It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gays have the right to marry and always have

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by GreatOwl

don't care for the word "comrade" and never have.
tooo militant for me.
Ms or ma'am works just fine ... single or not is only your business if i make it so.

personally, i don't see what the word "sexual" has to do with any descriptive of a human.
of course we're sexual, we were built that way

what's wrong with "my parents", "this couple", "that couple" or "my friends", what does their gender have to do with a darn thing ?

and WHY would we need a new word, anyway ??
just to take a page out of the commie playbook ??
thanks but no thanks

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

Let us go the next logical step with your assessment.

Let's ban inter-racial marriages. Blacks have the same right as whites: To marry in their own race.

Let's ban disproportionate wealth marriages. Poor people have the same right to marry as the rich, as long as they marry another poor person.

Let's ban inter-religious marriages. Muslims have the same right to marry as everyone else, as long as they marry in their own religion.

You see how this silly argument from folks against gay marriage is? "They have the same rights as everyone else. They can marry anyone they want, just not of the same sex."

It would take a lot of mental gymnastics to believe that load.

Or perhaps a lack thereof.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Yeah I did too
usmarriagelaws.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Why ask me? I have not voiced any opinion one way or the other.

Oh and I find you slightly patronizing. I am 55 years old. Thank you very much.
edit on 8-9-2012 by karen61057 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057
reply to post by Honor93

Why ask me? I have not voiced any opinion one way or the other.
exactly why i asked ... cause you haven't voiced an opinion in this thread.

Oh and I find you slightly patronizing.
that's all well and good, i find you rather belittling and arrogant but to each their own, right ?

I am 55 years old. Thank you very much.
good for you, glad to hear you've made it that far

a few weeks back, we celebrated a friend's 55th at McCurdy's comedy club ... saw the "Midnight Swinger" and highly recommend the show to anyone who gets the opportunity.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I've got an idea: how about we all agree to get the state out of governing and regulating our personal relationships altogether.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

On a serious note, it'll die out. The ignorance always does, for the most part. Hopefully. Maybe. We have work to do.

I'm always a bit puzzled by people who make this argument. People with views similar to the OPs have been prevalent for most of history, despite intense persecution. Also, people with fundamentalist views tend to outbreed their competition. I kinda think that, in the end, the fundamentalists will win. It's merely a matter of time.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by StalkerSolent

On a serious note, it'll die out. The ignorance always does, for the most part. Hopefully. Maybe. We have work to do.

I'm always a bit puzzled by people who make this argument. People with views similar to the OPs have been prevalent for most of history, despite intense persecution. Also, people with fundamentalist views tend to outbreed their competition. I kinda think that, in the end, the fundamentalists will win. It's merely a matter of time.

I don't see that at all. Slavery, for example was an acceptable practice worldwide, for thousands of years. People in favor of slavery were prevalent for most of our recorded history. And yet, slavery has become unacceptable in our day and time. I believe the same thing will happen with gay rights. Gays have been persecuted and downtrodden for most of our history, but I see the tide turning, albeit slowly. I believe in the next couple of generations, gay rights will be accepted as common place, and our children's children (or our children's grandchildren) will only learn about gay prejudice in history books.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

I will ignore the God aspect as that's on you. Reinventing the wheel though? Have you been awake at all in your life time? I mean no offese but Gays and Lesbians have been around for as long as history has been recorded.

It's a whole new world where people no longer hide in there closets and want to be transparent and open about who they are and to be treated equally.

I am all for the sanctity of marriage. But I am for the sanctity of equality as well. The sanctity of marriage should be preserved. But guess what, marriage can no longer be defined as a commitment between a man and a woman and that's okay.

I don't feel sorry for anyone because of there stance on this issue no matter which side there stance falls upon. Equal treatment in a civilized society should be expected. No favoritism and no bigotry and hate should be tolerated at all. All people should be recognized with the same rights. No more and no less.

It's so hard for me to see how people turn on each other over something as simple as basic tolerance and respect for one another.

The family unit has also been redefined as well. If a woman wants to go to a sperm bank and select a genetic partner without ever knowing them then they are allowed, so why can't gay men and lesbian women be entitled to use al of the same options available to have a family as straight men and women?

This is my problem with society right now. The words Gay, Straight, Lebian, Trans-sexual and etc. etc.

What happened to just being a good old fashioned human being and respecting one another? We spend so much time labeling each other and pursuing these anti-social agendas.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Labrynth2012

Uhhh racial baiting? If you see it as a racial bait then that shows you where your mind is at. The whole point was civil rights.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Did you read the constitution?

It says equal protection under the law, marriage licenses are law and granted to you by the state.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Labrynth2012

Originally posted by Tahnya86
There where actualy two men in the biblical ages who where married, they where respected and knowns as husbands, they went seprate ways to fight wars or something to that effect and sadly where killed by enimies. so this garbage saying its against the bible is only a lie and manipulation of homophobic individuals that have campaigned till today to repress others just because they are not gay.

Really ?

Look this up in YOUR bible if you have one.

