It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unemployed? Hate Your Crummy Job? Start Producing!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Also: for cash? get in touch with companies that deal with closeouts and whatnot. Small vendors can make money that way.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
very good thread
..and i think this subject is in alot of peoples minds...i have skills that could be used in 'bartering', but that said...we still live in a society that revolves around money...how does one pay thier rent or cell phone, gas the vehicle or internet connecting to stay in touch with ATS?
alot of these ideas seem to revovle around making 'trinkets' or 'nick-nack' items that dont really serve a purpose. can you make a couch for me? or a bed? how about a refrigerator? stove? washing machine? what would acept in payment and how much would it cost one to make or build 'things'?
i know people who can service my car or repair something but how do i get that something to be serviced or repaired?...unfourtunatly it is with money. are we willing to barter services for tangible goods?... we seem to spend most of our time, energy and resources on working for the corporate or whatever. the powers that be have made it difficult to live without money...and most of the individuals talents are wasted on the day to day effort to live.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by clearmind

Actually, I'm attempting to get into making solar panels, soon. Wish me luck.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eidolon23

Originally posted by Destinyone

That's fantastic, Des. You just outlined a direct path to small-scale success, and I'm very grateful. It's funny, but in one of the replies above, I almost said "personal care products" instead of "Adirondack chair".

I live in Vermont, and we have a vibrant network of local markets as well as a thriving trade web. It's a workable model that makes for happier people and better, more resilient communities.

edit on 7-9-2012 by Eidolon23 because: (no reason given)

I have'nt contributed much to ATSNN in a long time but your post caught my attention. Like you, I do live in the same state in the central parts of the Green Mountains and live real close to a food co-op. A bit expensive but they do offer some good food, if not all. I do see some of the resilience and again, I moved here from the big city life (long story). However, I think to succeed in the work field, one has to adapt to new changes. Although, freelancing or independent contractor work has been growing as of late and I'm part of that demographic in the creative industry. It's not easy but one has to figure out a way to target a certain market to maintain a living. The challenge is still there but will take time to overcome.

Good thread, though!

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Eidolon23

Interesting thread, all very good points.

Second.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Pissing contests, its a bit overrated but nothing is wasted you know.

But still cant you two just agree that your both right, when its all said and done you can not have a positive without a negative. If you do not believe me, just wait around and you shall see, but if you want the process could be seeded up by way of magic.

Anyways! don't listen to me I am a crazy person, but I think your right, he is right, she is right, they are right, were all right, everything is going right. But if we take enough right turns we will eventually end up just going in circles and right back were we started. And so for every right turn there is a left, just like for every positive there is a negative, and just like for every right there is a wrong. But that to is just right as it should be.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I truly wish people would spend more time producing their own things, like food if growing space is available. Many people are perfectly capable of producing other things as well if they only spent the time to learn, it is in my opinion superior to paying somebody else. But when you're 5'9" tall and crimp the scale at 250lbs I guess you'd rather stay in your Lay-z-Boy.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Great thread

Preaching to the converted in my case, time to do my own thing has always been more important to me than money.

It has become very hard for many people to accept delayed gratification, our programming has been set to receive instant rewards. Advertising scratches at that constantly. It is what we have come to expect, and to some extent, need. We want what we want now, we don't want to spend days, weeks or months creating it or waiting for it. Everything is about instant gratification. There is no enjoyment in anticipation and preparation. Let alone, in a job well done. Which is very sad, for those people, when they can't do what they want to do, and what gives them satisfaction and, a sense of reward.

Arts and crafts are consistently shown to be beneficial as a therapy solution in a wide range of mental health and behaviour modification settings. Creating, and working with our hands, rewards us at a much deeper level. It is what we evolved to do, and it brings unity to our thought and physical processes. Gardening is very much the same, caring for and nurturing plants, is a creative process that invests time for the delayed reward of that effort. We would likely be a lot more happier if we spent a little more time pottering around with various projects, rather than creating a list of wants for when we have enough money to go shopping. People waste far too much time worrying about what they haven't got yet, and not enough enjoying the benefits and making the most of what they have got.

But, you can't educate pork

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Got a rake or maybe a lawnmower? Plenty of older people on fixed incomes need help with yard work but can't pay for it. Solution? Barter for something they have (old folks have plenty of stuff, some of it quite valuable)
I ran a trap line as a kid, sold the pelts, mowed yards and did any kind of nasty job nobody else wanted to do. After working regular jobs a few years I decided that wasn't the path for me so I took up engraving and supported my family doing that for 25 years. Most rewarding thing I've ever done as I despise working for someone else.
Point is there is something all of us can do, even if you have no skills you can learn them especially with all the information available on the web.
Sitting on your ass waiting for someone to bring you a job will get you nowhere fast.
Great thread.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I went to the store the other day and saw an ad hand written on notebook paper. It read:

"Young man seeking jobs"

"I am a hard worker who is looking for work. I am able to do the following"

And the list was incredibly long of all of these odd jobs he could do. Anything from horse care, cleaning out barns, chicken coops, mowing lawns, fixing broken appliances, to running errands. It made me smile as I read it. Here is a man aged 16, who is not going to sit back and cry baby his way through life and lay up in his room all day playing video games and downloading apps on his iphone while his parents get billed for it. It really starts in the home and with the parents.

