It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Being a good or bad person is not natural

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
It is a choice.
You choose to be a good person.
Why? Because you've seen what happens to people who chose to be bad.

Any thoughts? I just want to initiate the thread and allow the conversation to take off.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
Because you've seen what happens to people who chose to be bad.

I could get away with being bad. It's just that being bad doesn't make me feel good. Being good does.

With a little bit of naughty tossed in.

edit on 7-9-2012 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule

Because you've seen what happens to people who chose to be bad.

I could get away with being bad. It's just that being bad doesn't make me feel good. Being good does.

With a little bit of naughty tossed in.

edit on 7-9-2012 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

That's due to the environment you've found yourself in. Being good had it's rewards, externally and personally.

For someone in a different environment, they could feel good by being bad. Different reward system etc..

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Who decides what's "good" and what's "bad"....

That's the part that is unnatural...

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
No I disagree that you 'choose'

I think you just do what 'feels' right to you, some people will have dark desires they choose to surpress, some will choose to be nice to manipulate people.

But if your just being completely natural and remove all boundaries then you would do what feels right to you.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

It is a choice.
You choose to be a good person.
Why? Because you've seen what happens to people who chose to be bad.

Any thoughts? I just want to initiate the thread and allow the conversation to take off.

Or, sometimes people are bad because they see what happens to people who chose to be good....

1937 Germany, "Young Man if you don't join the Hitler youth our family will have to go into hiding."

Somalia, "Young boy either you become a pirate rapist or we'll kill you."

I think a persons actions are mostly dictated by circumstance with a bit of genetic predisposition sprinkled in.

Any of us could be a killer or a saint if life broke a certain way.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Good and bad are relative concepts, or delusions if you want.

I don't think of things in a good or bad light.
I judge things in a cost/benefit analysis.

Ex: Does the cost out weigh the benefit? Yes, then I won't do it.
Is this illegal?, Can I get away with it? Who will find out? Is it socially acceptable? If not can I hide it?

There is not black and white, just many shades of grey.

Except ketchup on steak, that is just not done.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

That's due to the environment you've found yourself in.

No it isn't. On the other hand you think its so because of the environment you've found yourself in.

Being good had it's rewards, externally and personally.

So does being bad.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I think, as least in my experience and view, one is naturally born with certain dispositions. It's shocking how the "sign" traits one is born under can relate to that person, and I think genetics have some sway as well.

That said, I think that partially can add to the way a person grows up, as well as their parents and environment. The saying "Product of your environment" rings true in 90% of people.

It's too complicated to state that one is born good or bad, because they are not. It's a number of factors.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn

Is this illegal?, Can I get away with it? Who will find out? Is it socially acceptable? If not can I hide it?

That's a parasitic way to think. It's the very way your masters think. Do you enjoy living in this style of society? One simply knows good from bad threw experience. And when one matures consciously he knows that there is no such thing as cost or benefit. There is just only choosing to do what is right and good for all humanity leaving himself last in the judgment.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by talkinghands

That's a parasitic way to think. It's the very way your masters think. Do you enjoy living in this style of society? One simply knows good from bad threw experience. And when one matures consciously he knows that there is no such thing as cost or benefit. There is just only choosing to do what is right and good for all humanity leaving himself last in the judgment.

I categorically disagree with your entire post.

1. There is nothing parasitic about the way I think. My mind is completely independent, I have no use for other human beings. I can go days at a time without speaking to another person. I have no master but myself. If you are referring to "TPTB" It's the reason they are running the show. And not you.

2. I am content with my lifestyle. Society?, No. I despise society. But it will destroy it's self sooner or later, so I am not very concerned.

3. When one matures consciously they attain a broad enough perspective to realize that in the grand scheme of things, we are all less than nothing. We live on a speck of dust floating through space. What we want is irrelevant. Therefore the only logical thing to be concerned about is what I want. Your constructs of good and evil are just a coping mechanism to help your mind avoid the fact that your existence is meaningless.

But I give you a star for good intentions. Welcome to ATS.
edit on 7-9-2012 by watchitburn because: Because I choose to.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Isn't everything that goes on in the universe fairly natural?

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

Now, mr. philosopher, that is just not good philosophy!

You've just totally destroyed all qualitative perimeters of the word "natural". It now means nothing... or everything.

I think we need a re-establishing of the definition now!

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by talkinghands

I categorically disagree with your entire post.

1. There is nothing parasitic about the way I think. My mind is completely independent, I have no use for other human beings. I can go days at a time without speaking to another person. I have no master but myself. If you are referring to "TPTB" It's the reason they are running the show. And not you.

2. I am content with my lifestyle. Society?, No. I despise society. But it will destroy it's self sooner or later, so I am not very concerned.

3. When one matures consciously they attain a broad enough perspective to realize that in the grand scheme of things, we are all less than nothing. We live on a speck of dust floating through space. What we want is irrelevant. Therefore the only logical thing to be concerned about is what I want. Your constructs of good and evil are just a coping mechanism to help your mind avoid the fact that your existence is meaningless.

But I give you a star for good intentions. Welcome to ATS.
edit on 7-9-2012 by watchitburn because: Because I choose to.

Well I'm sorry you are going threw a tough time. Things will get better some day if you try and let them. It takes as much energy to be negative as it does to be positive. Astrotheology. may this subject put your heart at ease brother.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by openlocks

You've just totally destroyed all qualitative perimeters of the word "natural". It now means nothing... or everything.

What do you suggest?

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by talkinghands

I'm not negative at all.

I am realistic. I just do not delude myself about the nature of our existence.

I even have a woman that I love more than the whole of all that has ever been. I would lay waste to all of the known universe before I allowed her to be hurt. But I am aware of our nature.

So my views stand as they are.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   

I'm not negative at all.

I am realistic. I just do not delude myself about the nature of our existence.

I even have a woman that I love more than the whole of all that has ever been. I would lay waste to all of the known universe before I allowed her to be hurt. But I am aware of our nature.

So my views stand as they arSo tell me how my out of body delusions differ from your knowledge? Your obviously an atheist. am I correct? and secondly my friend ask yourself where you are getting your knowledge from? e.

So tell me how my out of body delusions differ from your knowledge? Your obviously an atheist. am I correct? and secondly my friend ask yourself where you are getting your knowledge from?
edit on 7-9-2012 by talkinghands because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

I don't consider myself an atheist. I prefer Anti-theist. I do not know if there is a god. And I do not care. It is irrelevant. Every thing is screwed up anyway.

Whether or not a god exists is not relevant. We are all that we can use as context. And a poor context we make.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   

I don't consider myself an atheist. I prefer Anti-theist. I do not know if there is a god. And I do not care. It is irrelevant. Every thing is screwed up anyway.

Whether or not a god exists is not relevant. We are all that we can use as context. And a poor context we make.

And that's fine. Just don't let it bring you down brotha man. You have a lot to be happy about.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope

Originally posted by openlocks

What do you suggest?

How about just staying true to the standard definition?

nat·u·ral   [nach-er-uhl, nach-ruhl] adjective
1. existing in or formed by nature ( opposed to artificial): a natural bridge.

ar·ti·fi·cial   [ahr-tuh-fish-uhl] adjective
1. made by human skill; produced by humans ( opposed to natural): artificial flowers.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join