The Book of Leviticus, Chapter 18, verse 22 .....
Which says:

American Standard Version - 22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

Yeah yeah yeah, way to cherry pick from your Buy-bull. Sorry I'm not buying it. In fact, I'm REALLY F%$#ing tired of the inane BS postings from people like YOU & the OP who seem to have all the faculty reasoning of a trusting 5 year old child. GROW THE F%$# UP!!!

The following is an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by a east coast resident, which was posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as informative and it could be a perfect reply to your illogical nonsense, so I will do so here,.. where it reads Dr. Laura, just imagine it's addressed to you:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them:

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15:19- 24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted fan,
############

end quote

Hypocrite much?

You see, if you really are SOooo holier than thou, I would suggest you look at this quick check list & make sure you've never eaten bacon or shrimp/lobster OR (if you were a man) hung out with a woman while she's been on her period.

Cuz, ya know, that'd mean you're gonna roast forever in a burning pit of Hellishness, mainly because God gave you free will & then didn't like what you did with it. Because, jeez, ya know,.. it's an abomination n' stuff, it says right there - in YOUR good book.

Jesus EFFING Christ people, what kind of distraction is this nonsense?

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Miri08

If I recall, most of those studies were dismissed because they were comparing the homosexually raised kids with kids who were raised with a single-parent family, rather than a mother and father.

Different species are not the same as humans. It's called lust. Who's to say that certain animals can even tell the difference between a male and a female? They want sex, it's their nature. It's not because they particularly want an animal of the same sex, they simply are not paying attention when they're caught up in their lust. I had a lot of dogs like that, who were in the house all the time and who were never fixed. Every time they saw another dog, male or female, they went at it, simply because they were deprived.

The entire concept of marriage is based around a Christian/Jewish tradition, and comes from the Bible, just like the idea that gayness is an abomination. The thought of gays getting married is sort of a contradiction in itself.

By f@#$ing someone in the ass, you can't create a baby. Your butt hole is used for excreting waste, not to transport sperm and house a baby. Therefore, it is NOT natural.

Heterosexual marriage and sex, on the other hand, is nature's intention, and God's intention. The purpose of sex is to procreate, and that's how it's done.

You can argue this from religion to science, but the fact remains. Gay marriage was never intended to happen, and gay sex is not natural. Period.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

en.wikipedia.org...

Although the institution of marriage pre-dates reliable recorded history, many cultures have legends concerning the origins of marriage.

Marriage did NOT start with Christianity. Christianity has their own definition of marriage but Christianity did not INVENT marriage.

Different species are not the same as humans? This is correct, all species are different. Yet we are in fact all animals. I enjoyed the bit where you mentioned "They want sex, it's in their nature." Last I knew humans wanted sex too. You could argue that gay sex (I decided not to use your eloquent description) doesn't produce offspring. I could argue that some Hetero couples don't produce offspring. I could also argue that the continuation of the species has been doing just fine since Modern Man first came around, Homosexuals and all.

I sure am glad to know that YOU know what was intended to happen. I don't know what is intended to happen, I don't hold myself an authority on life. I do know that underneath the words gay, straight, black, white, Christian, Muslim, American, African and so on that there lies two words - Those being HUMAN and BEING.

EDIT: I should also add that I have no problem with Christianity, I was raised in a Christian household and I know many Christians who are wonderful people. I believe in tolerance. I do have a problem with Christianity and Christian ideals being pushed on people though. If you are Christian, good for you but try to recognize that your truth is not necessarily everyone's truth. Your idea of marriage can certainly be an act before god between a man and a woman but that does not need to be everyone's idea of marriage. Marriage can be a religious contract for some but it is a legal contract for all.

edit on 9-9-2012 by Miri08 because: add on

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

What has marriage got to do with Family???

My grandparents were not married.

My parents were not married.

I am not married.

My 2 boys may or may not get married.

Last time I looked, we were a family
edit on 9/9/12 by Horza because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Who the hell cares...Do what they want to do. I just don't like it flaunted in my face all the time. It's an aberrant lifestyle and not fair to the children involved.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

Well, there is truth to that. I think slavery is more widespread and acceptable than most of us imagine. I also think that, unlike slavery, marriage is a centerpiece of many fundamentalist religions. Fundamentalist Christianity does not need or even particularly want slavery, but considers homosexuality a sin and marriage sacred. I think the same is true for Islam; although from what I know of it, it has instructions concerning slavery, slavery is not as integral to its belief system.

In other words, I think Christianity and Islam and other more fundamentalist religions can accept (and have accepted) doctrinally the abscence of slavery as an institution, but they consider marriage, as they understand it, fundamental to the way they view the world-unlike slavery. In their eyes, slavery is a human institution; marriage a Divine one.

