It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House circulating draft of executive order on cybersecurity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I searched new topics feed and nothing appears there. In fact, the duplication that DOES exist is part of the story itself....as this does appear to have been attempted several times now. Here is the latest out today!

The White House is circulating a draft of an executive order aimed at protecting the country from cyberattacks, The Hill has learned.

The draft proposal, which has been sent to relevant federal agencies for feedback, is a clear sign that the administration is resolved to take action on cybersecurity even as Congress remains gridlocked on legislation that would address the threat.

Deja Vu anyone?

Oh..and Obama, Congress isn't Gridlocked on THIS one. The American people screamed so loud it rattled windows at the Capital Switchboard, NO to SOPA, NO to PIPA and NO to anything remotely like it to come later. Now they keep trying to shoe horn and outright FORCE control of the internet by any means necessary. This time, it's another whack at the fear of a bogeyman destroying us all if we don't.......but then, it doesn't matter what we think.

This isn't another try through the people and those we elected to represent us. This is Executive Order and Decree.....we never get a say, when it comes this way.

The draft executive order would establish a voluntary program where companies operating critical infrastructure would elect to meet cybersecurity best practices and standards crafted, in part, by the government, according to two people familiar with the document.

The concept builds off of a section in the cybersecurity bill from Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.) that was blocked last month by Senate Republicans, who called it a backdoor to new regulations.

To even suggest or go there with this being Partisan is shameful to an extreme. The only thing partisan to be said is how NON-PARTISAN the opposition to these power grab attempts have been. By what I've seen, it's one of the few areas that brought all areas of the Internet together in a unified front opposing it. Oh..but who would run it all?

DHS would be responsible for the overall management of the program, but the Commerce Department's National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) would work with industry to help craft the framework for it. The agency would work with the private sector to develop cybersecurity guidelines and best practices.
Sourc e

DHS would run it all, of course. So, we needn't worry a bit, right? Aunt Janet is on the case with the DHS behind her. Such successes as the BATFE, FBI and Justice...not to mention the TSA. What could possibly go wrong with the DHS running the Internet as well? After all, he who controls and defines security or access DOES control that being protected. By definition, the control is absolute in at least some ways.

What say everyone? Think they'll get what they're after this time?

edit on 7-9-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Hmm... I'm wondering if this is just a really really bad time to start a thread or if people are on strike for my threads until I get up my big one? lol.....

Maybe just a real slow time... I'd have figured that an executive order attempt at what we all put so much into defeating by SOPA/PIPA and the follow-up ideas would generate some interest... Things have been real slow for threads just recently.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
With the advent of the Executive Order, Congress and the voice of the people have become largely obsolete. A trivial technicality to be end-run around. There's nothing that will be done about it. Get used to it, populace. You know you're not going to put up any sort of meaningful struggle. Just passively and pathetically let the trap crush down on your collective neck.

ETA partisanship in any form is a trick/illusion. Americans so love cheering for their "team" and against the other, that they're oblivious to the fact that both sides are really pushing for the same agenda. Makes them feel like they've "won" something. Nope. We all lose.
edit on 7-9-2012 by Urantia1111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

A little more detailed article about the EO.

Article

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
This is another red flag for me. Normally a year goes by and maybe one or two things makes my radar go off during that period...

Well, I've had two or three of these red flag moments this week.

Something is about to happen. And I think it's something big. Two different issues, right now, regarding cyberspace, a MOUNTAIN of disinfo being circulated, provocateurs coming out of the woodwork, ammunition orders from agencies that don't normally get bullets and which are in the homeland, scrutiny about social networking and possible false flags regarding Twitter ( Mexico is an example - did a thread on it a few hours ago )...

I'm not prone to hyperbole and am as skeptical as anyone on ATS. But this is very tangible. This is no longer about trying to find the patterns. This is about the patterns being so obvious that you can't help but see them.

What's the end game here? False flag? Maybe, but I doubt TPTB even need that now. I think they can just yank the rug out from under us at will - declare a security based, executive order martial law and our geese are cooked.

This is thunder on the horizon and the storm is nearly here.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Who died and made him God.

Sick and tired of these idiots just creating whatever laws they feel like out of thin air and then forcing everyone to abide by them. Screw you!

I foresee a time in the future where the "internet" splinters, and there is a black market/underground version of it for those of us who aren't interested in this BS.

edit on 8-9-2012 by HIWATT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

This president is absolutely out of control with these executive orders! This guy is a dictator, I don't care what anyone says. He has absolutely no regard for what the people want, and certainly no regard for the governmental checks and balances that are SUPPOSED to be built into our Constitution.

Obama has signed 137 executive orders in his 1461 days in office. That's one executive order every 10.7 days, and though that's not a rediculous amount compared to past presidents, the problem is that Congress must challenge them, or they become law in 30 days, and as we all know, this lazy, do-nothing Congress will do exactly that: nothing!

