It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia building nuclear submarines for India

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Russia building nuclear submarines for India

By Vladimir Radyuhin

MOSCOW, OCT. 13. Russia is building two nuclear submarines for the Indian Navy, a leading business daily here reported.

The construction of two unfinished nuclear submarines of Project 971 resumed this month at the Amur Shipyards in Komsomolsk-on-the-Amur, the Kommersant newspaper said. The building of the submarines was suspended several years ago due to lack of funds.

Under an agreement with Russia, India will lease the two submarines and will provide money to enable the Amur Shipyards to complete their construction. According to the report, India has already made an advance payment of $100 million on the contract worth $1.6 billion to $1.7 billion. Even though there are no international restrictions on the sale of nuclear submarines to India, the Defence Ministers emphatically denied they had as much as discussed the deal during their meeting in Delhi in January.

The question I have is, will the Russians provide the weapons to arm these 2 subs or does India have a program in place that make torpedos and missles.

Or I guess I country could buy these products from North Korea or China

www.hindu.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
RUSSIA - Arming 3rd World Nations throughout the world for the upcoming Armageddon...Yay!

I wonder how long it took for the meeting between Russia and Pakistan to commence.....

"Comrade, look what your enemy is buying! Now, over here, look at these babies, huh? Can you see such a beaut soaring through the sky to your enemy? And for you my friend....a special introductory price..."

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   
More power to them.
Personally, with the current level of relations between India and the US, a stronger India is certainly within the best interests of the US and US foreign policy in that region (Taiwan and MiddleEast).

The significance of this is that it is highlighting the growing 'dividing line' between China and India and India and Pakistan.

seekerof

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   
The Akula class is a beautiful vessel. The Akula II is even better :

"The Akula is the quietest Russian nuclear submarine ever designed, and the low noise levels came as a surprise to Western intelligence. Russia claims the Akula is the quietest of its domestically built submarines and is fitted with acoustic countermeasure equipment. Noise reduction efforts include rafting the propulsion plant, anechoic tiles on the outside and inside of the hulls and possibly other measures such as active noise cancellation. Nonetheless, the American Improved Los Angeles class retained a decisive edge in silencing compared to the Akuka I. The Project 971A Akula II incorporated an improved double layer silencing system for the power train. According to Russian sources, this variant had noise emissions that were roughly the level of a basic Los Angeles and that of the Improved Los Angeles at slow speeds"

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
RUSSIA - Arming 3rd World Nations throughout the world for the upcoming Armageddon...Yay!

I wonder how long it took for the meeting between Russia and Pakistan to commence.....

"Comrade, look what your enemy is buying! Now, over here, look at these babies, huh? Can you see such a beaut soaring through the sky to your enemy? And for you my friend....a special introductory price..."

Gazrok, since you are the moderator, I'm going to use my words very carefully
which otherwise I might not have for such a post.

Firstly, India and Russia's relationship is a long standing one. It is one that has stood the test of the time.

Secondly, India is not a third world nation that would use weapons "willy-nilly". It is a more responsible nation and a model example for other nations. That is more than what can be said of the current US world reputation.

Thirdly, Russian and Indian bilateral especially military ties, go way back. Most of the recent russian developments have been funded by the Indian DRDO (Defence and Research and Development Organization). The Brahmos missile, the fifth generation Sukhoi Berkhut SU47 joint striker fighter are but some of the examples that eminate from this relationship.

Nowadays, India is looking more to Israel in terms of military-defence co-operation. India has is the largest buyer of arms from that country and trade between the two countries is on an all time high, (third only to the US and UK). The sale of American funded Phalcon Awacs, and the training of Indian soldiers, joint R&D are but some examples of this.

In short there is no turning back for India. India is well on the march, economically, strategically, and militarily. To push it off as 'third world' is rather immature to say the least. And a nuclear powered India makes it all the more probable for the world to really take up and notice where this country is headed.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 02:44 AM
link   
^^^Indeed! Though since breakup of the soviet union relations between the two countries have waned, Russia is still Indias proverbial "best friend."

And like it or not Russia and Pakistan probably have the same relationship that exists between russia and say South Korea. "The enemy of my friend is my enemy or "the friend of my enemy is my enemy" whichever way you look at it!

