It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prices on Silver?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Anybody else invest in the poor man's gold?
Its back up over $33.60 an ounce.

I invest in the pre '64 US coins 90% silver coins mostly quarters - just figure if the crap hits the fan - you have silver pieces w/the US on them that you can trade with.

Would love to here any other strategies you guys have for physical silver - I just dont think that those paper dollars, stocks, 401K's are going to be worth anything when the # hits the fan.

Peace

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by BABYBULL24

Garage sales are great places to get 925 silver. People don't even know what they're selling 1/2 the time. What to do with it after that, I would appreciate any info/feedback!

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   

If you are looking to get barter items for after SHTF then I would go with ammo,tobbaco,some cheap vodka or whiskey,coffee or any other vice that people wont want to give up. To me i could give a crap about silver but if you have a pack of smokes you could get alot out of me. Oh and condoms might be good trade also.

edit on 8-9-2012 by Paradox1121 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Paradox1121

I think most people who are collecting silver have a lot of other barter items, the reason I never mentioned them was because this thread was about Silver.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Realistically, if things fall so far that a new money isn't quickly instituted to replace the dollar, it's back to Barter-town for awhile regardless. That could very well happen in some areas of the nation. Particularly off the densely populated coasts if things fall apart in a serious way, IMO. What good will either gold or silver do in the near term?

Personally, I don't have the acids on hand to test gold and don't know....or have time to learn how to identify gold any other way. I'm guessing, I'm about average to most people in that way. Silver is worse. Aside from knowing silver is non-ferrous, so a magnet picking it up means the fight is on (
) I wouldn't know from anything how to tell real silver in a SHTF situation... does anyone else?

I guess for the long term freeze of wealth that can be converted back when it's all over and society rebuilds a working financial system, it makes sense..but while times are hard, I still haven't figured out how I could accept it, let alone spend it among average people?

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Hate to double post but a good site - if you cant afford silver then look threw your change - take a look at pre "82 pennies - in copper melt value - pre "82 pennies are worth 250% of their face value.

I won't go into silver rolling of 1/2 dollars at banks but people are doing it.

Peace

www.coinflation.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by BABYBULL24
Anybody else invest in the poor man's gold?
Its back up over $33.60 an ounce.

I invest in the pre '64 US coins 90% silver coins mostly quarters - just figure if the crap hits the fan - you have silver pieces w/the US on them that you can trade with.

Who would want silver or gold in a shtf event? I think toilet paper, bullets and pain pills would be better bartering medium.

But I do invest in silver and gold, both metal and futures.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Realistically, if things fall so far that a new money isn't quickly instituted to replace the dollar, it's back to Barter-town for awhile regardless. That could very well happen in some areas of the nation. Particularly off the densely populated coasts if things fall apart in a serious way, IMO. What good will either gold or silver do in the near term?

Personally, I don't have the acids on hand to test gold and don't know....or have time to learn how to identify gold any other way. I'm guessing, I'm about average to most people in that way. Silver is worse. Aside from knowing silver is non-ferrous, so a magnet picking it up means the fight is on (
) I wouldn't know from anything how to tell real silver in a SHTF situation... does anyone else?

I guess for the long term freeze of wealth that can be converted back when it's all over and society rebuilds a working financial system, it makes sense..but while times are hard, I still haven't figured out how I could accept it, let alone spend it among average people?

Great points - gold coins are forged all the time especially from China with Gold north of $1000 an ounce but silver is $33 an ounce nobody is counterfeiting coins at that price an ounce. It doesnt make sense - you make no money. lol

I find my deals on Ebay & you can usually find a price under spot for silver.
edit on 8-9-2012 by BABYBULL24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   

If you're the prepper sort, why not invest in items that can actually be of use instead of chunks of metal you can't eat or really use for any purpose other than money?

Why not invest in ammunition for instance, or the tools to make your own ammo in reclaiming spent brass?
Having a few years worth of Farmer's almanacs might be worthy trade material for folks that know nothing about growing their own food suddenly being forced to do so.

Training manuals, how-to guides, guides to edible and medicinal plants, How Stuff Works (the Book), Encyclopaedia Britannica set, medical books, Chemistry and formula books, and any number of skill and knowledge information material might be more valuable in teaching people how to fish instead of giving them a fish, or a piece of silver.

You could trade knowledge in useful things; a gift that keeps on giving like how to build a smithy and work metal. How to make medicine like penicillin, or how to build a still to make alcohol (for more than just entertainment)

Further, if you don't know any of these things, you'll have the knowledge available to learn them.

Knowledge that other people don't have might be worth more than silver, and more than gold depending the degree of any sort of apocalypse.

edit on 8-9-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I'm thinking of investing in Graphite

The price has gone from $1,600/t in 2009 to about $3,000/t in 2012

www.indmin.com...

Why Graphite Stocks May Continue To Outperform

Carbon wears many faces. It ranges in form from precious diamonds such as Elizabeth Taylor’s Hope Diamond to electrolytic anodes found in the new generation of batteries. The word graphite originates from the Greek meaning to write.

