It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nokia Lumia 920 Hands-On

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I just want one!!! But I have to wait until November. Yeah I know everyone is talking about Iphone 5 but I have used Iphone and crap on them. The techology Nokia are using in this phone is so ahead cutting edge you ll get an orgasm just by holding it LOL

Anyways. I didnt use to like Windows on their earlier models but this W8 integration, ultrarapid response/sensitivity on the display (you can move things around even with gloves on!) is totally cool!!!

You can even point the phone towards a street and all good restaurants will come up on display (if u are looking for one). Saves me time and money

So...I want oneeeeeeee whaaaah! Mommy, Daddy wants Luuumia..whaaahhhh!

edit on 8-9-2012 by johncarter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
My wife has her hand up for one. Christmas for her this year will be easy.

Personally, I have recently jumped on the Samsung bandwagon and have been won over. I can see why Apple have been attacking Samsung in a legal sense......compared to the i-phone, the Galaxy/Android amalgamation is absolutely awesome. Faster and more pleasant to look at, the bulky i-phone is outclassed in every way.

Back to the 920 ....It will be interesting to see if the camera can stand up to the hype. I am looking forward to having a play at the first available opportunity.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Havn't Nokia gone broke yet? They have been waiting for the whole Windows Phone platform to take off, meanwhile their losses quadruple. Anyone with any tech sense knows Windows mobile platforms have always been rubbish and the consumer just isn't interested in an over simplified and uninspiring front end while the back end is old hat locked up tighter than a ducks anus. Get out Nokia, while you still have a modicum of reputation and let the Windows Phone OS die the death it so readily deserves.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Gotta love mindless consumerism and materialism.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by broli

Says the person wired into the internet plugging away "on the grid".

Are you magically wired to the online world or are you human like the rest of us and use computers to access the internet?

Do you realise that a smartphone is basically just a computer with an internet connection?

I remember people like you in the 80's.....scared of computers because of the unknown factor so you/they attack them and label them as evil with your almighty authority.

It seems that new technology still has the same effect on the simple minded.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I cannot speak for the guy that you seem to be attacking.

However, I think you might be misunderstanding him.

I think he is on about how people today wants the latest smartphone, the latest 10 trillion megapixel cameras, the fastest car, etc etc. In that sense, consumerism, and materialism has escalated.

It is quite different to how you so eloquently put it. Yes, we do need technology these days, and I for one embrace it.

But always wanting the latest tech, to show off to your friends, is that really necessary?

vvv

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Double post. I do apologize.

vvv
edit on 8-9-2012 by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

2nd that. Well said indeed.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   

In fact I'm quite a tech savvy guy, you have to be if you work in IT. I have a smartphone of my own but I didn't buy it at an outrageously senseless premium price, in fact I bought it second hand with a flaw and fixed it myself. So now I have an as new smartphone for a fraction of the retail price, if you call that simple minded then so be it.
Now, I have one because I need its features on a daily basis not because I wanted it due to some company convincing me how badly I need this gadget in my life for no real reason besides mindless consumerism.

My comment was not referring to how "bad" new technology is but to how "new and flashy" things instigate sheep mentality in people. There's a reason why the Great Pacific Garbage Patch keeps growing.
edit on 8-9-2012 by broli because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by johncarter
I just want one!!! But I have to wait until November...

...get an orgasm just by holding it LOL

So...I want oneeeeeeee whaaaah! Mommy, Daddy wants Luuumia..whaaahhhh!

REALLY?? A thread devoted to this??

This thread sounds like it was written by a little whiny spoiled brat kid.

Making a thread about wanting a little tech gadget, claiming to have orgasms over it, and then crying in the thread begging "mommy and daddy" for it is just... CREEPY IMMATURE...

Auggh, sigh! Todays younger generation is scary LOST!!!!!!!

edit on 8-9-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by johncarter

Yes, I have to agree with the others here. This line "I just want one!!! But I have to wait until November." really struck me right off the bat. It is the classic sheeple line. And I am saying this as someone who designs electronics and embraces technology.

To rave about the next gizmo as if it will still be the pinnacle of technological achievement in six months and as if you will be remembered as the kind of person you were because you owned something that a million other regular folk owned is consumerism at it's ultimate rediculous climax.

Nowhere in this am I impressed by a statement such as "I just want to do such and such to improve my community, or to save the world, or to help such and such species to survive, or anything other than I want to be the kind of person that spends huge resources and produces a huge footprint by purchasing this instant gratification device for myself that is slightly more gratifying than the last one I bought (maybe) and far less gratifing than doing something for the world.
meh.

I realize it is your money to do with what you want, but it breaks my heart to see us a a civilization going down this road.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by broli

In fact I'm quite a tech savvy guy, you have to be if you work in IT. I have a smartphone of my own but I didn't buy it at an outrageously senseless premium price, in fact I bought it second hand with a flaw and fixed it myself. So now I have an as new smartphone for a fraction of the retail price, if you call that simple minded then so be it.
Now, I have one because I need its features on a daily basis not because I wanted it due to some company convincing me how badly I need this gadget in my life for no real reason besides mindless consumerism.

