It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's Revoke The Rights and Protections Awarded to Heterosexual Married Couples

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
By using the same reasoning as the OP, all hate legislation should be repealed because it does not apply to the most despised demographic in our modern times. Of course I speak of white, christian, heterosexual males.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SophieTish

That cognitive dissonance is showing again. "At least we don't murder gays, go try to live there then you'll appreciate it here more", sure a dog that gets beaten 5 times a day appreciates owners that only beat it 4 times a day. Is this the best you can do? The most humanity you can muster?

I have a better idea, why don't you go live 'there', where the law better reflects your beliefs? Think how good it will feel to be one of the ones throwing a stone at another human being. You'll love it! This country is supposed to be about Liberty and Freedom that doesn't sound much to your liking.

As far as Civil Unions go, in very few States do they grant the same rights and privileges as Marriage.
edit on 9-9-2012 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
In the interest of equality and respect to religious beliefs, I think we should level the playing field. If in 'the Land of the Free' we cannot meet consensus to federally recognize Gay Marriage or Same Sex Unions then we should strike the balance with NO federally recognized marriages or unions. That is fair, right?

However on the other hand. What about the total opposite.

Why can't a son, marry his mother? Why can't a brother marry his sister? Why can't a guy..... marry an adult monkey that can speak 100 words in sign language?

Society won't allow that because of one word. "morality"

Morals help us know the difference between right and wrong.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Debunkology

When you can give a valid argument on how any of your 'points' compare to homosexuality, let me know.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

As far as Civil Unions go, in very few States do they grant the same rights and privileges as Marriage.

I don't think any of them have equal rights and privilege the same as Federal Legal Marriage. Some corporations who support gay rights - - pay the difference to gay couples to match what hetero couples get from Legal marriage.

Then there's the problem of such things as insurance. Insurance policies are sold often to other companies. This happens all the time. They're both covered when they buy the policy in their state - - then find out its invalid when they need to collect on it - - because its sold to a company that doesn't honor gay marriage or union.

In Great Britain - - they did do a Civil Union with benefits - - but now the government is changing it to Legal Marriage.

Elton John always said he was fine with Civil Union - - - until he had his son. He said having a child/family - - - made a huge difference in how he saw the difference between Civil Unions and Marriage.

Do we really want children of Legally Married couples going: NEENER NEENER - - my parents are married and yours never will be.

NO - - completely unacceptable.

EQUAL can not be compromised.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Debunkology

However on the other hand. What about the total opposite.

Why can't a son, marry his mother? Why can't a brother marry his sister? Why can't a guy..... marry an adult monkey that can speak 100 words in sign language?

Society won't allow that because of one word. "morality"

Morals help us know the difference between right and wrong.

Intelligence and knowledge help society evolve.

At one time incest in Royal Blood Lines was not only normal but mandatory.

Did you know that Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec - - the famous Moulin Rouge painter was not a midget - - - but had a genetic bone disease as a result of his parents being first cousins?

It has nothing to do with morals. It has to do with knowledge.

Today it is known that homosexuality is a birth right. Today we know that sexual orientation is "all shades of gray" - - - not black and white - - male/female.

For those who want to argue science hasn't proven that homosexuality is born - - - they don't know why humans are left handed either.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

When you can give a valid argument on how any of your 'points' compare to homosexuality, let me know.

Of course they compare. Gays want to change the concept of marriage. All in the meaning of ‘equality‘. In this case a mother and a son should be able to marry. A 65 year old grandfather should be able to marry his 21 year old grand-daughter. Of course these concepts are absurd, like the concept of a man marrying another man, and a woman marrying another woman.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

reply to post by tothetenthpower

I agree. However, this has been part of many governments for quite a long time now. Let's see if those who are against gay marriage agree with us, that no couple need ask permission nor receive special status for deciding to marry the person they love.

I agree. It is not the business of the government. I am fine having no special legal rights or breaks as a heterosexual due to my marriage.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpinionatedB

I agree. It is not the business of the government. I am fine having no special legal rights or breaks as a heterosexual due to my marriage.

Please go out and take a survey of Legally married couples.

Then report back how many are willing to give up the privileges and benefits they get from Legal marriage.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I think it is something being considered more and more by religious couples. Why does the government try to control what is our religious practice?

