It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada closes embassy in Iran, expels Iranian diplomats

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Source: cbc.ca

"Canada has closed its embassy in Iran, effective immediately, and declared personae non gratae all remaining Iranian diplomats in Canada," Baird said in a statement. Those diplomats must leave within five days.

Can't say I'm really surprised by this move. I've always found Baird to be inline with US conservative views on foreign policy. Just another step in the ever increasing pressure on Iran. Do I agree with it? No. All western politicians keep saying they want a diplomatic solution to the 'problem' but then they turn around and cut off diplomatic ties? Actions speak louder than words right?

The statement cited Iran's support for the Assad regime in Syria and failure to comply with UN resolutions on its nuclear program, and its threats against Israel.

The statement also makes reference to Iran's "blatant disregard" of the Vienna Convention that guarantees the protection of diplomatic personnel.

I do believe Iran has some serious religious/political views that should not be taken lightly but I haven't seen any solid proof that they are building a nuclear weapon or are planning to 'wipe Israel off the map' (which is a common statement used against Iran that is taken out of context and lost in translation).

I think the west has given up on Iran along time ago and are just trying to drum up support for military action. If they were truly dedicated to a diplomatic solution, they wouldn't be closing embassies and kicking out diplomats.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by fenceSitter

I've been seeing that all over the news. Canadian media outlets state that Iran has made threats to Isreal but failed to mention that Benny Netanyahu is pretty much foaming at the mouth and pushing for a War with Iran. Very disappointed in our media outlets right now but I cant say that im surprised.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

I do believe Iran has some serious religious/political views that should not be taken lightly but I haven't seen any solid proof that they are building a nuclear weapon

Except for a few weeks ago when they claimed that their one reactor is running at double capacity.

It won't be long until Israel strikes.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Jassu

Par for the course I guess. Most people just simply accept what the media shows them and frankly it is pretty sad. Won't be hard for the government to get support for this move when the population is fed a one sided story. I still read all the MSM news but never do I accept any of it as fact. I'll make up my own mind what to believe!

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by olliemc84

Actually I think the story was that their centrifuges were doubled in capacity. That just means they can enrich uranium faster but doesn't prove what grade they are enriching too. Even if they plan to produce weapons grade uranium they are still a long way off from getting to that point - imo.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

For the Canadian government to expell Iranian diplomats at this time would seem both ignorant and hypocritical, unless of course the US, banksters or military/industrial complex has made that demand and then we know it's just economic extortion, nothing criminal about that as long as it's government doing the extorting, right?

Past actions kind of define trends, to sort of compare apples to apples; In the 1980's there was the big noise about South Africa. South Africa HAD nukes, tactical (G series cannon fired) as well as aircraft deliverable, but Canada still maintained an embassy in Pretoria and South Africa had an embassy in Ottawa plus a Consul in at least Toronto. South Africa also did nuclear tests in the Kalahari, the South Indian Ocean and had a verifiable breeder reactor program running at Palendaba/Velindaba west of Pretoria. Canadian politicians in the early 1990's denied that Canada had any diplomatic relations with South Africa, but I have been in the embassy and it was run by Adrian Brazeau, the Administrative Consul (I still have his business card actually and his home phone number from back then) who may be a relative of Patrick Brazeau. I also worked for the SA military, CI and military contractors as an engineer, developer and project manager in weapons programs, so I also know about the nukes and some of that program (the parts that effected my work).

In any event it appears a purely political move, a part of the military industrial complex and banksters ongoing war of attrition. I think we all know any politician has there head so far up their bankster handler's @ss, that you can't tell where one ends and the other begins. I expect more posturing and more inflammatory rhetoric, we are coming up on the end of September when generally bad things happen in the financial world and will need some distraction.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 9/7.2012 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by fenceSitter

Actually I think the story was that their centrifuges were doubled in capacity. That just means they can enrich uranium faster but doesn't prove what grade they are enriching too. Even if they plan to produce weapons grade uranium they are still a long way off from getting to that point - imo.

When the IAEA goes in and complains to the UN that they weren't allowed to see everything that the Iranian nuclear program is working on, it should throw red flags.

They did the same thing with Iraq.

And i dont think Mossad would assassinate a few Iranian nuclear scientists if they didn't think Iran was close to obtaining a nuke.

IMO the Stuxnet worm revealed the true nature of the Iranian nuke program and Israel and the US are just waiting for the right time to strike. Like right before or after the next presidential election.

Bombs will be falling on Iran by the new year.

I don't think it's right, but I think it is inevitable.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Not surprised one bit by this. The Canadian government is just falling in line with the US and her allies. I don't agree with the decision at all as I haven't seen any proof that the Iranian government is developing nuclear weapons. The only thing I've read was about how Iran is using its centrifuges to enrich uranium to 20% (which is a long way from the 90% that's needed for a bomb; please correct me if I'm wrong on that). All I see is bibi foaming at the mouth for an attack on Iran. My question is why have the western nations not pressured Israel to open up their own nuclear facilities (I'm still scratching my head on that one, lol).

