, but in the mindset of the entire nation.

The Jehovah's Witnesses are not the only group which does this. Evangelicals and Baptists do as well. The whole spectrum of traditional fundamental Christian sects tend to carry similar beliefs against blood transfusions, the use of medicine, letting "non-Christian" doctors treat illnesses, and other like-minded things.

Educating the fundamentalists will bring about the best change, not attacking their beliefs. Let them keep their beliefs, but give the state the right to supersede the belief to save a life. If the victim survives and get's excommunicated from their Church for having undergone some heathen process, what's the big problem? All that means is that your Church was going to let you die. It's a wake-up call, not an insult.

Church doesn't care if I live or die, as long as they don't break idiotic taboos... vs ...educated state saves my life because life is precious, regardless of idiotic commandments set down by wandering nomads 2000 years ago. That's not a hard choice to make in my mind.

~ Wandering Scribe

edit on 11/9/12 by Wandering Scribe because: spelling

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Perhaps the 'church' was waiting to collect on the inheritance.
Greed and God never mixed.
If every churchmember gave the 10% tithe their 'instructed' to pay, why wouldn't the church pay it back to it's members when in need?

If one were to 'confess' to a human, would not that human have power/influence over that individual?
Unfortunate truths rarely spoken.
I pray in private while looking Up, for it's 'personal'.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join