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Also the reason why Inida need nuke subs now is to counter the cinese nuke subs whichare SLBM capable. IMHO thats the only thing the Chinese navy has that could hurt the Indian navy.
Plus India has its own nuke sub program, and nuke carrier program. This experience gained with imported nuke subs and carriers will help in realising those projects.
The Pakis unfortunatley do not have the infrastructural and technical capabilities to build nuke subs or anything that advanced. Their nuclear tech is mostly chinese derived and their missile tech is mostly NK derived.

Why does the US support Pakistan when it KNOWS that they are bartering nuclear tech for missile tech with the North Koreans??!! It perplexes me to no extent!!

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   

How do they call this in American? Business!!! Sell weapons to both enemies so they cancel each other out.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Russian

How do they call this in American? Business!!! Sell weapons to both enemies so they cancel each other out.

Im hoping that was a joke because other wise im begining to doubt whether Russian represents the Russian political mindset..

Choose your allies Russian before you've squandered them all!

We're the only country which has put your military tech to good use, i.e. translating them into a success.All the others you sold your tech to have made it look $hitty. Namely Iraqis, Egyptians, Syrians, Lebenese and China (w.r.t. North Koreans and Viet coms). So have a little respect!

You mock India and you lose the only REAL ally you've ever had...

[edit on 19-10-2004 by Daedalus3]

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Sorry I dont mean to bash the Indians. I really think they did a good thing with what they go. I am also happy that they have great relations with Russia. I hope you people will have alot of fun with your new Admiral Gorshkov!

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I can tell Russia likes to spread the LOVE.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

USA spreads the LOVE one way (McDonalds) and Russia spreads the love another way! :d:

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   

USA spreads the LOVE one way (McDonalds) and Russia spreads the love another way! :d:

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Sure ..No harm done. As long as you know who's on your side. We were the first country to endorse your stand on Chechnya as you were the first to back us in Kashmir. Though I feel we let you down in your afghanistan escapade. We could have been of more assistance to you there.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 05:49 AM
link   
So the Russians are denying that they are building the Subs for India, so in reality they could be re-building there fleet of nuclear submarines ?

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Russian

LOL I have nothing against russia, so you know. I was being funny, tring anyway.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by aryaputhra

Gazrok, since you are the moderator, I'm going to use my words very carefully
which otherwise I might not have for such a post.

Firstly, India and Russia's relationship is a long standing one. It is one that has stood the test of the time.

Secondly, India is not a third world nation that would use weapons "willy-nilly". It is a more responsible nation and a model example for other nations. That is more than what can be said of the current US world reputation.

Thirdly, Russian and Indian bilateral especially military ties, go way back. Most of the recent russian developments have been funded by the Indian DRDO (Defence and Research and Development Organization). The Brahmos missile, the fifth generation Sukhoi Berkhut SU47 joint striker fighter are but some of the examples that eminate from this relationship.

Nowadays, India is looking more to Israel in terms of military-defence co-operation. India has is the largest buyer of arms from that country and trade between the two countries is on an all time high, (third only to the US and UK). The sale of American funded Phalcon Awacs, and the training of Indian soldiers, joint R&D are but some examples of this.

In short there is no turning back for India. India is well on the march, economically, strategically, and militarily. To push it off as 'third world' is rather immature to say the least. And a nuclear powered India makes it all the more probable for the world to really take up and notice where this country is headed.

You forgot the Indo russian pact on the development of the PAK-FA.

how could you ignore admiral gorshkov ?

and the MKI

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   
The trouble is that Russian Technology gets a bad name from amatures who use it. The big countries which do, like India, use it well, but its the likes of hardly-trained insurgents who haven't entered in combat where its gets the reputation from.

Obvious not with subs though, lol. I think it is a good thing, as why should other countries not be alowed these weapons when America And Europe are? They have every right to defend themeselves too. Look at Iraq: Saddam had no weapons, and he got thrown out of power. He provided video's of the weapons destruction for pete's sake. Oh well.

Russian Technology is great though. How about some Typhoon's next? Those things are great...

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I read somewhere that the subs that they're building are nuke missile capable too! But i thought they were building akulas and i thought akulas are attack subs meant to protect the typhoons etc..

And yeah sure Inidians would love to have a typhoon or 2!!

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I really doubt that India's going to outright purchise the Akulas that are being built. At the very least, they will lease the platform as an interim measure.

India's submarine attack fleet in the near future would be comprised mainly of a locally manufactured DCN Scorpone derivative.

Rumors are flying around that India's own nuclear submarine program, the Advanced Technology Vessel (ATV) project is nearing critical mass, no pun intended. Don't be surprised to see a powerful nuclear submarine class inducted in the next 4 years

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join