It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkish officers take command of Syrian rebel brigades. N. Israel on alert

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Turkish army officers have assumed direct command of the first two Syrian rebel brigades fighting Bashar Assad’s government forces, according to debkafile’s exclusive sources. This step has sent military tensions rocketing on Israel’s northern borders with Syria and Lebanon in case of a backlash.

(visit the link for the full news article)

www.debka.com...
edit on 7-9-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Contributor's note: I am well aware of the extremely poor reputation that DEBKAfiles has as a factual news source. However, I can't place it in the [HOAX] forum because I cannot prove this to be untrue. I am hoping some of our more acute members can provide some validation or evidence that we can use to measure the legitimacy of this claim.

Were this true, the act of taking command of insurgent forces which operate in another country is patently an act which most nations would declare as "one of war."

I am uncertain how such a command structure could exist. Especially since there is no reason the rebels would be obliged to recognize the Turkish military as an authority to command them. Unless perhaps they are acting "as NATO."

I am unwilling to submit this article for comment on the grounds of it being correct. But instead, would like to offer it as an opportunity to discuss why this "news" is being distributed and presented among scores of "alternative" news sites.

However, I find it curious that such news would be fabricated and disseminated across the internet unless the intent were to spark a reaction, or influence the opinion of the public.

Let us discuss why someone would author this - if untrue - and expect to "get away with it" OR if true - why is the mainstream media refusing to repeat the story?

The rebel North Liberators Brigade in the Idlib region of northern Syria and the Tawhid Brigade fighting in the Al-Bab area northeast of Aleppo are now taking their operational orders from Turkish officers, who exercise their authority from headquarters outside Syria in the southeastern Turkish city of Gaziantep. Nonetheless, Turkey is considered to have stepped directly into the Syrian conflict marking the onset of foreign intervention.
Western and Arab military circles in the Middle East expect Turkey to extend its command to additional rebel units – not all of them part of the Free Syrian Army.

PS - for those new to the idea - Debka has been perennially scoffed at due to the repeated egregious mis-characterizations, and apparent falsehoods they have propagated....

Here is a list of the ironically powerful accolades they boast: It makes the idea of "propaganda" from them seem even more insulting.

DEBKAfile has won world-class awards and is frequently quoted in the world media and contemporary documentary literature as a leading authority on geopolitical issues.
DEBKAfile was cited Best of the Web in 2002 by Forbes; selected Hot Site by USAToday, profiled in the New York Observer (A Web Site With the Inside Dope on the Middle East), Time Magazine, Le Monde, Paris, Corriere della Sera, Milan, and The London Evening Standard, Wired News (DEBKA: Conflict's Drudge Report?), NEW MEDIA (For the real skinny on the Afghan story).
In 2002, DEBKAfile was one of four finalists nominated by Webby (Oscar of the Web) for its annual award in the Internet news category.
The BBC has placed DEBKAfile on its list of monitored sites.
Bloomberg recommends DEBKAfile to its subscribers.
Our experts appear on Fox TV and radio, US Public Radio.

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 7-9-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
At best I'm seeing articles noting that Turkey is fighting the pkk in a border skirmish.

[url=http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Middle-East/2012/Sep-07/187087-turkish-troops-kill-18-pkk-rebels-in-major-offensive.ashx#axzz25nmK3jCv]linky[/ur l]

However you might be onto something.
In the article is the following.

Ankara has linked the upsurge on the unrest in neighbouring Syria and Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan has accused Syria's President Bashar al-Assad of arming the PKK militants.

Turkey has raised the possibility of military intervention in Syria if the PKK were to launch attacks from Syrian soil. On Wednesday, the military conducted a major military exercise on the Syrian border, a clear warning to Damascus.

Read more: www.dailystar.com.lb...
(The Daily Star :: Lebanon News :: www.dailystar.com.lb...)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Both sides of the Syrian conflict are known to fabricate stories for distribution to alternative news websites and blogs for the Western audience.

I'm a member of the video-sharing website Liveleak, as I'm sure many others here are, which is kind of like YouTube, but more 'mature' and oftentimes graphic in nature. There are different 'channels' featuring different subjects. LL's Syria channel is one of many places on the web where front-line videos from both sides of the Syrian conflict are shared and discussed. There's also a very real cyber propaganda war being waged there and by both sides of the conflict.

Members from within Syria, as well as Syrians living abroad who both support and oppose the Assad regime are equally guilty of creating disinformation and propaganda videos, stifling opposing opinions, making clones of clones of clones of accounts and just generally making any real conversation on the issue of the conflict a virtual impossibility.

It's all about controlling the discussion. I doubt Turkish officers are taking command of FSA brigades, as perhaps some Syrian loyal to the regime might like to suggest. I'm equally doubtful that Iran has sent thousands of its Revolutionary Guardsmen to bolster SAA ranks, as somebody loyal to the rebels might suggest. Disinformation has always been a major part of war, the difference today is that now it travels at the speed of light, and anybody can get involved.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Umm, bit strange that a mod can fubar the title.

And to be honest, I didn't read the post, because if the topic cannot be put up properly, it's not a good sign.

Sorry.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

First we had Iran admitting that they were providing advisors arms, and troops to the Assad Regime. Now Turkey could be providing support to the rebels?

