It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Secret Language of The Incas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
As we know, the two most important languages spoken in that area were Quechua (Runa Simi) and Aymara.

The Ayamara language doesn't have a confirmed origin, usually linked to the great Tiwanaku culture, this language is still widely used in southern Peru, Bolivia and part of the north of Chile. I had the opportunity to met ayamara people years ago and even lernt a few words of this amazing language. Anyway, I couldn't find strong evidence to link ayamara to the Tiwanaku, besides the same geographic area.

The Quechua language was the language used by the incas, also still used in great part of South America, it may vary in pronunciation according to the region, exactly like it happens today with english or spanish languages today. In orther to go ahead with this thread, it was necessary that little explanation.

There was a third language, almost unknown and I believe not discussed (at least not properly), in ATS. I'm talking about the "PUQUINA" or "PUKINA". Today there are not ethnic groups speaking Pukina and this language had been virtually lost. In times of the colonies, spaniards conquistadors enforced the convertion to catholicism thru quechua and ayamara, Pukina was left aside and forgotten. Today all we have are about 300 terms rescued from old spanish texts, something else to thank to those barbarians, i must say.

Garcilaso de la Vega says
"That the Incas had another particular language spoken among them which did not understand the other Indians was lawful or learn them as divine language," adding that, according to information from correspondents, it was completely lost, because, as the republic perished particular the Incas, also perished their language "

Just to have an idea about how Pukina probably was like, let me quote some of the Geronimo de Ore works :

text D Pukina Ore
El Bautismo en Común 77 (P)
Quiñ toollimpi, raago aya ayay, ynque atago aya ayay?
R. Raago aya ayay, Atagonm.
P. Quiñ hatanuy Ygleſia huananac?
R. Fè Dioshua cu hanchano.
P. Fè Dioshua cuhansanoſc, quiñ hi yegue?
R. Viñay çumano.
DP1. Quiñ toollimpi, raago aya ayay, ynque atago aya ayay?
DP2. Raago aya ayay, Atagonm.
DP3. Quiñ hatanuy Ygleſia huananac?
DP4. Fè, Dioshua cu hanchano.
DP5. Fè Dioshua cuhansanoſc, quiñ hi yegue?
DP6. Viñay çumano.

Translation :

A Spanish text Ore
Baptism in Common 76 (S)
P. You bring to the Church, infants, or princesses?
R. Infants and princesses.
P. Calling on the Church of God?
R. Faith.
P. Faith that will give them?
R. Eternal life.
DS1. You bring to Iglefia, infants, or princesses?
DS2. Infants and princesses.
DS3. Calling on the Church of God?
DS4. Faith.
DS5. Faith that will give them?
DS6. Eternal life.

If you are familiar with Incas Culture, then you probably heard or read before about the "Secret Language" spoken by Incas nobles only, and forbidden for the rest of the people, that was the Pukina. It's possible that this language was also used by older cultures like Tiwanaku, but nothing supports the theory that one of those cultures created that language.

"In this realm there is much difference in natural languages, but in all the principal chiefs of the divisions and were required to know the general language called Quechua, to know and understand what they were told from the Inga, and so, going to his court, the interpreter would understand without, and between it and its lineage inga and "orejones" ("big ears") spoke another, and this is no chief or other people of his kingdom were licensed to aprendella or word of it "")

Cantos de Andrada ([1586] 1965: 307)

In this map, you can observe the developement of the primitive versions of the 3 languages commented here :

www.unileiden.net...
www.jstor.org...
www.icpna.edu.pe...
www.faculty.ucr.edu...
edit on 8-9-2012 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Fascinating stuff. Wouldn't it be hilarious if someone discovered it was just a pig latin derivation of the normal language?

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by powerdrone

Haha....yeah, but I think it might be even older than latin. Some people believe Tiwanaku culture was founded by atlanteans. Think about it.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Some of these words come from Spanish / Latin origin.

For example Fe means faith in Spanish as well.
Ygleſia is similar to the Spanish word "Iglesia" which means church.

Dioshua - Dios (God)...

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
Some of these words come from Spanish / Latin origin.

For example Fe means faith in Spanish as well.
Ygleſia is similar to the Spanish word "Iglesia" which means church.

Dioshua - Dios (God)...

That happens because many words doesn't exist in those languages, so they adopted the spanish words.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Fascinating.

Coming eventually will be a few more details of this. It is far more plausible that the ‘secret language’ was no form of Quechua at all, but an entirely different language spoken by the small ‘Inca’ tribe, before they moved to and conquered the Cuzco area, and learnt Quechua from tribes already living there. Their own ‘secret language’ that they kept amongst themselves could well have been none other than … an Aru language (according to Alfredo Torero), alias a form of ‘Aymara’ though importantly by no means exactly the same as the language now spoken from Lake Titicaca southwards into Bolivia. Other candidates have also been proposed, including Puquina and Callahuaya, though Torero’s arguments seem pretty convincing. For details on his views, a first summary is in Torero (2002: 135‑146).

What Was the ‘Secret Language of the Incas’?

S&F

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Thanks, maybe you will find interesting too this other thread I did :

The Healers of The Andes

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
It would be intresting to see what is left when they remove spanish words from the language mainly because those words do not belong to there originally as those are what spanish Inquisition taught to them along with christianity, you should consider those as a new words in the language.
Some similarities in above text are found.. raago ( infant ) in finnish raaka ( not ready, immature ) also used to describe young kids as "raakileet". Also some grammatic cases raaka goes as raa´at, raakoja (where k is close to g when pronounced )
"Fè, Dioshua cu hanchano" first two are definately coming from Inquisition but "hanchano" is more intresting. "Han-chano" we have similar in finnish "Hän sano(i) " which means someone said or promised something.
"Quiñ toollimpi, raago aya ayay, ynque atago aya ayay?" similarity is with the end -mpi which makes this sentence as comparative sentence.. Quiñ (which ?) (finnish Kuin ) +toolli-mpi (comparative) "better""prettier" etc also in finnish -mpi is used as comparisons in the end of the word.

The text is quite limited because of christianic message, you can´t really make a lot of conclusions on that.
I take a look what more if any other sources for the language can be found.

And i propably made any sense at all lol

edit on 24-2-2014 by dollukka because: typo

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Hi. Who is the author of the text "We have a very fair knowledge..."?

In regard to translation of the pukina paragraph from Rituale, I ignore the reason for translating "atago aya" as "princess" since it clearly says, literally, "female child(ren). Is it usual in catechistic practice in english language to call girls "princesses"?

Bye

top topics

join