I think the more things like this are considered, the more widespread it will become to forgo the rights.Here is an article by a christian couple about this exact thing.

ncrenegade.com...

edit on 9-9-2012 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Do we really want children of Legally Married couples going: NEENER NEENER - - my parents are married and yours never will be.

Unfortunately, regardless of what we do, children will always be able to say NEENER NEENER I have both a mom and a dad, but you only have moms, or you only have dads. How can we fix that? Can we pass a law?

Maybe God made a mistake in creating two sexes. He didn't know what he was doing. All he needed was one sex, and mankind would have avoided all this headache. Who knew? Adam didn't really need Eve for a companion. All that work that God did, of taking the rib out of Adam, to fashion a suitable mate, gone to waste.

All God needed to do was duplicate Adam. Hit the copy button. Press "ENTER" and bingo, Adam would have had a perfect companion.......himself !

Poor God, he really should have been a little smarter about this whole creation business.

Never put the dump hole next to the glory hole, it causes confusion in the design. Next time God, put the glory hole at the opposite end of the body, like on top the head, or something like that.

Better luck next time, God.

Time to bring on another flood, and start over with the design of man.

edit on 9-9-2012 by GreatOwl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

I think it is something being considered more and more actually by religious couples. Why does the government try to control what is our religious practice?

I think the more things like this are considered, the more widespread it will become to forgo the rights.

Gays have been having non-government joining ceremonies for centuries.

I'd say they are far ahead of those who believe you can be in a "marriage" without government.

I doubt you'll find many straight married couples willing to give up the rights and privileges that go along with Legal marriage.

When you don't have those rights and privileges - - - its a lot more significant what it means.

Why don't you Google what is being denied gays by not having these rights - protections - privileges.

Like the Lesbian wife - - state marriage - - who's partner died and she had to pay $350,000 to the government - - - which she wouldn't have had to pay if she had Legal Federal Marriage.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreatOwl

Originally posted by Annee

Unfortunately, regardless of what we do, children will always be able to say NEENER NEENER I have both a mom and a dad, but you only have moms, or you only have dads. How can we fix that? Can we pass a law?

Useless excuse.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by GreatOwl

America does not have a theocratic government. Why do you want marriage dictated by religious law in a country that is not run according to any?

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

America dpes not have a theocratic government. Why do you want marriage dictated by religious law in a country that is not run according to religious law?

Actually, I don't. I want government to get out of the marriage business altogether.

Government should not be in the business of marrying people, or making rules on how people who want to "join up" for domestic purposes should live. Let the people decide what they want. Leave the holy marriage to the religions. Allow all people to form any union they want without restriction of any kind. Leave it up to the people.

You know that the U.S. constitution has this principle that whatever is not explicitly stated in the constitution as a power of the Federal Government is automatically relegated to the states? Well, in the same way, by leaving unions out of the civil law, it automatically returns to the people to decide to do what they want.

Free the people.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

I agree with this. My marriage is religious. Period. Not the governments business if we are to have separation of church and state.

For everyone who wants governmental concern of the happenings of their bedroom, have at it. I have decided against joining.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by tangonine
As a conservative, I totally agree. Government should have exactly NO involvement in personal relationships. There should be no financial penalty or gain for being married or unmarried.... there should be no "licensing."

The whole system is archaic and invasive. Who the hell is the govt to tell me when I can or can't and whom I can or can't marry?

Some of us view it as a sacred bond between two people, blessed by a religious body, and that's fine. As far as the government is concerned: stay the hell out of my life.

I could not agree more. Thank you for saying that. Many other people feel the same way. Hopefully, one day, we can reach this status.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

I agree with this. My marriage is religious. Period. Not the governments business if we are to have separation of church and state.

You keep assuming gays are not religious and don't have religious joining ceremonies. They've been doing what you keep promoting for centuries.

Do you honestly believe someone who is raised in a religion - like most in Americans are - - just stops believing because they realize they are gay?

I want you to read this article. Then tell me how this is fair.

Then tell me how many hetero Legal married couples are willing for this to happen to them.

Lesbian Widow Sues Over Estate Tax

JONAH COMSTOCK - 10 November 2010.

BY An 81-year-old gay woman whose partner of 44 years died last year sued the federal government today over the Defense of Marriage Act, which she called discriminatory and therefore unconstitutional.

Edith Windsor is suing over a $350,000 federal estate tax that was levied against her, even though under federal law a spouse is exempt from paying estate taxes – the so-called “widow’s exemption.” cityherald.org...

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join