Anyway, I know a lot of people who are tackling the unemployment issues by getting up and doing something about it. Get busy living, or get busy dying.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by icanhaz

Exactly... One also needs to learn business....

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Toterified..... I have to find a way to work this word into some conversation.

The classic ways of making money are not well supported in modern societies, though I did get to see some examples of it on a recent trip.

In many places in the US where there is low employment, there is also little access to basic necessities in their area. Increased concern about crime makes fewer people want to engage in filling those niches.

So the street vendor or the small store of fresh local vegetables in your area isn't there. That people don't eat fresh vegetables makes this niche less likely to get off the ground. Then there is this idea that if you are to be successful it cant' just be that you make a nice little living, it isn't a REAL idea unless you can make your idea into a multinational success of franchises.

You aren't going to eat local and fresh from a small fruit and vegetable seller if it isn't available. It is not going to be available if no one eats it. If the seller doesn't find the risk worth their time, they aren't going to even bother to set it up.

While there are some programs to fill this niche in some areas, they really just aren't as effective as the family with the tiny store full of veggies.

I think what I'm pointing out here is that the packaged-everything lifestyle is good for stocks, and not necessarily good for life. Warren Buffet your community - think padding it with necessities that people need and the things people need to transport it and keep risk down, and you'll be successful.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by denver22
I started off just going round knocking peoples doors asking if they needed the gardening done
windows washed things fixed etc.. Come on guys, get off your knees, pull yourself away from
Your armchair and xbox and get out and earn!

Couldn't agree more: What I hear are mostly Just"excuses": I.E.
" Start a business? It's just not realistic!"
Do you think Steve Jobs demanded $60K to come out of his "garage tinkering" in the first 60 days? No they did it for the love of it. Hewlet-Packard was also a garage borne company.

We/You live in the most amazing time in the history of Mankinds creativity!!.

The barriers to admission are all falling by the way side. Used to be: to be a"musician", you had to convince a record company executive to record you and distribute your music!

Today: a laptop and the internet!!!! Cheap enough to be Basically free worldwide exposureand distribution!. Nobody can tell you : "No I'm sorry; We're just not interested" anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nor can anybody "fire" you then; but you!

We are a nation with a heritage of staunchly individualistic slightly cranky: farmers; tinsmiths; silversmiths; brewers; sail makers and shipbuilders & trappers.
We don't all belong to the Government! We chafe under the yoke of authority of all kinds..Especially if they are trying to buy us out of our liberties.

13yearolds are buying books ;and teaching themselves to code I phone apps! Digital video and editing Equipment is within the financial reach of the common man.

Diector/producer Robert Rodriguez(Owner of "Troublemaker studios" : "Sin city";' "Machete"; El mariachi"&"Grindhouse" films)
Writes, shoots.scores and edits his own( "admittedly "b movie") films.I recommend his book "rebel without a crew"!

"the hollywood action movie"act of valor" was shot on a canon 5dmkII DSLR!
the newest version(the5dmkIII) body) is only$3500!

Vincent Laforet is credited with spurring this creative surge in low cost filmaking:
EnjoyHis "reverie"(shotwith a Canon 5dmkII dslr):

And

Enjoy his short film "mobius" below: (shot with a new (more expensive but affordable $20k) canon C300
cinema camera
Avery cool short:

There are no longer any excuses! Unless the govt is allowed to tax entrepreneurs out of this country.

edit on 9-9-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
More from the philosophy of my entrepreneurial Hero Director/Producer Robert Rodriguez
his"10 minute film school" circa1993!
Alot of What he says applies to any creative entrepreneurial venture and has become1,000x more true with advances in technology since1993.

I give you director Robert Rodriguez (after the el mariachi and"dusk to dawn" films.)

Be creative!

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

I tried to stop myself on this one but I couldn't. I am not trying to derail, but this, I feel, is an important observation or add-on to the main idea.

Why are we having this discussion? I fully support the OP but think it is one of those 'please remember to breathe' reminders.

A result of having specialized 'jobs' is little more than a furtherance of putting the average Joe on the hook. It keeps him dependent on things outside his control. He ends up spending more money than he needs to. The sad part is two fold.

1. Most people do not see it.

2. It is easy to mitigate.

I will not waste time on the first. I have no answer.

