It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Men and Women Really Do See Things Differently

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
linky

My wife always says that if she says something is one color I say that it's a different one.
I guess now I know why we always have that argument.

The study, led by Brooklyn College psychology professor Israel Abramov, put young adults with normal vision through a battery of tests.

In color experiments the men and women tended to ascribe different shades to the same objects. The researchers think they know why.

"Across most of the visible spectrum males require a slightly longer wavelength than do females in order to experience the same hue," the team concludes in the latest issue of the journal Biology of Sex Differences.

Since longer wavelengths are associated with "warmer" colors, an orange, for example, may appear redder to a man than to a woman. Likewise, the grass is almost always greener to women than to men, to whom verdant objects appear a bit yellower.

(Also see "Men's Offices Have More Bacteria, Study Finds.")

The study also found that men are less adept at distinguishing among shades in the center of the color spectrum: blues, greens, and yellows.

So for all your married guys. If your wife says that something looks different.
Now you know why.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Making my Wife read this later.

We have a "yellow, orange" argument every year around college football time.

S&F for you for ending this long standing debate.
edit on 7-9-2012 by thesungod because: forgot the my

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Makes total sense. I remember as a kid getting in arguments with my sister. I would say thats bluish green and she would say no your color blind thats solid green. Then I'd go what! you don't see the blue hues in it. And she would say NO your color blind! then I would say No your color blind.

Guess we were both right.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

Actually. She might be right.
It's also been found that some women have elevated color acuity. That can pass along to their daughters.
And interestingly enough that those women sometimes have sons that have less visual color acuity.
So you could in fact be slightly color blind.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
No wonder that men generally leave the choice of colour for the house

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by thesungod
reply to post by grey580

Making my Wife read this later.

We have a "yellow, orange" argument every year around college football time.

S&F for you for ending this long standing debate.
edit on 7-9-2012 by thesungod because: forgot the my

That's not necessarily down to different perception though, if I was brought up to believe the colour orange was actually called blue, I would argue with you that it's blue. I know that's not really the same, but my point is it's probably down to opinion.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

Well we argue whether the color of the Wyoming Cowboys has an orange hue in the yellow. She says it has an orange hue, I say it's just yellow.

Link to Uniform pic

What say ya'll?

ETA: I personally think the brown throws her off, but meh.
edit on 7-9-2012 by thesungod because: see eta

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Despite what people like to think, there are biological differences between men and women, even in their brains structure.

as a result we experience things differently, from something as simple as how we see colors, to things like men being more adapt at spacial recognition task.

It make sense when you look at a hunter gatherer society, women needed to be better at seeing colors to better differentiate between poisonous fauna and edible ones.

Men would have to leave the camp to hunt for days on end and find their way back.

Different is just different, doesn't mean better or worse, and in the end its as a group that we get the maximum advantages of our abilities.
edit on 7-9-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by thesungod

To me, that definitely has a light orange hue to it, even when trying to block out the brown.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Well we argue whether the color of the Wyoming Cowboys has an orange hue in the yellow. She says it has an orange hue, I say it's just yellow.

Link to Uniform pic

What say ya'll?

Well, the pixels in that image are about #fbcf28, which is 0% cyan, 17.5% magenta, 84.1% yellow and 1.6% black. At 84% yellow I would say it's more yellow than orange.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
It's supposed to be gold...

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I wonder how many womens rights groups wil complain that this is a sexist article? I mean, they are pointing out some genetic differences between men and women....it is obviously sexist in this day and age where uncomfortable subjects are taboo.

What next? They are going to actually be brazen enough to explain why it seems that the lighter you skin is, the less capable you will generally be to excel at skill positions in football, or run faster? (Here in small town West Texas, where african american populations are lower overall, running backs and receivers are usually of hispanic descent).

Someone should stop the conductors of this study before they go and offend someone else. We can't be explaining a basis for any stereotypes.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Thank you for acknowledging this, honest thank you. My husband and I ( married almost 25 years ) will be looking at the exact same thing, my response to it is this and his is that, I just dont get it. But seeing there is a man out there seeing it i say, finally. I just wish the hubby could see it and then the stupid arguements would end.
this difference is deeper then just color, it is also in emotions and decisions, we differ, how we view others, how we handle situations, I think if both genders could just recognize this the couples could maybe be awesome in everything, kinda like if the republicans and democrats could just realize each party has its own agenda but together they could be awesome.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
So, then how do we handle the age old question "Does this dress make me look fat?"

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

I see no orange hue...and I have a good eye for color, being that I have owned a printing company for 20+ years.

However, because it is not solid yellow from the CMYK spectrum, it must contain a little black, and a little magenta, in order to get it to the GOLD that it appears to be.
edit on 7-9-2012 by phantomjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Well, it's not quite school bus yellow. If it's not quite that yellow, arguing about it's orange content is not important. lol.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Link to Uniform pic

What say ya'll?

I think there's a slight orange hue. I would call it a "gold". I'm a man btw.

edit on 11-9-2012 by renegadeloser because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join