So it's ok for you to have new tech because it's a tool for you, but for everyone else it is just a toy so they are just....how did you put it...mindless materialistic consumers.

Wow.

Your $#!t doesn't stink, does it?

My comment was not referring to how "bad" new technology is but to how "new and flashy" things instigate sheep mentality in people.

Really, because if we look at your quote, it looked like you were judging humanity from your throne...

Please guide us oh gracious wise one. We are blinded by marketing gurus without your all-knowing advice

There's a reason why the Great Pacific Garbage Patch keeps growing.

Wow, that is a pretty powerful statement.

Maybe you should start up a charity to collect and safely dispose of discarded smartphones that are floating in the middle of the Pacific.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

Its a smartphone of certain nice design yes. It is a simple material tool yes. It is 2012 and not hippie70ies, yes.

Obviously you dropped your humour somewhere behind your many years of aquired "wisdom" (grins).

Now...where were we....Son, dad wants this gadget badly. Go tell mom if he doesnt get one she wont have her nice car this christmas.

Mommy..daddy said.....whaaaahhhhh. he wants a Lumia or you will not get your Lexus....whaaahhh

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
The camera is that good that Nokia had to fake footage in their commericals.There was an article in today's Sun that tells you about it.
The advert with the female on the bike being filmed by the boyfriend.If you freeze frame when she goes past the bus you see a reflection of a cameraman with full professional camera.the advert then states the footage with filmed with the Nokias camera.
When exposed,Nokias answer was "perhaps we should have used a disclaimer?"and admitted the footage was not filmed on the Nokia.
What would they have put in this disclaimer?..."our advert is total lies to get you to buy more junk"

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

They quickly apologized for that commercial. The finns (Finlanders) are excellent craftsmen and have been so through history. I have an old N73 model (as a spare phone) to my usual smartphone. That 7-year-old geezer never had any problems. Runs like clockwork. Havent even changed a battery on it as the old one is just fine.

From what I have heard from a good friend in the business the tech in this 920 will blow away all competitors. He had a chance to look on a demo model and was awestruck by not only the camera with its 332 ppi pixel density, but also by all the other nifty functions nokia has crammed into this badass phone. He even scoffed at his own Samsung Galaxy s3 when comparing the mutlifunctionality and feeling of this Nokia model that is about to hit the market like a ton of bricks.

Ze phone unt masterpiece...

Ze wireless charger unit...ahhh (induction tech at its best).

unt finally, a toy for a real boy...ze wireless JBL speaker 920 connection and music bunga bunga box for daddys long office hours.

[SNIPPED]

edit on Sun Sep 9 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Yeah it looks good,especially the wireless charging.I'm at the stage of my life when I'm trying to offload years of old tech.useless junk.
But will be keeping my android for a while.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
This phone looks really good but i think ill be sticking to iPhone.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
This was going to be a purchase for my wife who is tired of the iphone and being technologically inept the tile layout seems perfect for her but... The apps seem to take a long time to start up, the camera animation "feature", there's an app that has been around for a long time that does that, nokia just stole it. No native navigation like android? I might have to rethink this purchase now, too bad...

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kutas
No native navigation like android? I might have to rethink this purchase now, too bad...

Errr...you mean this?

www.zdnet.com...

Why dont u let your wife try one before you tell her whats right for her.

with its 1.5 ghz processor . 332 ppi pixel res and 32gig memory including being connected to the russian GLONASS gps system that beats the pants out of our old crank sats up there she will probably be able to find things when your phone has gone dark due to OBAMAS shutdown of the US GPS to civilians as martial law is introduced to our dear ol nation in the year ahead.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by johncarter

From what I have heard from a good friend in the business the tech in this 920 will blow away all competitors. He had a chance to look on a demo model and was awestruck by not only the camera with its 332 ppi pixel density, but also by all the other nifty functions nokia has crammed into this badass phone. He even scoffed at his own Samsung Galaxy s3 when comparing the mutlifunctionality and feeling of this Nokia model that is about to hit the market like a ton of bricks.

What competitors? The market is dominated by Samsung and iPhone. Hell more people still have a Nokia running Symbian than WP. In other words, Nokia is competing with itself, its older, solid and still functioning devices. Nokia's main customer base were always loyal to Nokia. They have even failed to sway their own dia hard fans to switch. As for the tech, the camera isnt 332ppi, thats the pixel density of the display. My Xperia S has 342ppi density. Its got a lowly 8mp camera (albeit a Ziess lens), whereas the Xperia S has an Exmor CMOS 12mp camera. The wireless charging is pretty much a gimmick and though the Lumia is 4G capable, by the time theres enough 4G coverage to warrant its existence, the 920 will have been replaced by a newer model.
edit on 8-9-2012 by quackers because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join