It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do I have any rights?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I live in an apartment in a 2 family home in queens NYC. I am currently out of work and things have been very tight to say the least. Today I just received some very disturbing news. The owner of the house has decided to put it on the market. I am a member of a laborers union and trying to get myself on a crew I have been willing to accept any work I could get instead of getting a perminant job all I did was manage to put a monkey wrench in my unemployment benefits. I already borrowed what I had in my annuity fund to get my family this far without being homeless.

Now with her selling the house I am at a lost for what I am going to be able to do. Without any source of income I am barely scraping by now. Selling my possessions and anything else I could just to keep a roof over head and food on the table.

There is no way I can afford rent,security, and possibly real estate fees. I can barely cover rent from month to month and I am behind on every other bill I have.

I am in no way looking for a free ride or to screw over my landlord . I have been here 5 years and they have always been fair and understanding to me and my family.

I guess my real question is can they just put me and my family in the street if they sell. I feel very awful but I have been thinking about with holding my rent so I can put together enough money to move. I have no family members I can turn to so its me against the world as stands and I am mortified thinking of what will happen if I am evicted before I find a place for my family.

Thanks for any advice or info

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by navione

I wish I had advice to offer you. I've been in a difficult situation myself for the past couple of years and have had to adapt and overcome many times over. Currently I'm living with a friend and doing whatever needs to be done around the house as a means of paying rent.

Regarding the house being on the market - one advantage you might have is that the market is glutted currently and the home may not sell for a protracted period of time. That's something.

Other than that - social services... Many feel it improper to use them. But if one has no other choice, there's no shame in it. You've paid into the system all your working life. There's no sin, shame, or crime in utilizing what you've helped pay for IMO.

I wish you all the best.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

edit on 7-9-2012 by nightbringr because: pops

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by navione

Do you have a lease? NYC laws regarding home sales are pretty strict in favor of tenants rights.

A tenant with a lease is protected from eviction during the lease period so long as the tenant does not violate any substantial provision of the lease or any local housing laws or codes.

Even if the house sells, the new owner must abide by your lease.
www.housingnyc.com...

If you don't have a lease, don't fret yet. Evictions in NYC also take foooooreevver - so you may have more time than you think.

edit on 7-9-2012 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by navione

Are you willing to move? I'm absolutely serious as I can imagine few places scarier for sheer cost of living to a well established person than New York City, let alone someone looking at homeless. My entire mortgage in Missouri is about $500 in terms of the same Fed. minimum wages compared to how far it may go. Employment here isn't great, but it IS in a few locations. Depends on your skills...the new oil fields and energy development in North Dakota has it the blue ribbon winner for low Unemployment at 3.1 % over a multi-month average.

If NYC is home and all there can be, I understand. I wouldn't move any more in my life personally either, unless my family depended on it. Then.. I dunno..

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I am more then willing to relocate. Actually one of the reasons I am in this mess is because I had made plans to relocate 2 years ago . My wife left a good civil service job and the job offer I was offered end up disappearing last minute. Since then it's only me working and my union has been at a crawl. I am number 1987 on the list so if I use proper channels almost 2000 people need to be placed before me. The problem is if you work around the list and find a job if you end up not sticking or being laid off you go to the end of the list.

I will say this I have never ever been this stressed and worried my intire life. Before this recession I owned a local pub and worked my union gig. Life was sweet. Now well everyday is a challenge . I try my very best to take it in stride and keep pushing because with children relying on you what else can I do. But these last few months have been so trying I am honestly at my witts end.

I was so close to being able to move up north and live a more sustainable life which is really what I was driving for. Now it seems like I will end up being separated from my wife and children because her parents co-op has an occupancy limit and also no pets.

Never before have I found myself seeking help from unnatural or unworldly sources. Sounds funny trust me I know but if I could secure my children's future I would gladly sell my soul or dedicate my life to Jesus ,Allah, Buddha or the giant spaghetti monster in the sky. I find myself trying to find comfort from things I would have never given a second thought about it. David Ickes and Wilcocks come to mind...anyway thank you everyone for your advice.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I have never posted a rant. I know that things are bad yes but it could always be worse and I should count myself lucky I was born here and not in Ethiopia . Lifes not fair the game is rigged you do the best you can with what you have . But day in and day out for the last 5 years all I see is the rich getting richer and the poorer getting poorer.

I don't have any faith in any off the 2012 stuff not the positive or the negative. But when will enough be enough . When will humanity as a whole break free from the bondage. What will it take for us to stop the dog eat dog mentality and start the dog eat handler part of the voyage. They say people never speak up until its them in the position and by the time it happens you will be the only one left.. Will it take a world changing event to change the world. Why if we all know the game do we continue to play against each other?

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Bump because I am worrying myself sick and can really use some more info.

Thanks everyone.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
No. Once the current owner sells....it the new owners properety...and he can do what he wants. You had rights with the old one...none with the new ones: it'll be HIS house, HIS rules...and if he doesnt want to rent it...he can do whatever.

But, certainly it means nothing good....rights are suspended. And the new owner can put you out...the first day.

Once I was in that position...the day the new owner came on the scene...he said he was keeping the house for HIS family to live in and to get out. When I went home? He changed the locks with everything still inside...including my dog...Sorry....I hope things work for you.

top topics

join