It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Noises Detected Deep in the Ocean

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I found this information pretty fascinating considering all of the strange noises that have been heard in the sky this year, I was unaware that scientists had been detecting strange noises in the ocean too and this has been occurring for over a decade now.

NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) have detected various unexplained sounds from deep in the Pacific Ocean. This article lists the most baffling ones that scientists can’t figure out.

For the past 20+ years, scientists have been listening to different noises coming out of the deep oceans and have recorded seismic activity sounds, ice noise and various marine population and migration sounds. But along with these discoveries, there have also been a few sounds that are unexplainable and have not been identified yet. Various theories have been proposed to account for these sounds such as an unknown marine animal, ice sheet splitting or becoming unstable and even aliens and UFO’S have been discussed. Below is a list of the most powerful unexplained sounds along with a sample of the actual recording for each.

Read more: scienceray.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
It's Leviathan (beat the recent DLC for Mass Effect 3 lol). Anyways, those .wav audio files sound a lot like plates shifting/grinding together. Recent El Salvador quake 8/26 took place 78 miles off the pacific ocean.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Some of them sound like earth sounds, similar to those of Yellowstone for example, or as the other poster suggested fault movements, but some sounded organic to me, the upsweep sound sounds like whale song. Interesting thread. I enjoyed listening to all the different 'unknowns'.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I wonder if this could help explain the hundreds and hundreds of Dolphins that beached themselves along the West Coast of South America earlier this year? There is nothing remarkable about fish, whales or even dolphins doing that in small numbers....but when 600 and 800 start being used to count them, I sit straight up. I seem to recall a mystery about them as to cause, as well. As if perhaps they were scared/run right out of their own ocean.

Perhaps...seismic changes they aren't used to seeing either, are what did it. It's possible..they simply understood what was happening long before we are and made their choice for being around to see the rest. Interesting Times..to say the least.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

dolphins dont swim that deep really, I would start to worry more if a load of strange looking glow in the dark armoured fish start washing up on the coast.

maybe these noises are caused by the pressure of the weight of the ocean on the ground below.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I say it's earth noises or subs broadcasting active sonar in different sounds that mimic animal or earth sounds. I remember a few years back the navy was testing some sonar that would kill dozens of whales at a time. Maybe thats what was detected.

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
All the left-righ bickering in America must have awoken Cthulhu.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

The Sonar is also very likely, indeed.... Cryptome had technical papers on that Sonar system up in August but the link they had is broken now. That system is impressive beyond words for what it actually does on a modern Sub...but also sounds horrible beyond description for what it does to ocean going life that depend entirely on acoustics to survive. Yikes...

As far as depth... How would depth make a difference for Dolphins hearing, understanding and running like hell from geologic changes they literally hear ..and well before we do? Some look at Dolphins as stupid fish (Mammals, of course...but to some people...lol) However, I personally see them as one of the closest to Human intelligence levels we see in the world around us. Something scared them out of the water...and some evidence does seem to support acoustic trauma.

900+ Dolphins along the beaches of Peru - 2012

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
First of all, this doesn't make sense to me.
I thought scientists knew everything.
I also thought there was a logical explination for everything.

Secondly,
I seriously doubt we are going to come up with the definitive conclusion as to what this is by pontificating on it in an online forum. "Sounds like plates shifting" isn't really going to get us anywhere and I'm almost certain that
our respected scientists have thought of that, considered it, and ruled it out, or else they wouldn't still be searching for the source of the noise.

Make sense?

In the world I live in, this will be quickly dealt with and an answer will be forthcoming.
It will be a mundane unremarkable answer because they want us to believe we live in a mundane unremarkable world.

God only knows what the real explanation is.
Your guess is as good as mine.
edit on 7-9-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Liking this thread * for you. If you feel like digging a little deeper a couple of links to help:

First the DOSITS (Discovery of Sounds in the Sea) Home great information.

www.dosits.org...

Second NOAA "Vents" site has these same mystery sea sounds with spectrograms (pictures of the sounds.

www.pmel.noaa.gov...

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Probably from volcano's and earthquakes.... Their I solved it. . Pay me...

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
This may be slightly off topic, but its a thought i had while listening to the sounds.

Could it be possible for a current to shift and hit an old lava tube and cause a sound the same way blowing over the top of a glass bottle makes a sound?

Water is essentially just very thick air, and given the perfect circumstances it seems plausible in my mind.

There were some that provided wind hitting haves causing a similar situation as an explanation for the sky sounds.

Not a claim, just a thought. Let me know if i am way off base.

DC

ETA: S+F, great thread. The Julia sound makes my hair stand up!
edit on 9/7/2012 by xDeadcowx because: forgot to give props

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

All Hail Cthulhu the dead god.
edit on 9/7/2012 by Jedite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

The problem with your statement is that we havent been paying attention to these sounds long enough to thuroughly rule out earth sounds or plates shifting, ect. The geology of earth provides a lot of variables for this kind of research. And we just havent been listening long to enough to have catalogued it all.

If they were just going to lie to us and make up some mundane reason for the sound, they would have done so by now right?

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
It's Cthulhu or Godzilla...there both down there with giant Mermaid Elvis.
band practice

edit on 7-9-2012 by zonetripper2065 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by 304edgewood

this is a good one, first time i heard about this was through this videos is like a compilation, the second video has noise reduction....

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I find it interesting that two of these sounds come from the area near the intriguing Easter Island. Lot's of unknowns and theories surrounding this area. Such as a meeting point of Ley lines. Being in a line with the pyramids at Giza, etc etc...

Makes you wonder how much more the "ancients" where in tune with Earth that we are now. Makes you wonder if these sounds has something to do with the monuments placed there. I think they were more advanced in understanding patterns, cycles, and the ways of the planet than we are now. All of this knowledge has become lost, destroyed, or locked away in some vault inaccessible to the public.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Haha, the Julia one sounds like a remix of Benny Benassi.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by VonDoomen
reply to post by Screwed

The problem with your statement is that we havent been paying attention to these sounds long enough to thuroughly rule out earth sounds or plates shifting, ect. The geology of earth provides a lot of variables for this kind of research. And we just havent been listening long to enough to have catalogued it all.

If they were just going to lie to us and make up some mundane reason for the sound, they would have done so by now right?

You bring up an interesting point. Is anyone really listening, even now? Outside of a few research ships world wide, is anyone paying attention? If I'm not mistaken, the very noise we're all talking about being of interest is precisely what military sonar is designed to filter out. Heck, things like the Giant Squid was thought a myth until recently... who knows. The ocean is still a place with a lot to discover.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join