It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Politics of Rape

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by cartenz

because, as you mentioned, chemical castration is a temporary fix for a foundational problem, my first choice is for physical castration and then what you suggest if it must be.

and, before i get bashed as a penis-hater, my theory applies to both male and female rapists.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy
Well to address what motivates rape, we must examine the manner of rape. For example, date rape often suggests sexual intent; if you want to knock someone unconscious, chances are that the rape isn't sadistically motivated. Violent rape, on the other hand, isn't so much about having sex as it is about demonstrating power over another being.

Also, women aren't the only ones who get raped; men, however, tend to not report cases of rape.

Knocking someone out is extremely violent and pre-meditated form of bullying and massive abuse, not sexual.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Knocking someone out is extremely violent and pre-meditated form of bullying and massive abuse, not sexual.
does your theory apply when the knock-out method is a drug, alcohol, persuasive coercion or the mere threat of substantial bodily harm (as with a knife or gun) ??

while i agree the whole scenario is pre-meditated, it is not force, violence or physical abuse that indicates pre-meditation. and, any act which is pre-meditated will be repeated until the desire is removed. (ask any addict)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
What exactly is there agenda anyway? Hasn't it been accomplised for the most part? They now have equal rights? What's left now. Nothing.

Perhaps there is less disparity where you live, western countries do have more gender equality that non-developed nations. Child brides occur in many countries, other nations have no age of consent, look at the treatment of women in Saudi Arabia, all examples of how women are treated as second class citizens. Claiming everything is fine and equal is a very anglo-centric disposition and inaccurate when placed as a WORLD view.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Yanno, I don't normally touch things like this. Here's why:

When I was sixteen I was accused of raping a girl at my high school. Why she targeted me I have no idea to this day. I hardly even knew the girl, we talked maybe twice ever. My name was dragged through the mud, the county sheriff's office was investigating and just waiting to arrest me. They (the deputies) doggedly followed and harassed me for the 3 weeks I was suspended from school.

Why was I suspended? Because the county informed the school that I "may be a rapist" and alternative education was at different campus all together. So I was pretty much screwed until the dropped the charges or I was convicted and could go to the other campus. As such it was suspended until further notice. However thank the Divine for Blood-typing and rape kits (DNA was around but it was the 90s and expensive as my family would have had to buy the test for me to prove my innocence.)

Three weeks of aggravation later the blood-typing test came back and lo and behold, B something. I'm O+. Charges dropped. The girl had to move due to humiliation. Mostly due to me, I won't lie. I was a kid and mad as hell that she accused me.

Anyhow, how does this relate to Feminism? Well just a few years ago I was tapped to speak at a lecture about the Iraq war down at UTSA. Before I was supposed to speak I was sitting in a back room with a bunch of students that were asking me all sorts of ludicrous question. When a woman walked in looked around began to say something. She got a few words, "Sarah I need...) She then scuttled out and slammed the door.

I didn't even realize who she was, but I asked the students, "What was that about?" They said they didn't know but two of the female students chimed in, one of them getting up to go after her, "Sarah", though this an assumption. It was their "Assistant Professor of Women's Studies," and "had a particular flare" for her "Feminist Theories." I didn't say anything, I just smiled and nodded.

Women have a lot of power in this area, even with the advent of science. Whether or not feminist have had an effect on this is up for grabs, but let's just say this article gave me a little tickle, despite disagreeing with some of it.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeatherNLace

What exactly is there agenda anyway? Hasn't it been accomplised for the most part? They now have equal rights? What's left now. Nothing.

Who is this "they" you are referring to? Women? Are you suggesting the notion that only women can be raped? Or are you suggesting that only women have an agenda, which has given them equal rights and left them with nothing left to accomplish?

Either way; what an ignorant, asinine thing to even suggest.
edit on 8-9-2012 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

I'm talking about women. question is...What are you talking about??? Don't you know equal rights? 100 yrs ago, women weren't allowed to get jobs, couldn't vote, couldn't buy a house, couldn't rent an apartment, couldn't run for office, couldn't do so many basic things that today they take for granted. So they started the feminist movment to promote equal rights. Eventually they got pretty much all the equal rights. Now that they have them there really isn't much left for them to do from what I can tell. So what's so dumb about that? I'm just explaining the obvious?

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93
reply to post by cartenz

because, as you mentioned, chemical castration is a temporary fix for a foundational problem, my first choice is for physical castration and then what you suggest if it must be.

and, before i get bashed as a penis-hater, my theory applies to both male and female rapists.

I wasnt aware this treatment was only temporary--thanks for the learnings!
www.nejm.org...

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by cartenz

Perhaps there is less disparity where you live, western countries do have more gender equality that non-developed nations. Child brides occur in many countries, other nations have no age of consent, look at the treatment of women in Saudi Arabia, all examples of how women are treated as second class citizens. Claiming everything is fine and equal is a very anglo-centric disposition and inaccurate when placed as a WORLD view.

good point. And there's utah. But I've always wondered... in utah how does the sleeping arrangement work. Like does the guy sleep in the same bed with all his wives? Sounds very warm and cozzy!! lol

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   

So what's so dumb about that? I'm just explaining the obvious?