This is supposed to be a government "by the people" and "for the people", but it's degenerated into a government by executive decree.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Disgusting. And for the partisan folks out there, if you think this is bad, consider what the internet would look like if a republican (Romney) White House were in charge of its security.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
You're right wrabbit. I almost never agree with your posts but this is one we stand in solidarity against. This isn't anything partisan. This is what the "owners" want. They're pushing for this hard.

I'm starting to believe that they are doing nothing but just trying to push all our buttons. As has been stated countless times before, they're trying to push us into pushing back. They want us to snap. I won't play.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I wonder what America reaction would be if it were
Hit hard???

It is a hard line to walk

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Basically all these executive orders are nothing else but a King's orders to his subjects.

Can we stop calling our government a Democracy yet and get it over with?

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I searched new topics feed and nothing appears there. In fact, the duplication that DOES exist is part of the story itself....as this does appear to have been attempted several times now. Here is the latest out today!

The White House is circulating a draft of an executive order aimed at protecting the country from cyberattacks, The Hill has learned.

The draft proposal, which has been sent to relevant federal agencies for feedback, is a clear sign that the administration is resolved to take action on cybersecurity even as Congress remains gridlocked on legislation that would address the threat.

Deja Vu anyone?

Oh..and Obama, Congress isn't Gridlocked on THIS one. The American people screamed so loud it rattled windows at the Capital Switchboard, NO to SOPA, NO to PIPA and NO to anything remotely like it to come later. Now they keep trying to shoe horn and outright FORCE control of the internet by any means necessary. This time, it's another whack at the fear of a bogeyman destroying us all if we don't.......but then, it doesn't matter what we think.

This isn't another try through the people and those we elected to represent us. This is Executive Order and Decree.....we never get a say, when it comes this way.

The draft executive order would establish a voluntary program where companies operating critical infrastructure would elect to meet cybersecurity best practices and standards crafted, in part, by the government, according to two people familiar with the document.

The concept builds off of a section in the cybersecurity bill from Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.) that was blocked last month by Senate Republicans, who called it a backdoor to new regulations.

To even suggest or go there with this being Partisan is shameful to an extreme. The only thing partisan to be said is how NON-PARTISAN the opposition to these power grab attempts have been. By what I've seen, it's one of the few areas that brought all areas of the Internet together in a unified front opposing it. Oh..but who would run it all?

DHS would be responsible for the overall management of the program, but the Commerce Department's National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) would work with industry to help craft the framework for it. The agency would work with the private sector to develop cybersecurity guidelines and best practices.
Sourc e

DHS would run it all, of course. So, we needn't worry a bit, right? Aunt Janet is on the case with the DHS behind her. Such successes as the BATFE, FBI and Justice...not to mention the TSA. What could possibly go wrong with the DHS running the Internet as well? After all, he who controls and defines security or access DOES control that being protected. By definition, the control is absolute in at least some ways.

What say everyone? Think they'll get what they're after this time?

edit on 7-9-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

Sounds like the White House is attempting to "BACK DOOR" congress again by LEGISTLATING via EXECUTIVE ORDER which is clearly, AGAINST THE LAW ! I wish they would take him on and take him down on the use of Executive Orders as Legislative Tool to BYPASS the US Congress, which is the Legislative body of government.

I work for an ISP in Texas and I can tell you this will not boad well with us.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
While I am just as skeptical as the next guy, a system like this could actually be beneficial, and not detrimental for the average person on a network. It all depends on how they go about it. I definitely feel that those who operate sensitive networks, such as the energy/power grid, etc., should meet certain security standards. This will prevent possible future attacks that could cause massive problems around the country.

But I have a feeling that even if this were done correctly, there would be a lot of under the table deals being made, and lots of money changing hands. Crooks in the government use new "regulations" to make money, and they always have, and probably will continue to do so. And it seems that these bills are usually designed to give the government more power, rather than protect the country. But we all know this I'm sure. If it came down to it, I would not want a bill like this to pass, because I know that there is probably a darker side to it.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
All I've heard for years and years now is a lot of talk from a lot of people. You what this reminds me of? Iran and their saber rattling. All people do is talk and put things on paper. And the bullet issue? More BS. When it comes right down to it, nobody on either side of the fence, rich or poor, whatever country, has the balls to do anything radical.

That, and I have no faith whatsoever that whoever Washington hires to help put this executive order into physical action, as in physically enforcing the order with new computer programming or whatever, will be half as good as the twice as many people out here who don't want this to happen. If they pass this bill they'll be starting a fight they can't win. They don't have the qualifications.

This is the World Wide Web. Not the American web. If they can't even wrap their heads around that, they're dumber then they look. All the while, you have teenagers in foreign countries, as I'm typing this, that are twice as computer savvy as anyone the U.S. Government hires, reading this bit of American news and stepping up their game. There are way too many people on this side of the keyboard that won't allow this to happen, regardless of what some words on a piece of paper that originated in Washington D.C., U.S.A. says.

I firmly believe that.
edit on 9-9-2012 by DeepImpactX because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join