It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terror takes back seat; Americans safer now

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Terror takes back seat; Americans safer now

WASHINGTON (AP) -- As Americans debate whether they are better off now than they were four years ago, there is another question with a somewhat easier answer: Are you safer now than you were when President Barack Obama took office?

While the threat of a terror attack has not disappeared, the combined military, intelligence, diplomatic and financial efforts to hobble al-Qaida and its affiliates have escalated over the past four years and have paid off. Top terror leaders, including Osama bin Laden, are dead and their networks in Pakistan, Yemen and Somalia disrupted.

Defense officials are wary of China's military growth, and the U.S. intelligence community has accused the communist giant for systematically stealing American high-tech data through computer-based attacks. U.S. officials and security experts also are increasingly warning that the United States is highly vulnerable to cyberattacks - including one that could take down the electric grid, financial networks or energy plants.

"We have strengthened our alliances around the world to protect against future threats, locked down nuclear materials and improved our homeland defenses," said Tommy Vietor, spokesman for the National Security Council. "The U.S. is absolutely safer now than four years ago."

Source

At a time when government agencies are stockpiling ammunition in their own country and arrests are being made on Americans for what they Tweet or type into their Facebook status fields... A report suddenly hits the AP telling us that we're safer now than we were eleven years ago.

Rubbish.

The article goes on to talk about al-Qaida losing their ability to strike us... and also addresses Iran, Israel, and even China.. It all seems empty to me. Rhetoric, like the red scare, to justify the increasing militarization back home.

Come now folks, you don't need all of that overrated freedom. You're safe now...

Folks, I hate to say it, but Orwell had it nailed down. This is total propaganda with an end game of eliminating freedom in the name of security.

Terror isn't taking a backseat at all... we're just watching, wide eyed and slack jawed, as we wake to the fact that our own government is now considering US the terrorists and national security issue....

~Heff

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

*whew*

So when are they going to close DHS and TSA?

It won't last. They need us afraid. They need us to fear someone or something. They need that to justify taking away the rest of our freedoms.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Originally posted by beezzer

*whew*

Exactly what I said too! Now that Big Brother has set me at ease, I guess I can sell my guns and take the deadbolt out of my door! I've been waiting a LONG time for the "all clear!!

No... no... no... You're not thinking like a good dron... ummm... citizen. The DHA and TSA are what made things safer. So the right idea here is to praise these agencies and praise the government when they create a few more just like these or increase the powers of the ones we have now! The boogyman might surface again, even stronger and more powerful this time around!

We know this to be true because we've all watched Freddy Kruger movies!

It won't last. They need us afraid. They need us to fear someone or something. They need that to justify taking away the rest of our freedoms.

Well... Beezzer my friend. They've already got a new target for us to fear... each other.

( Oh, and the sarcasm dripping from my words wasn't directed at Beezzer... I respect the Beez immensely. But the US government? Not so much...)

Thanks for replying Beezzer.

~Heff
edit on 9/8/12 by Hefficide because: typo

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Ahhhh, I see.

If the TSA and DHS made us "safe", then increasing the size, scope, and practice of the DHS and TSA will make us "safer".

Gotta go. "Idol" is on.
*drool*

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Lmao... what are the terrorists in office in dizzy city going on an early holiday ?
or taking a break to dream up their next threat ....

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Idols on??? Darn I missed my daily mental sedative then... bummer!

Personally I'm going to write congress to ask if I can have a TSA screener in my bathroom... never know when I might fall in the shower or need somebody to decide if my shampoo is an IED.

reply to post by Expat888

They've already picked out the next target!

Saying that the terrorists are crushed and America is safe will incite people to start saying "Well, if it's safe - bring our troops home now then!" And the government will happily do so. That's what they want. Then, when dissent here grows more prevalent and the citizens begin gathering in large groups to protest, TPTB won't have to deal with the complex logistics of trying to rush soldiers home to protect them from us. The soldiers will be here already. Keeping us safe

It's amazing how easy it is for us all to get manipulated!

~Heff

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Well... Beezzer my friend. They've already got a new target for us to fear... each other.

See, I knew there was a reason the MSM was reporting,with their best fear-mongering tactics, all the recent mass killings.

