It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds Seize Gold Coins Worth $80 Mln From Pennsylvania Family

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Couple of things wrong with this story: why wouldn't they just send one coin rather than all? Or none at all? How could they be so stupid? It seems too stupid to be true if that is something.

Also, 20 coins/ 80 million dollars? 4 million per coin? Is that even realistic? How rare could they be? And who decides? Not the government, they must value it at 20 dollars face value per coin.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I suspect the only thing we will find in Fort Knox is a printing press...the gold is long gone!

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Gold is Gold no matter what time of the Century it is. If someone found gold at the bottom of the sea, depending on the importance of the finding, it would still be worth $1700 an ounce. If someone sold a painting from Picasso back in the early 1900's it would be worth maybe $100. Now its worth $100,000,000.

I am sure OUR Government is hoarding all the Gold they possibly can right now. Just look on your local street corners and take a look at all the people holding signs "We buy Gold".

Every day in my area, especially when the Price goes up, there are many more street signs with people doing some dance trying to get people to trade in there gold.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos

Originally posted by randomtangentsrme

Originally posted by BobM88
reply to post by randomtangentsrme

Oh? Interesting...though isn't there a statute of limitations? Though now that I think of it, maybe that would only be applicable to prosecuting the grandfather for theft, if he did in fact steal them. But, after all this time, how could they know they were stolen? How were they identified as belonging to someone else?
edit on 7-9-2012 by BobM88 because: .

According to the source here, I do not see a statute of limitations. The double eagle was ordered melted down. Everyone but 2 were to be melted down. Makes it easy to see as to why they were Identified.

Also the reason why they are worth 80 million. These are apparently the last remaining 1933 double eagles that weren't destroyed, hence they are the most valuable coins in the world. Their illegality makes them even more valuable. There are psycho billionaire collectors who love to have stuff they can't even show anyone, and will pay big for things like this.

These fools made the mistake of taking them directly to the US Mint to have them valued. Once the Feds got their sticky mitts on them it was all over. If they had just kept their mouths shut and had them valued by a private coin dealer, well, we probably never would have even heard about it.

Reminds me of a time a ten year old boy found over 80 thousand gold doubloons right on the beach in Bimini. He and his dad dug them up with their bare hands, after they were exposed by a storm. Of course, it was the day before I got there. Instead of keeping their mouths shut about it, they told everyone. I think there is still an ongoing court battle between the Spanish, Bahamian, and Mexican govts about who gets to steal them from the boy. I believe the kid got to keep ONE coin. Shoulda kept his mouth shut.

Let that be a lesson to you all.

A reputable dealer might take them or might call the cops.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

These are the rare of the rare. When Uncle Sammy said 'I Want YOU(r gold)!" he really meant it back then. People went to prison for just saying bad things bout the President in those days..and I only wish I were kidding. The point is.. people followed orders or else.

Making these coins an aberration that literally shouldn't exist at all. I can easily believe millions per coin. Stupid mint mistakes can go for unbelievable sums..and those are known to exist. These? No one even knew about. Talk about the ultimate coin related discovery. lol..... Then Uncle steals it from them like a common thug through the front door.

edit on 7-9-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: typo

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by filosophia

These are the rare of the rare. When Uncle Sammy said 'I Want YOU(r gold)!" he really meant it back then. People went to prison for just saying bad things bout the President in those days..and I only wish I were kidding. The point is.. people followed orders or else.

Making these coins an aberration that literally shouldn't exist at all. I can easily believe millions per coin. Stupid mint mistakes can go for unbelievable sums..and those are known to exist. These? No one even knew about. Talk about the ultimate coin related discovery. lol..... Then Uncle steals it from them like a common thug through the front door.

edit on 7-9-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: typo

Only the Govt. can steal something that doesn't exist.

Still boggles the mind as to why the family brought them out. Too honest or stupid? Either way it proves to me that there was no criminal intent on their part.

And then they meet the Govt.

Peace

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
It is a travesty! I would have gone online and done an image search, then once I found out they were illegal golden eagles( I already knew they were illegal, but not that only 2 legal ones remained, I thought there were more. am I the only one that has ever seen the franklin mint commercials?) I would have begun looking threw the yellow pages for coin dealers, and called and asked. Until i found the dirt bag coin guy who knows the people that would be interested, for a modest fee of one coin probably.