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

"Actions speak louder than words right? " What actions have Iran taken in the last 10 years to better the negotiations. I think the world has been pretty patient so far and it's about time someone stands up and acts. I've had enough of the UN and everyone else blowing more hot air onto negotiations that have literally led nowhere.

+12 more 
posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
God damn Stephen Harper and his globalist scum bag agenda.

War mongering.

That man needs to be removed from the helm of government. He's turning my country into something I hardly recognize anymore.

Sickening.

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Well if Iran is developing nuclear weapons and Israel/US/NATO/UN etc. have solid proof then they should disclose it to the world. Any attack on Iran is going to impact ALL of us, all around the world. We 'elect' these politicians to represent our 'democracy' but they ignore the desire of the people they represent when it doesn't reflect their own agendas.

Prove to me they are developing nuclear weapons and prove to me they are planning to use them and I'll support a preemptive strike. Until then, Iran is their own country and what they do within their own borders is their own business. Iran has never started a war and they are smart enough to know they will get exterminated if they do. Does anyone think they risk their own existence by nuking Israel? I get real tired of all these games and propaganda.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by palg1

"Actions speak louder than words right? " What actions have Iran taken in the last 10 years to better the negotiations. I think the world has been pretty patient so far and it's about time someone stands up and acts. I've had enough of the UN and everyone else blowing more hot air onto negotiations that have literally led nowhere.

What actions should Iran have to make? The west makes demands, Iran refuses, so what? Who are we to make demands of them? Iran demands Israel declare their nuclear capabilities and they refuse. Does that mean Iran should take out their facilities? You my friend appear to have been fed too much West=Good, Iran=Bad propaganda for too long.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
If you asked me, id say its that GD lickspittle Harper, and his hangdog bootlicking war loving cabinet.
The time is ripe for ousting this arsehole now his true NWO colours are flying......bye bye next election.....
I believe this is orchestrated by US/Isreali interests and a prelude to the bombs.....What a ship of fools...!

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Thank God for Stephen Harper. He's changing My country into something that I can be proud of.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by palg1

What actions should Iran have to make? The west makes demands, Iran refuses, so what? Who are we to make demands of them? Iran demands Israel declare their nuclear capabilities and they refuse. Does that mean Iran should take out their facilities? You my friend appear to have been fed too much West=Good, Iran=Bad propaganda for too long.

It's not just the west making these demands it's the United Nations looking for reasurance in order to keep the world a safe place. Btw, I get fed the same crap everyone else does and maybe a bit more. I do not take sides until I have enough info to make an educated opinion. So lay off your assumptions about my ability to sort crap from fact.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
God damn Stephen Harper and his globalist scum bag agenda.

War mongering.

That man needs to be removed from the helm of government. He's turning my country into something I hardly recognize anymore.

Sickening.

~Tenth

Couldnt agree more with you

but they dont have Quebec anymore
we choose Pauline Marois to go away from Harper regime

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by palg1

I don't think everyone at the UN agrees and although the concept of the UN is ideal, I have less and less faith in them as time goes on. The western nations have more pull than any other represented country. If the UN is supposed to be a true representation of the member states, then all member states should be represented equally.

So what exactly has you so convinced that a preemptive war against Iran is the best way forward? You seem to label Iran as the bad guys yet you are the one calling for war. I don't mean to make assumptions but I don't understand your position - please enlighten me.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

The Canadian people should be very worry, indeed very worry, as it looks to me that their politicians are in the same payroll as the corrupted politicians in the US an partners that has taken over our government for private interest agendas.

Our nations are not run by the people but by somebody with power and money interest.

Worry Canadians this the face of dirty money.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by palg1

I really really fear for my fellow man when the average Canadian is so ill-informed that they can actually support Harper and his tyranny.

Please tell me one good thing he's done.

Actually dont' bother. I suspect you have some vested interest in agreeing with Harper.

Either way, you aren't being honest with yourself.

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Well if Iran is developing nuclear weapons and Israel/US/NATO/UN etc. have solid proof then they should disclose it to the world. Any attack on Iran is going to impact ALL of us, all around the world. We 'elect' these politicians to represent our 'democracy' but they ignore the desire of the people they represent when it doesn't reflect their own agendas.

Prove to me they are developing nuclear weapons and prove to me they are planning to use them and I'll support a preemptive strike. Until then, Iran is their own country and what they do within their own borders is their own business. Iran has never started a war and they are smart enough to know they will get exterminated if they do. Does anyone think they risk their own existence by nuking Israel? I get real tired of all these games and propaganda.

Are you asking ME for proof or the IAEA/UN/NATO/CIA/Mossad. As far as I am concerned I am entitled to my opinion just like you have an opinion that they are no where near developing a weapon.

And as far as the nations accusing Iran of have nukes disclosing their findings...why should they? If they have knowledge they are probably just playing their cards until it is beneficial for THEM to strike. If you seriously think that TPTB actually give a # about us then your need to wake up and smell the roses.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join