The second is clearer to me. I live in an urban area yet still grow all my own vegetables in a very small backyard. As far as I can tell, I am the only one in my neighborhood doing so. If everyone did this, they could easily supplement their pantry.

My truck is 12 years old with a zillion miles on it. I do most of my own work on it and keep it in good shape. I have no car payment. I have no 'toys'. No boat, no ATV's, etc. I do not take vacations. I do not drink or smoke as I see that as a waste of money among other things.

I still have a long way to go before I get to where I am comfortable with my 'dependency' on the 'system'. I realize I can never be completely free of it but the hold will be a lot less. My point is, the only power TPTB have over me is that which is given to them. And the strength of that control is proportional to what I do or do not do myself.

But doing things myself, whether it is canning or welding or vehicle repair, takes work and education. It is a group effort with my family. They have to be on board too.

I know in my heart all this does nothing to eliminate disaster. It will come in whatever shape or size fate sends my way. I just think it will take a lot more to make me feel it. It will take a lot more to sink my canoe. At least that is the plan

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Even though the weather report was not favorable, yesterday at the farmer's market went well. One thing I noticed. A lot of people were buying Christmas gifts from me, and other hand crafters yesterday. I decided to ask people who said they were shopping for gifts, why they were buying my hand made soaps and other goodies, as gifts. They said this year, because of tighter budgets, they are trying to buy all hand made items for family and friends. That there is more meaning in them, and less expensive in the long run. I'm seeing a trend here folks. If you can make something with your creative ideas, you can sell it. The market is opening more for those of us who make things.

If you can get it together, remember, it's very important your packaging. If you can do attractive, unique, inexpensive packaging, that is half your selling of your product. An old plastic Walmart bag just don't cut it. The place I purchase my colored tissue and bags from is one of the least expensive I could find, with a huge selection, fast shipping.

www.nashvillewraps.com Folks, when they are shopping want the complete ball of wax, you can give it to them and they remember you, and come back for more. If you are selling hand painted rocks, complete the shopping experience for your customer, with the finished packaging. Drop that painted rock in a gourmet candy, or pastry box, tied with a piece of raffia...viola, instant perfect girt. Charge extra to cover packaging costs.

Gotta go hook up the trailer, am trading some of my products with a neighbor, for a 4X4 round bale of hay for my goats in the morning. If I can do it...so can you!

Des

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
This is such a good thread I wanted to bump it and give some encouragement.

It all starts with a positive attitude IMO. The pessimist whines about his poor situation as if it is not his fault and never moves forward!

You don't become successful by being a pessimist you do that by knowing your business/goal better then anyone else and ignoring the naysayers and moving forward.. That doesn't mean you ignore factual problems you asses them find solutions and plot a course through them to success!

The biggest key is to get started! People tend to analyze things to death and never really get started and they mask their fear using this as an excuse.

www.youtube.com...

edit on 17-9-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-9-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

If the video is from 1993, then that is not after the From Dusk till Dawn films, that is before.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Thanks for the thread bump, hawkiye. This past weekend at the farmer's market where I sell my hand crafted goods, I saw another aspect of what people are looking for coming into play. I'm sure the political climate has made people frustrated and they are expressing it with a new theme in using their purchasing dollars.

Buy American. People are being very vocal in wanting to buy on stuff made in America. There was a new vendor who showed up this past Sat. All pre-made gift baskets in cello bags, for medium prices. Their booth was across from mine, where I sell my hand made goats milk soaps and lotions....they didn't sell a single gift basket all day. They came over to check out what I was selling, because their baskets contained soaps and personal care products too. They wanted to see my pricing and packaging, asked me how come I was doing a brisk selling business, while they were not.

A couple of customers at my booth, who had already been to their booth, heard them asking me, and piped up...."her goods are made in America, your goods are all cheap imported things". I was slightly embarrassed by my customer's response to the new vendor...but, it is true. So, I decided to poll a few customers about their attitude of buying made in America only products.

Yep, pretty strong views I got back from people. They are angry over politics, and feel this is one way they can support their own Country.

What I'm getting around to, even if you are only making things that can probably be purchased from some other place cheaper, but they are imported from China, people are looking to buy made in America, even if it may cost a bit more.

Don't let similar things imported from other countries, stop you from at least trying to produce your own things. Make a little sign to put on your table, or goods, that proudly says...*Made in America, by an American*.

Des

edit on 17-9-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
They are angry over politics, and feel this is one way they can support their own Country.

I like this. And it works globally, wherever you are. The more you buy locally, the more you are helping each other out. Same goes for services, instead of looking up a service provider in the Yellow Pages or telephone directory, those guys are doing well anyway if they can afford the advertising rates, look around and source services and products in your own neighbourhood. Support your community, the person doing the hard yakker, not people in suits and middle men. Sure you might pay a little bit more, but at least you know that that money is going to those that have earnt the reward for their labour or creativity.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join