Don't worry about the Red Menace....or Al Qaeda....it's your next door neighbor you need to turn in :shk:

Where's that video I saw a day or two ago from that former Soveit agent saying it was their plan all along

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

I couldn't agree more. Those TSA scans we are subjected to? They are for:

a: creating the illusion of safety and
b: something more nefarious I haven't figured out yet

They are not, however, there to stop terrorists or save anyone or make anyone safer. I fly A LOT.
No offense to anyone here working security at the airport, but most of you are idiots who know
nothing about security; and the govt. wants to keep it that way.

I love humanity with all of it's quirks and idiosyncrasies, and am kind and respectful even to those who I
see as ignorant and idiotic, because:
I know there are many with minds and abilities and talents much greater than mine. Compared to them
I am like a cheetah running as fast as I can while they sit still on an airplane that goes much faster
and farther than I could ever hope to and to them I AM THE IDIOT. With that being said , let me tell you
guys just how UNsafe you are while riding a plane. The planes must be cleaned, vacuumed, etc. between
flights. I know for a fact that most airports , especially international ones, do a minimal background check
on the people who clean the planes, and don't drug test. (Though I am against drug testing for almost all
jobs, except pilots, etc.)

When these people come in, they don't have to pass through any sort of security
and bring backpacks,etc. to work with them so they can change clothes,etc. Oh, and
they have full access to the cockpit; in case you were wondering. Any one of them could plant a bomb,
explosives,firearms,etc. any time they please. That is why this whole 9/11 thing is so silly to me. When
infiltrating you look for weaknesses in the system. Why spend months learning to fly a plane
when you can join a cleaning crew under an alias ? I also happen to know that there are quite a few
Muslim men and women working these crews, so if they wanted to mess with a plane it would have been
done already. Sleep tight

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Boy I am glad we got the all clear. Now I can go back to watching "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo". Thank you almighty Government. How could I ever live without you taking care of me.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Im safer?

I know for sure I will get molested at my own airport.

Everyday I see a new video of police beating the hell out of innocents.

I was never personally attacked by a terrorist. My nation however was.

My own countrymen are being detained without due process.

I worry more about the cops abusing my livelihood more so than 'gang bangers".

Our leaders let millions of illegals flow into our country while worrying about us being the terrorists.

My govt is sponsoring war constantly.

My govt is spending money like it grows on trees.

My govt gave big banks our money so they could stay rich.

My govt gave big companies and unions money so they could keep making bad decisions.

My govt ran guns across the border and lost them.

... That said..I hardly feel safer.

I dont want to feel safe anyhow- I want to feel free. They have regulated our lives to the point where we cant even have one.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
The terrorist side is strangely lacking any verbal ability to project their cause. With the attention-grabbing position, one would think that a message in accordance to public fear level would eventually come out. But none. They are eerily mute.
"The dog that doesn´t hunt" comes to mind.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

*whew*

Yes! they need us to fear each other.
they need us to fear the troops coming home from the hell they made they suffer?

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I just reread this OP from eight days ago and, my, my, my how things can change in a week.

I wonder... was this article geared to get us all to take our eyes off of the ball at just the right moment? I mean, no sooner said than worldwide violence and riots.

Hrm.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by bangoli

b: something more nefarious I haven't figured out yet

It's called 'SUBMIT AND OBEY' - that's it. That's all it is. As complex and simple as that.

DISROBE NOW!
OFF WITH YOUR COAT!
OFF WITH YOUR SHOES!
OFF WITH YOUR BELT!
SEPARATE YOURSELF FROM YOUR "THINGS" NOW!
SHOW YOUR PAPERS! NOW!
RAISE YOUR HANDS LIKE A CRIMINAL NOW!

Get it?

Submit. And. Obey. Amerika. Now.

As for being 'safer'?

That's such a load a stool meat I can only blanch and shake my head.

Added note: I just came back from the USA after more than a decade and a few in absence. It is so not the same place I left I was horrified. I've been thinking of starting a thread about just that issue but honestly? If I hear one more comment like 'it's safer now' or 'so we gave up freedom for safety, who cares?' or worse yet 'hey, I didn't do anything wrong why should I care if TPTB keep us all under surveillance' - I'll loose heart all together.

peace

edit on 17-9-2012 by silo13 because: spacing

top topics

join