It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Will Mars eventually develop Earthlike conditions in the far future?

page: 1
1

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
First of all, I have no background in physics or planetary science, but I have always found these things fascinating. I apologize if what i am about to post seems stupid.


Based on what we know, it seems like Mars is nearly geologically dead, perhaps completely so. It lacks the core-mantle dynamo effect that would generate a magnetic field(like what we have here on Earth). The loss of this dynamo caused the Martian atmosphere to be mostly blown away by the solar wind, and left it the cold, dry husk that it is today. If I am wrong in any way about this, please feel free to correct me.


Now to the reason I started this thread. In roughly 5 or so billion years the sun will exhaust the hydrogen fuel in it's core and begin fusing the hydrogen in it's outer layers, expanding many times it's size to become a red giant.
Is it possible that when this happens that Mars will become more geologically active due to tidal heating, restarting the dynamo in the interior? I believe something like this is happening to Jupiter's moon Europa.


Perhaps the atmosphere could be restored by outgassing.


edit on 7-9-2012 by DarthOej because: left something out




posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Not a chance in hell. Not enough water. Not enough gravity. Oh, sure there will always be talk of terraforming, but we can barely keep our own ecosystem healthy. Our species will be long dead before that could happen.



posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Not to go off topic here but..

In 5 billion years we will have either destroyed ourselves or evolved in beings that can transverse multiple dimensions and or intergalatic space....which ever comes first, my money is on first option.

Secondly, i believe that if left un touched Mars will remain to be a dead planet, unless some external forces are applied, either by humans or natural occurances.

Just a guess



posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Actually, I believe that recently, Mars has shown some signs of some geological activity. So, it may not be dead, quite yet!

As to any changes there, I have no doubt that (so long as no life is found) we would do some geo-engineering to make it more like earth. That might take a couple of hundred years, but not epochs.

Just mho!



posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthOej
 


When the sun begins to get bigger in the later stages of its life it will not become more massive. It will just increase in volume and decrease in density. The gravity would stay the same, I think. The red giant stage of our sun may heat up Mars and cause a thicker atmosphere due to outgassing, but any potential window for life to move in would be short.

I think the only way Mars can be fully resuscitated would be through a Dyson sphere collecting most of the suns output, or some other very large power source, powering some kind of equipment that would pump large amounts of heat deep into mars.

We could terraform mars at first without a working magnetic field, at least partially, but in the event of a solar flare people would have to hide underground. I don't know how other introduced life would stand up to a solar flare. The solar winds would also very slowly blow away the atmosphere. Over time it would return to its current density.
edit on 7-9-2012 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I think an equally valid question would have been will Earth eventually have Mars like conditions?

Or...

"DID" Mars previously have "Earth" like conditions?



posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
Not to go off topic here but..

In 5 billion years we will have either destroyed ourselves or evolved in beings that can transverse multiple dimensions and or intergalatic space....which ever comes first, my money is on first option.

Secondly, i believe that if left un touched Mars will remain to be a dead planet, unless some external forces are applied, either by humans or natural occurances.

Just a guess



We will be gone long before that. In another billion years Earth's surface will be too hot to have liquid water anyway.



posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by welshreduk
I think an equally valid question would have been will Earth eventually have Mars like conditions?

Or...

"DID" Mars previously have "Earth" like conditions?


Both, I think. I think Earth will die slower than Mars did but I think ultimately they will share the same fate.

I also think it is quite possible life on Earth originated on Mars.



posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mkoll
reply to post by DarthOej
 


When the sun begins to get bigger in the later stages of its life it will not become more massive. It will just increase in volume and decrease in density. The gravity would stay the same, I think. The red giant stage of our sun may heat up Mars and cause a thicker atmosphere due to outgassing, but any potential window for life to move in would be short.

I think the only way Mars can be fully resuscitated would be through a Dyson sphere collecting most of the suns output, or some other very large power source, powering some kind of equipment that would pump large amounts of heat deep into mars.

We could terraform mars at first without a working magnetic field, at least partially, but in the event of a solar flare people would have to hide underground. I don't know how other introduced life would stand up to a solar flare. The solar winds would also very slowly blow away the atmosphere. Over time it would return to its current density.
edit on 7-9-2012 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)



Would it be impossible for a magnetic field to be created as a result of tidal heating? Or would Mars have to be way too close for that to happen?



posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthOej
 


I'm saying I don't believe that the tidal forces wouldn't get any greater than they already are because the sun will not gain mass between now and then and therefore its gravity will not increase.

Sorry for not being clear, I tend to ramble



posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Mkoll
 


Oh ok, I just misread your post. That was something I forgot to consider.



posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
is it not possible that all our neighbouring planets are already teeming with life?

we will only be able to view these wonders when we are ready.



posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthOej
 


Mars seems to orbit the sun on a strange axis where it kind of wobbles a huge amount compared to the earths gradual slight changes to the angle that it spins at.
I am pretty sure that this stops Mars from being able to create a strong magnetic field that is able to keep out enough radiation to support an earth like atmosphere.



posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Read red mars blue mars green mars by kim stanley robinson an eye opening book well worth the read if you are into mars



posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by lewman
reply to post by DarthOej
 


Mars seems to orbit the sun on a strange axis where it kind of wobbles a huge amount compared to the earths gradual slight changes to the angle that it spins at.
I am pretty sure that this stops Mars from being able to create a strong magnetic field that is able to keep out enough radiation to support an earth like atmosphere.


I see, maybe Mars will remain a dead husk. I just want it to be possible I guess. Gives more hope that it has happened elsewhere. Who knows though, conditions do not have to be favorable to humans in order to support life.



posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Well this would only be true if we were living in the universe of total recall




top topics



 
1

log in

join