Then soros, or murdoch etc would be my new bestest friends ever!!!!!

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
The gov is criminal in this action and probably will use them to pay down debt to china. This a valuable lesson to all you who will one day inherit your families treasures and safety deposit boxes... This is important and the gov screwed up by allowing this to become a public spectacle, they should have paid off the honest family and then made profit on the coins.
edit on 7-9-2012 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomtangentsrme
reply to post by jude11

If I remember the story correct. The grandpa stole the coins

Thief from thief mehk God laugh. -- Old Caribbean saying.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Rare because the entire supply was never circulated but some of the coins, somehow, found their way out of the Mint. Hey! It was the Great Depression. The guys working in the Mint weren't dummies! They saw the value but could not be seen as owning one of the coins for obvious reasons. Swift was a coin dealer that in essence acted as a fence for stolen property.
USA Today - 2011-07-07-double-eagle-gold-coin story

The big question is, will the government melt the coins down, thereby destroying the collectible value of the coins and leaving nothing but the value of the material? Or will they keep the coins as is, put them on display and keep the coins as valued assets owned by the US government? Worse yet, the melting of most of the coins except for a few that would most likely go on display at the Smithsonian or US Mint...Imagine the value of the surviving coins then.

If the government gets custody of them, then the coins should be melted down. period.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
So are ALL G@S coins from 1933 Illegal? When did it end?

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Whiskeychaser

If the government gets custody of them, then the coins should be melted down. period.

Agreed.

If they insist on upholding their ruling that the coins were to be turned in for melting in the first place then they should keep to the original plan and not profit all of a sudden because they didn't foresee the future value.

I still believe they should pay the family something because without them, they would have nothing.

Peace

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

The Treasury knew they existed. They investigated Israel Swift twice before 1944. In 1937 they caught him with 100 of the coins as he was on his way to see another coin dealer.

www.usatoday.com...

Should the government been able to confiscate presious metals from the people? No, but that is not what this thread is supposed to be about.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Its a joke - a sad joke!

What are the Feds going to confiscate every bottle of 1933 Domaines Barons de Rothschild Chateau Lafite Rothschild wine bottle cause Prohibition was going on at the time?

Really sad we put up with this bull#!

Peace

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by BABYBULL24
Its a joke - a sad joke!

What are the Feds going to confiscate every bottle of 1933 Domaines Barons de Rothschild Chateau Lafite Rothschild wine bottle cause Prohibition was going on at the time?

Peace

The reason they confiscated it is it was stolen from the US mint.They never belonged to the family they were stolen property.Why is it no one ever takes the time to get the whole story.Property stolen from the US mint will all ways be returned to it no mater how long its been it is US property. Its like if someone stole the constitution there is no statue of limitations once found it is returned.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonridr

Its a joke - a sad joke!

Peace

The reason they confiscated it is it was stolen from the US mint.They never belonged to the family they were stolen property.Why is it no one ever takes the time to get the whole story.Property stolen from the US mint will all ways be returned to it no mater how long its been it is US property. Its like if someone stole the constitution there is no statue of limitations once found it is returned.

Take it easy J. Edgar Hoover - your dress is ready.

Peace

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whiskeychaser

The big question is, will the government melt the coins down, thereby destroying the collectible value of the coins and leaving nothing but the value of the material? Or will they keep the coins as is, put them on display and keep the coins as valued assets owned by the US government?

They can't melt the coins. That would be destruction of an important historical artifact. So, they will probably put them in a museum somewhere on display to the public.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofswords

It can happen tomorrow again, bull# or not, comply or get into prison. In any case I think the key words are "hording" and "gold currency" it was not all the gold. In any case it can happen again and not only on the US...

edit on 7-9-2012 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonridr

Its a joke - a sad joke!

Peace

It hasn't been proven that they were stolen. How can you prove something when everyone is dead!? We will see what the appeal brings...at the very least, the coins should be sold and they get half, there is a precedent set for this.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Greed..

It's pathetic.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join