It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An experiment in reverse psychology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I am not presenting anything interesting here.

I hope nobody reads this.

Stop now you are wasting your time.

This is an empty thread.

DO NOT FLAG IT!

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
What if you're using reverse-reverse psychology, and you know we'll think you want us to do these things and so we won't. Hmmmm.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

I'd honestly be surprised if this nonsense got a single flag. Thought the blank video was sort of funny, though.
edit on 9/7/2012 by PatrickGarrow17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
you on something bro if not ya should be wink wink

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
O noes, I don't know what to do. I cannot help but touch shiny things...The agony! The torment! To flag or not to flag. THAT is the question.

O and by the way, this really is a horrible experiment, lol, because the majority of those who flag it will do so out of a sense of humor, and not because you are telling them not to. Just my opinion though, and I could be wrong...But rarely does that ever happen!

edit on 9/7/12 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by PatrickGarrow17

..................one of the voices in my head is telling me to flag it. There are a couple that don't care. A few of them said not to flag it. The loudest voice is saying for me to smoke and think about it for a minute. I'll b back.

Edit -

I'm back and after many painstaking seconds of deliberation here is what i (we) decided.

I flagged it but not with a new flag with a used flag. You see I went out and took a flag back that I gave to another member and gave it to you.

How did that work into your experiment?

edit on 8-9-2012 by cavalryscout because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
This is not the thread you are looking for.

Move along.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

I disagree, people are constantly motivated to do things because they are told they can't. Go read a thread on people trying to develop super powers.

My personality is of a rebellious disposition, and I often find when an authority figure tells me to do something I have an urge for the opposite.

But you're right, in this case it would be the joke aspect being flagged.
edit on 9/8/2012 by PatrickGarrow17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Decided I'd try and spin this into a serious thing.

By playing your cards right, most actions can be manipulated with reverse psychology. Learning about psychology can be a great way to exploit other people’s actions.

-The more you say you don’t want them to do something, the more they want to do
-The more you do something that you don’t want others to do, the more others will want to do.

Marketing strategy site

Milton Erickson–who, when his child refused to eat the asparagus on his plate, countered his wife's demands by telling his young son that of course he shouldn't eat his asparagus–brilliantly providing him with the unacceptable reason: "You're not old enough." Which was quite enough to get the resistant child to immediately set about devouring his asparagus–to demonstrate unequivocally to his parents that, yes, he was indeed old enough to eat the "advanced" vegetable.
Psychology Today

So the method used in my OP was maybe a little basic to work. If I had said something to imply a person who doesn't flag this is inferior, like, "You'll never figure out that this post is a metaphor, so don't flag it." It would have worked to a higher extent.

new topics

top topics

join