It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Oldest and Most Incredible Weapons System...Ever. The ATLATL.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+28 more 
posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
When I first started constructing this thread it was with the sole intent of bringing one of my favorite weapons to ATS with a lean towards it being the first example of a lever system. Technology at its earliest stage if you will.

But, after viewing a few current vids and seeing how enthusiasts have not only held onto this little gem through 1,000’s of years but are enhancing the weapons system (Yes that’s exactly what it is) I started to also realize that many might see how valuable this weapon truly is.

In a situation that requires stealth, when no gun powder is available, no shells, maybe no guns/rifles etc, this could make a big difference in survival situations.

Strong enough to bring down a deer or even something bigger with a skilled person, definitely enough to ward off or kill a bear (or at least make it think twice) and assuredly enough to defend against those 2 legged predators, it’s something that should be looked at and at least to gain an understanding of the mechanics if there were ever a need to create one.

www.urbandictionary.com...

Perhaps the coolest weapon ever invented by palaeolithic humans, the atlatl is the first lever, as well as weapons system and complex tool invented by ancient Man. The name comes from a combination of Nuhatl indian words of Central America meaning "Water" and "to throw" from its use as a fishing weapon, though separate examples are known from almost every continent, except Africa and Antarctica.

www.atlatl.com...

So powerful and effective was the Atlatl that scientist and scholars speculate that it, along with the overkill tactics so common to the human race, caused the extinction of the woolly mammoth in North America before the end of the ice age.

And yes, even young folks can have enough power to bring home the bacon or protect the homestead if necessary. A traditional atlatl is a long-range weapon and can readily impart to a projectile speeds of over 150 km/h (93 mph)

7 year old hunts with ATLATL:

en.wikipedia.org...

The earliest secure data concerning atlatls has come from several caves in France dating to the Upper Paleolithic, about 21,000 to 17,000 years ago. The very earliest atlatl shaft found to date is a simple antler hook dated to the Solutrean period (about 17,500 years ago), recovered from the site of Combe Sauniere.

It seems to have been introduced to America during the immigration across the Bering Land Bridge[citation needed], and despite the later introduction of the bow[citation needed], atlatl use was widespread at the time of first European contact. Complete wooden spearthrowers have been found on dry sites in the western USA, and in waterlogged environments in Florida and Washington.

As well as its practical use as a hunting weapon, it may also have had social effects. John Whittaker, an anthropologist at Grinnell College, Iowa, suggests the device was a social equaliser in that it requires skill rather than muscle power alone. Thus women and children would have been able to participate in hunting,

Fishing with your ATLATL:

How to make your ATLATL:

For those that need more detailed instructions:

So take the thread for what you want, a piece of history or an idea to keep at the ready in a SHTF scenario but to me there is no doubt that the atlatl is the greatest weapon ever created. The first example of a lever and to me a mind boggling observation as to how this was first thought of.

One man sitting alone with his spear, perhaps as long ago as 21,000 years and trying to think of how it can travel faster and further in order to advance his hunting. Wondering and knowing that if he had longer arms, it could be done...and the rest is history.

Peace

edit on 7-9-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Wow! Cool info OP! I never heard of this and now I want one! Forget taking up bow hunting this looks hard but Wow! Gotta get me one of these!

P.S. The size of the arrows reminds of the movie Avatar! Sorry I a a big Sci Fi movie lover!

Thanks again and will be looking more into this! Very cool!

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by restlessinMT
Wow! Cool info OP! I never heard of this and now I want one! Forget taking up bow hunting this looks hard but Wow! Gotta get me one of these!

P.S. The size of the arrows reminds of the movie Avatar! Sorry I a a big Sci Fi movie lover!

Thanks again and will be looking more into this! Very cool!

It truly is an amazing feat in engineering from our ancestors isn't it? The process from thought to production is what amazes me every time.

I've known about these since I was about 10 yrs old and an avid reader of Prehistory fiction but could never picture what it looked like. As I got older, I always kept my interest.

The best thing is that kids can become stronger and faster hunters with it. Easier than pulling a bow for those little muscles.

Peace

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Very nice thread. The aboriginals use/used something almost exactly the same . Great little invention and surprisingly easy to use and make.

Thanks OP

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by wewillnotcomply666
Very nice thread. The aboriginals use/used something almost exactly the same . Great little invention and surprisingly easy to use and make.

Thanks OP

They are using the same technology and many different tribes around the World are as well.