The fact that you only see rape as a crime that happens to women (if you even consider it a crime), that is "dumb". Furthermore, I wouldn't call it "dumb"; rather, ignorant. There is a difference, you know.

What I would call dumb is the notion that women are attempting to politicize rape in order to get more of anything. No, not at all. If anything, both men and women are standing up to certain political figures that wish to further redefine rape and label some rape as "legitimate" while other rape is what? Illegitimate? You see, women didn't dredge this topic up, a few disgraceful politicians did. Although I do not speak on behalf of all women, I'm fairly certain that women are content with the current definition of rape and I am just as certain that women are not using this political travesty to further any agenda.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Based on my understandings of polygamy from my knowledge of it in the contexts of Islam and pre-13 century CE Judaism is that, No, its not like that. The idea is based on the old testament rule that you can not "lay" with your wife, servant girl or female slave during menstruation. Having multiple wives allows for sexual relations to be had with a second or third wife, should the first be in a state of "uncleaness".

But then again, I could be wrong, the LDS kind of do their thing independent of any other sort of belief system

EDIT: I hold polygamy to be wrong!. Never mix Greek and Latin, it should be Multigamy or Polyphilia!
edit on 9-9-2012 by cartenz because: I am a pedantic SoB

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by LeatherNLace

RAPE IS DISGUSTING!!!

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93
reply to post by cartenz

I wasnt aware this treatment was only temporary--thanks for the learnings!
www.nejm.org...
you're welcome and shhhhhh ... i didn't tell you this
... but did you know there are street drugs that pratically nullify the CC effects, shortly after they've been administered ???
[no further details forthcoming so don't ask]

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Having multiple wives allows for sexual relations to be had with a second or third wife, should the first be in a state of "uncleaness".

I'm not one to nitpick, but this is one thing I don't get about the partnership between Romney and the Republican establishment. You see, what you described above is a tenant of the Mormon religion; yet, is smacks in the face of the Republican stance of abstinence and monogamy.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

reply to post by LeatherNLace

RAPE IS DISGUSTING!!!

Thank you for clarifying. Star for you

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeatherNLace

Having multiple wives allows for sexual relations to be had with a second or third wife, should the first be in a state of "uncleaness".

I'm not one to nitpick, but this is one thing I don't get about the partnership between Romney and the Republican establishment. You see, what you described above is a tenant of the Mormon religion; yet, is smacks in the face of the Republican stance of abstinence and monogamy.

Sorry, Im not from the USA, I cant really take part in any informed discussion about internal US politics. I will say in my casual observations that the Republicans seem to adjust and calibrate their stance in relation to the funding they receive.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

That is a serious flaw in the program if it can be circumvented so easily. You wouldnt need to mention the street name of the substance mentioned--I have good understanding of psychopharmacology (15 years practical as an IV user) to guess what would work.

Slight tangent: An ex-gf (who is now a state prosecuting lawyer) use to advocate harvesting organs for transplant from convicted rapists, I mentioned what I'd read about organ memory and some of the anecdotal findings from transplant patients and this convinced her otherwise.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
This article is really stupid.

If a guy attacks a women and forces sex with her, then power is indeed a factor in it. A lot of rapists even say they get off on the girls screams and attempts to get away.

A date rape scenario could very well just be about sex. Even though I can see how power could be a part of it if they are the ones drugging the drinks themselves.

If a guy wants sex he can go on craigslist and find someone, it isn't that hard to get a prostitute.

edit on 9-9-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   

...in my casual observations that the Republicans seem to adjust and calibrate their stance in relation to the funding they receive.

In the United States of America, we call that being a "sell out",or in more simplistic terms, they will take money where they can get it, regardless of philosophical difference.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by cartenz

funny thing is, there isn't really a street name.
they are common drugs used for common ailments among geriatric patients.
that's as specific as i'm gonna get on this here webthingy.

personally, i believe it was an accidental discovery by folks much like yourself.
however, it is what it is, temporary and hardly a fix.

glad to hear you had such an influence.

i would have seconded your opinion

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Everyone must think very carefully about the kind of person they want to be, about what is truly right and wrong. Choose to be a good person and then live it; think everyday about the things you would rather die than do; "I would rather die than steal, or rape, or inflict this suffering or ever do to somebody a thing which I would defend against having done to me" Live it and breath it everyday, keep it in your conscious foremind. And never forgive or excuse a rapist or allow them to repeat their incomprehensibly evil acts. We must all keep each other safe. Don't let your chicks walk home alone. Ladies don't go to frat parties and drink to excess. I see a lot of people that are morally opposed to things which they are not willing to fight against. The police are not keeping women safe, but somebody must. Please have the courage to be a real hero.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join