It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Darrell Krushelnicki, 'Hummer Hero,' Uses Vehicle To Shield Four Children From Oncoming Car

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Darrell Krushelnicki, 'Hummer Hero,' Uses Vehicle To Shield Four Children From Oncoming Car
(video at the link)

A Hummer-driving hero? Defying the stereotypes generally associated with the gas-guzzling, military-inspired vehicles, one Canadian man used his car to shield four young children in danger of being run over last week.

According to a press release obtained by the Edmonton Journal, Darrell Krushelnicki, 46, was pulling out of the Bonnie Doon Shopping Centre in Edmonton at about 4:25 p.m. on Friday when he noticed a silver Pontiac G5 speeding toward a nearby intersection, just as a group of children stepped out into the crosswalk.

Realizing the children were in imminent danger, Krushelnicki quickly drove his 2006 Hummer into the path of the oncoming vehicle

The oncoming driver was speeding and talking on a cell phone and was heading right for the group of children crossing in the crosswalk. This guy cut across traffic to plow into the distracted driver and possibly saved the lives of those kids.

This guy is a hero. Not just because he was willing to sacrifice his expensive car to save the kids, but because in this day and age, he was willing to take an aggressive action that most people would be afraid to do over liability concerns. Thankfully the Canadian police recognize his life-saving action. If this had been in America - who knows? He'd be sitting in jail and facing a law suit from the other driver.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
when will people learn not to text, check emails, tweet and facebook while driving.

its becoming a worse epidemic than drinking and driving.

imagine 4 kids run over left in a bloody bool of body parts and tissue because some jerk-off was texting some trivial nonsense like "where are you" or "im on my way".

i already know of one person, a grandfather who pushed his granddaughter out of the way and got hit, because some asshole was texting thru a school zone.

not only did that piece of filth take off, the grandfather died, the little girl is traumatized at losing her grandfather, probably blames herself because he saved her and was hospitalized for weeks.

all that there is left, is a bunch of flowers and a sign that says hero, near were collision occurred.

i think that douchebag should have his phone taken away, pay for all damages and volunteer at an accident trauma centre or in the morgue were he can see death for an entire year.

and why don't phones have a driving feature. they have an airplane mode, they should have a mandatory car mode.

all modern phones have gps, and if you're moving at 30 mph you aren't walking, you're not usain bolt, so it can easily block texting until the phone detects you're not moving at an unsafe speed.

better yet, use common sense. its morons like these that cause idiot politicians to regulate every aspect of life.
edit on 8-9-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Great post and good on him!

You bring up a good point too. I think there are still a lot of people in the world that want to "do the right thing" but that are afraid because of possible repercussions. I'm glad that man was able to act quickly without hesitation

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Well at least the polluting hummer drivers now have an argument for driving a hummer in the climate crisis we are in. Hummers save lives!

edit on 8-9-2012 by plank because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by plank

I drive a GMC Suburban, just to piss off greenie nut jobs just like you. there is no climate crisis.

Great thread op, SnF for you. I am so glad this guy was able to avert this potential disaster. That could have been anyones kid anywhere in north America, as we all have phones and all of us drive( well for the most part). I just hope that somone has the sense to do the same thing if this is ever my children.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

There is no climate crisis ? I give you a star just for the laugh. Thank you.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer If this had been in America - who knows? He'd be sitting in jail and facing a law suit from the other driver.

Few of us at work were talking about this... Some believed that would be the case, but I know America and they love a feel good story so, more likely to be landed in the Whitehouse for a thank you dinner and a beer.

Originally posted by randomname
i think that douchebag should have his phone taken away, pay for all damages and volunteer at an accident trauma centre or in the morgue were he can see death for an entire year.

NOW we're talking. lol. Sometime's being made example of isn't a bad thing..
Could almost be witnessed as a hero in the end.
edit on 8-9-2012 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
A 16 yo girl hit the school crossing guard this past May, near the end of the school year. She was texting and the guard was in the middle of the intersection with her stop sign in the process of crossing a group of kids. There are two schools with grades K4 through 5th, so these are all young children at this spot.

It could have been a lot worse than it was. Thankfully the guard was okay after a short hospital stay -- kids could have been killed. The girl fled the scene, so I don't know what charges she would've faced but once they caught her, things got a whole lot worse. At least she'll never text and drive again (I would hope!).

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
This man is truly a hero. He saved four lives from idiocy did an amazing thing in an increasingly dark world. It inspires me. If only we had more people like him.

@Plank
If you want to prove your point then go and prove your point. Do it with sources and good arguments. Don't do it by being an arrogant patronizing jerk.

top topics

join