It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Introducing: The Semar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Semar is the Javanese main deity. Many misconceive him as a Hindu deity. This is not true, since Semar is a native Javanese deity preceeding the arival of Hinduism and Buddhism in Indonesia, in the 1st century AD.

[align=center][/align]

The semar uniqueness IMHO lays in his clown like appearience. Atlhough some might disagree with me, if I describe him very much resembling the modern clown. Some also say that the Semar is a more symbolic character rather than a historical one. Or that of a mythical one.

His face resambles of a crying and a laughing expression, at the same time. This symbolizes duality. Perhaps the concept of Yin Yan. The unified philosopy of bittersweet, I prefer to say. The oneness of sadness and happiness.

[align=center]
The Semar as a shadow puppet figure[/align]

But sometimes Semar is also said to be unisexual, neither a male or female. Similar to the Buddhistic Brahma. His appereance is also said to be of a servant, not as of other supreme deities from other civilizations or cultures. Yet he is also told to be very powerfull, just like any other gods.

But primarly Semar is conceived as a very wise but yet subtle, gentle and not high profile deity, in his ways. Humour is another dominant part of the Semar. He is a deity to be idolized and to be looked up as a role model or reference, but also to be laughed at. He very much resambles the Javanese culture and philosopy.

[align=center]
Semar figure in Javanese caligraph[/align]

But some have the oppinion that the Semar didnt predate the Hindu and Buddhist traditions, instead he was a symbol of the counter cultural movement of Javanese native people toward the penetrating Hindu and Buddhism beliefs.

The Semar had three children, which are also not less comical than Semar. They are Gareng, Petruk and Bagong. I am not sure what they should represent or symbolize, though. My pardon.

Semar as a word, is also sometimes intepreted into the Indonesian word "samar", which means subtle, or formless, like what spirituality ought to be. "Samar" means "not obvious" or aetherlike, or sublime, non material, indeterministic, or even a matter of personal experience/intepretation. Astral, mental, ghoib, of another realm, mysthical etc, etc.

[align=center]
Semar and his 3 children[/align]

Thats it for now, ladies and gents
Thank you for visiting my thread. Hopefully it did any good, cheers.

Semar wiki page in english.
edit on 8-9-2012 by coyote66 because: sorry cant get the images & alignment thing right

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Well, I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but that... that thing is a little on the grotesque side.

Thanks for the information!

P.S. You'll just have to use blank characters for here as I don't believe ATS has enabled the alignment function.
edit on 8-9-2012 by ErroneousDylan because: ETA

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by coyote66

Certainly an attractive deity.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
This is so interesting!! I study astrology extensively, and out all positions in the zodiac, people who's sun sign is on a Pisces/Aries cusp seem to be the most intriguing out of all. Pisces is traditionally seen as the sign of death, and Aries of rebirth. The cusp represents a paradoxical big bang of sorts.

I have three friends who are in this position (two with their sun sign, one in his moon sign), and it seems that they have an almost cynically realistic, and partially humorous, viewpoint on life and the meaning of existence.

Furthermore, I find the concept of "humor" itself extremely interesting. What makes us laugh? Why do we laugh? In philosophical terms, what is the reason for an outburst of that erratic noise we call laughter? It is, by wikipedia's explanation, an expression of happiness. But what is the source of that burst of happiness? Irony, paradoxical unreality... in infants the source of laughter is tickling, or jokes that create a sudden unreality from the usual reality. Going from the old bread 'n butter antics of their boring parents, to the parents making funny faces, making strange sounds, giving them novel sensations.

So in conclusion I think having a diety who basically represents the meaning to "life, the universe and everything" (and further more Japan... LOL) as a paradoxical figure makes complete sense. Far too often do we neglect the concept of humor when musing about philosophy and theosophy.

EXCELENT post!

top topics

join