Now we see that graphite isn’t just found in pencils anymore. Graphite is rapidly earning a new recognition as a component in the latest clean energy technologies such as the lithium-ion battery, fuel cells, pebble bed nuclear reactors and vanadium-redox batteries critical for green energy, wind turbines and solar cells.

www.resourceinvestor.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I invest in silver because the S will HTF; but not long term.

Once the currency collapses, if you can buy the new world currency with silver then you'll be significantly wealthier than you were pre-collapse. Instead of putting my cash in a savings account I save silver. It's inflation proof and safer than cash on hand.

If I thought we were going to have an economic collapse that we would never recover from, then I'd invest in more items such as liquor, toilet paper, food for years, ect. I have enough of that stuff for my family, but not to trade.

It'll be a life changing event, millions may die in a short period of time from the unrest that ensues; but it won't last long.
edit on 8/9/12 by xstealth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
What i try to tell anyone who would lend me there ear, Silver and Gold are for after SHTF. In a SHTF situation food, ammo, booze, seeds, ect, will be worth more then gold and silver. Once order is restored and commerce is reestablished then you will see the true value of your gold and silver. but you have to survive first.

once you fell you have all your bear necessities to survive, i would only then start investing in gold and silver with whatever cash you have left.

Thats my 2 silver dimes worth.

edit on 11-9-2012 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

PS, look up what people from around the world had to say when there countries collapsed, Argentina, Bosnia, many others. They tell stories of how gold and silver were near worthless when people were starving in the streets. They even tell stories of woman selling themselves for a can of beans. But after order was reestablished they wished they had that gold and silver.
edit on 11-9-2012 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Silver is great for gearing up for when SHTF. Many companies have marketing towards survivalists to invest in their gold/silver investment schemes. Mostly it is good for separating fools from their money.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

melt it down to bars and bury or sell

simples

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I buy silver bars. 1oz bars usually. I get them for about £30 delivered and certified. I don't have them for a SHTF scenario, i have them for before that and after it.

Silver prices are being held low, it is the one metal that if things don't hit the fan, you can be sure to make a FORTUNE out of in 20-30 years.

There is less and less silver available, and its commercial and medical uses keep on rising.

Why else do you think China is buying it all and ignoring gold?

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

The advice I give my friends on "junk silver" (pre 64 quarters, dimes, etc. that have silver in them) is to collect, but never purchase in large quantities. You can get these at face value when you're lucky and with some work. Go to banks and buy rolls of quarters and dimes (again, you're "buying" them, but at face value. In other words you're trading your paper for the coins). Then go through them and collect the silver. You dont get a LOT this way, but you dont pay a premium - only time.
If you want to PAY for your silver, buy the .999 bullion coins from reputable dealers.
Just my .02

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by azureskys

Might be a great investment if things stay on the level, BUT
If you can't hold it in your hand, do you really own it when the SHTF? That's why for a SHTF I keep physical metals, and trade goods like whiskey and toilet paper (no joke).

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by therealdemoboy

The advice I give my friends on "junk silver" (pre 64 quarters, dimes, etc. that have silver in them) is to collect, but never purchase in large quantities. You can get these at face value when you're lucky and with some work. Go to banks and buy rolls of quarters and dimes (again, you're "buying" them, but at face value. In other words you're trading your paper for the coins). Then go through them and collect the silver. You dont get a LOT this way, but you dont pay a premium - only time.
If you want to PAY for your silver, buy the .999 bullion coins from reputable dealers.
Just my .02

I wouldn't waste my time on rolling the quarters & dimes - those are long gone from circulation. In the last 5 years ive found 2 silver quarters & 1 dime and that was from a local bagel shop in change that is near a retirement community - don't think the old timers realize the quarters are worth $5 a pop.

Some guys i know roll the half dollars from banks - think you would have better luck with them but not all banks carry them anymore. .

Good luck

SILVER JACKPOT: FIRST TIME BANK ROLL HUNTING

edit on 14-9-2012 by BABYBULL24 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-9-2012 by BABYBULL24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
If something happens, people will be leery about taking gold. A lot of gold out there isn't what it appears to be. I know a guy who was trying to sell a gold chain as 24k and it couldn't have been 24k because it was way to hard. He brought it to a buyer and tried to convince the buyer that it was pure because it was stamped as 24k. The buyer told him it would have to be sent in to verify and he got mad at the buyer. Just because he was conned into believe it was real doesn't mean others will be.

I believe it's better to keep silver than gold. You can't eat either but more people will take the silver in the general public than gold. If everything goes down, than it may take four silver dollars to buy a bushel of potatoes. The value of a bushel of potatoes may be three hundred bucks if money gets worthless. I can see that having a little of everything is good for bartering. I wish I could afford some silver but unless I can get it at a rummage sale I can't. I'm not going to start paying thirty+ an ounce for it, maybe I should have bought it at seven. I'll survive, there are plenty of fish and wildlife around. I'll invest in a couple bushels of spuds, I can always plant potatoes if I save some. Gotta have butter for those potatoes to neutralize some of the bad effects of potatoes. Maybe I'll invest in canned butter
Cookies to go with my coffee.

new topics

top topics

join