Whodathunk?

Unless one side wins soon, we will all be dragged into this mess as countries take sides in order to further whatever agenda they have.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

And to be honest, I didn't read the post, because if the topic cannot be put up properly, it's not a good sign.

Sorry.

Title was fine when I clicked it, but I just checked again and yeah, it's a URL. Obviously a glitch of some sort. Are you suggesting that just because one member is a mod, that a technical glitch cannot possibly occur? That mod tag in their avatar doesn't give them magical invulnerability to code malfunctioning.

I also suggest that if you didn't read the post, and have nothing to add to the conversation, consider whether what you have to say is worth typing out to begin with.

link   
reply to post by Monger

But Iran has admitted to sending Quds force troops to advise, along with weapons and ammo. Maybe not thousands as some have said, but they are a active player in this conflict.

Why should anyone think that Turkey would be any different for the other side?

link   
I tell ya what I personally think....I wouldn't want to "F" with the Turks. They is some hard core folks...used to work with a few and buddy they are hard core to the bone! Let us not forget, the Ottoman Empire...like most empires, they declined and faded...but during their time...some serious butt kickers!

If they really are helping the rebels...well...then it's only going to get worse...then Iran will up the ante and help Assad more...and back and forth until the Turks openly confront Iran...I would suggest we stay out of that. I am pretty sure Turkey will be quite capable of handling Iran and Syria....

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by Monger

But Iran has admitted to sending Quds force troops to advise, along with weapons and ammo. Maybe not thousands as some have said, but they are a active player in this conflict.

Why should anyone think that Turkey would be any different for the other side?

I'm not saying its an impossibility, what I am saying is that it's, in my opinion, unlikely. It's a very risky move from either side of the fence. It is, however, entirely possible. And if one side has indeed bolstered their allies forces with their own, then it does indeed stand to reason that the other may very well do the same.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah65

If they really are helping the rebels...well...then it's only going to get worse...then Iran will up the ante and help Assad more...and back and forth until the Turks openly confront Iran...

And then both will blame Israel and the US, while continueing to shoot at each other.
(That's actually a sad laugh)

I can actually see it happening. I think I live in BizarroWorld.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I am hoping some of our more acute members to provide some validation or evidence that we can use to measure the legitimacy of this claim.

I've researched several websites with this particular information. The one's that are close to it, do not related to actual Turkish Commanders taking charge of FSA forces. All the other news relating to this event are traceable back to DebkaFiles.

DebkaFiles does not name any source, nor gives any insight wether that source is from the West side, or Middle East side.

However, I decided then to research the other side. The article you quoted talks about tension in the Israel borders. I tried to figure out if any particular attention was being given by Israel to that area, and it appears that nothing out of the ordinary has been announced or reported.

The only article that relates borders, Israel and Turkey, is this one:

U.S. to send more envoys to Turkey-Syria border

fficials in Washington said on Thursday that the United States has decided to place more intelligence agents and diplomats at the border between Turkey and Syria.

The American envoys will advise rebel forces in their struggle against the regime in Syria and will try to extract information on the infiltration of the Al-Qaeda terror group into the country, the officials said.

However, I would like to raise attention to this article. It might not be the same, but it might be related.

Maybe the US envoys and representatives are being misinterpreted as being commanders from other nations?

Either way, it seems pretty obvious that western nations that are against Assad's regime are coming increasingly more transparent about their involvement with the FSA.

Although the article from Debka can't be verified - unless debka releases their sources for verification - it really isn't that unplausible.

However, Turkish military commanders assuming important positions within the FSA forces, raises the conflict scale to a whole new level.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Why would Israel fear Turkey getting involved in Syria?. While their respective governments may currently have chilly relations, the military of both countries still have fairly good relations. Taking out a supporter of Iran in Syria is definitely in Israel's favor. If I were Israel, I would rather have Turkey as the regional power then Iran.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
So we now have a foreign force operating against Assad, wasnt this the red line limit for his chemical weapons?
Be interesting to see what happens now,
Turkey knows they need to end this quickly or else risk being dragged in

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Well if this was true that means Turkey and Syria are at war. To have Turkish officers leading the fight with Syrian rebels is a declaration of war from Turkey. And not likely to be honest, the Turkish government had no knowledge of this. I'd be surprised if nothing official was said about this from the Syrian government point of view. If true of course this story..
edit on 7-9-2012 by P12SOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

Sorry.

What are you talking about?

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Contributor's note: I am well aware of the extremely poor reputation that DEBKAfiles has as a factual news source.

Debka has always billed itself as an "intelligence" website. Their articles are filled with speculation and infromation given to them from unnamed sources. As we all know, this type of information is certainly not always reliable.

That being said, the article rings true for me. Turkey have much to fear if Assad decides to use his significant chemical stockpile, and undoubtedly are still smarting over losing one of their aircraft.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Seems legit
Mainstream media is not circulating this because it proves NATO intervention within Syria
The Syrian govt has it's hands tied on the chemical weapons issue
French,German,Turkish and British soldiers have also been captured in Syria
This is a NATO led overthrow..i've been saying this all along..

english.farsnews.com...
english.sahartv.ir...
www.godlikeproductions.com...
northerniraq.info...
edit on 7-9-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join