The simplest, oldest and deadliest way to get the job done with the least amount of tools. A few sticks, some string and you have a projectile flying at a target close to 100 mph.

Peace

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Which is probably the sole and root cause of many ice age mega fauna's demise.....

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by jude11

Which is probably the sole and root cause of many ice age mega fauna's demise.....

It is theorized that it is the root cause of of the demise of the Mammoth so there may be more. Dire Wolf, Sabre Tooth, Short Faced Bear, etc.

Though the ice age undoubtedly helped, this weapon most certainly would have sped up the process.

Peace

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Well done thread Jude

The atl-atl is the best primitive weapon both for speed, distance and accuracy.
With practice people can even outshoot archers with it.
It will also throw a much heavier and deadlier projectile than your typical arrow.

You can learn how to make and shoot them in 10 minutes people
Watch the videos, these are well worth any survivalists time.
(guy in the last video can't throw for &*4t)

edit on 7-9-2012 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Well done thread Jude

The atl-atl is the best primitive weapon both for speed, distance and accuracy.
With practice people can even outshoot archers with it.
It will also throw a much heavier and deadlier projectile than your typical arrow.

You can learn how to make and shoot them in 10 minutes people
Watch the videos, these are well worth any survivalists time.
(guy in the last video can't throw for &*4t)

edit on 7-9-2012 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

The key here is heavier and deadlier while also being thrown by someone lighter and smaller.

The perfect survival weapon is also silent, easily made and able to be repaired with materials readily available.

Fits all criteria.

Peace

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

In Australia it's called a woomera.

That's why the British & Aussie rocketry testbed was named Woomera.

Cheers!

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Very cool Thanks for sharing.

I think it's funny those How to make an Atlatl videos were so high tech. I'd like to see some other variations on how the ancient hunters made these in the wild without all our fancy tools.

I find it interesting that some folks think these predate modern humans. That means that these things were made and used by apes because the fossil record of pre-humans is clearly in error showing only skeletons from apes. The first real homo sapiens only shows up about 120 thousand years ago. There is nothing in between the ape skeletons and homo sapiens that even remotely suggest an evolution from ape to human. Therefore these had to be used by apes, or ape like animals that were more intelligent than normal apes, like perhaps hominoids. See this video for more info www.youtube.com...

Many animals do make and use tools. Check it out: lmgtfy.com...

Here is an especially interesting video on the subject of chimps using spears to hunt with. video.nationalgeographic.com...

I am also fascinated by the idea that different cultures around the world in ancient times came up with the same basic design and use of these weapons.

edit on 8-9-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Two legged predators? Yeah, I know, I'm scared xxxxless of Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds" just as much as you are, if not more... O.O

Maybe it was first used as a prosthetic by a person who lost a hand and got tired of not being able to participate in the hunts. Would that still work, if you made it long enough, or is the wrist joint itself a necessity in order to see any significant benefit? If its possibly a prosthetic, I could see people still wanting to be useful to their community, and I could see people noticing that it seemed to work better, and trying a handheld version only to be dumbstruck by its potential. Then they made the one handed guy a hero and crowned him king and they all went to Didneylan!!!

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Much like the sling leveraged the act of rock throwing.
Good thread.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
AWESOME!!! child kills an animal for no apparent reason!!!

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
nope...it was in Pa.....they are huge outdoorsmen....wouldn't take it without taking it home

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

i think the knife is the greatest weapon cause it allows you to make more weapons and is a weapon itself

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alda1981
AWESOME!!! child kills an animal for no apparent reason!!!

Er... No. Child kills animal to prove he has and to practice the survival skills that might help keep him and his family alive one day when the SHTF.

Every child should be trained to kill, clean and cook animals in a variety of ways. We are living in unstable uncertain times when many things can easily happen to yank our modern comforts out from under us. This kid is one up on his friends who may be reliant on having to use a gun for survival. If there is no access to guns, or ammunition this kid can still survive.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Very good op. star and flag. I think everyone should buy some sort of weapon besides a gun just in case shtf.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Very interesting, thanks for sharing! Like someone else, I was interested in seeing how these would be made with no modern technology, and I found a pretty good video (in my opinion). Thought I'd share, it looks useful!

atlatl using only stone tools

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
People dont need guns anymore !
just use a ATLATL throwing stick for more accuracy
add a scope with a laser if you want to upgrade it into a sniper rifle

SNF very interesting
even better then a bow and it is so simple to make
if there is zombies one day .. guns make noise lol
you should remember that

edit on 9/8/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join