Ironically, it's more fundamentalist versions of religions like Islam and Christianty that tend to condemn practices like abortion. I'm seeing this paying off in the long run, as homosexuals and more "progressive" minded individuals are more likely to abort their children, if they have them at all. I'm sure Darwin would make some interesting observations were he here today.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

I read a thread from you earlier explaining the mental illnesses/emotional problems you and your friend have and how you wanted to help your friend, I felt really bad for you and wondered what advice I could give that would help you, then I see on another thread you attacking gays and coming out with disgusting vile crap just to have a go at a group that doesn't fit your idea of the norm. Like suicidal bi polar people don't fit other people s norms, you should know better.

Perhaps a big part of your other problems stem from the fact you just can't keep your nose out of other peoples business and think that you own the moral high ground, Judge not lest.... And all that.

dalek pic suits the comment. In fact rereading it it works gorgeous if you read it in dalek caans voice :0)

edit on 9-9-2012 by glassspider because: Dalek comment

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by StalkerSolent
reply to post by kaylaluv

Well, there is truth to that. I think slavery is more widespread and acceptable than most of us imagine. I also think that, unlike slavery, marriage is a centerpiece of many fundamentalist religions. Fundamentalist Christianity does not need or even particularly want slavery, but considers homosexuality a sin and marriage sacred. I think the same is true for Islam; although from what I know of it, it has instructions concerning slavery, slavery is not as integral to its belief system.

In other words, I think Christianity and Islam and other more fundamentalist religions can accept (and have accepted) doctrinally the abscence of slavery as an institution, but they consider marriage, as they understand it, fundamental to the way they view the world-unlike slavery. In their eyes, slavery is a human institution; marriage a Divine one.

Ironically, it's more fundamentalist versions of religions like Islam and Christianty that tend to condemn practices like abortion. I'm seeing this paying off in the long run, as homosexuals and more "progressive" minded individuals are more likely to abort their children, if they have them at all. I'm sure Darwin would make some interesting observations were he here today.

I think fundamentalist Christians are a dying breed. The new generation of Christians are more moderate and tolerant in their beliefs. Future generations will be even more moderate. For example, my grandparents were uneducated country folk, and were "old school" fundamentalist Christians - and very close-minded as a result. My mother, even though she was raised by these fundamentalists, did not follow that close-minded ideology once she grew up and got out into the world. I am even more tolerant than my mother was, and do not consider myself a religious person at all. It does have to do with education and exposure to the real world. Those kids who are not highly educated, and grew up in the same small town as their parents, tend to more closely follow their parents' ideology. Most people do tend to move away from their parents however, so you will only see small pockets of multi-generational fundamentalists.

Opinion polls over the years are showing us that the current generation is much more accepting of gays and gay marriage than previous generations were. While the polls may be fairly evenly divided today, polls from 20-30 years ago were definitely overwhelmingly against gays and gay unions. The times, they are definitely changing.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

I think fundamentalist Christians are a dying breed. The new generation of Christians are more moderate and tolerant in their beliefs. Future generations will be even more moderate. For example, my grandparents were uneducated country folk, and were "old school" fundamentalist Christians - and very close-minded as a result. My mother, even though she was raised by these fundamentalists, did not follow that close-minded ideology once she grew up and got out into the world. I am even more tolerant than my mother was, and do not consider myself a religious person at all. It does have to do with education and exposure to the real world. Those kids who are not highly educated, and grew up in the same small town as their parents, tend to more closely follow their parents' ideology. Most people do tend to move away from their parents however, so you will only see small pockets of multi-generational fundamentalists.

Opinion polls over the years are showing us that the current generation is much more accepting of gays and gay marriage than previous generations were. While the polls may be fairly evenly divided today, polls from 20-30 years ago were definitely overwhelmingly against gays and gay unions. The times, they are definitely changing.

Perhaps we'd better select a word other than tolerant to use here; it seems to me that most Christians tolerate homosexuals, they just don't agree with their lifestyle. Methinks that is disagreement, but not intolerance. Intolerance is what Iran does to homosexuals.

Now, on to the good stuff!
Let's not underestimate the capability of fundamentalist Christianity (we seem to have completely dropped Islam from this discussion, which is a pity, I think) to survive and endure. Remember, Christians worldwide have survived some of the most rigorous persecution of all time--in fact, they thrive under persecution. (I think probably only the Jews can claim more long-term focused persecution than Christians.) Both Jewish and Christian core doctrine remain fundamentally unchanged. I think you're looking at this from a short-term, Western perspective. I'm looking at the long-term, worldwide perspective.

And incidentally, I don't think that Christianity is incompatible with the real world. It has been for thousands of years; today is no different. We have shinier toys and bloodier wars, but people haven't changed.

There's an H.P. Lovecraft quote that is in someone's signature here on ATS: "some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age.” The current trend in the West seems to be towards greater scientific advancement, atheism, and relativism (would you agree with me on that? I'm probably more adept at understanding history than I am grasping current trends.) If this is the case, I think that the sheer undesirability of atheism (for most people), and the philosophical implications of such a position, may shift belief back towards more traditional religions, even without a "revelation" that would send us all fleeing to a new Dark Age.

All this to say, Christianity's not going anywhere. I'm pretty sure Judaism and Islam are here for the foreseeable future as well.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join