It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gobekli Tepe stone totem.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I'm surprised the finding of this totem at Gobekli Tepe hasn't been more widely reported and considered, i only came across it through this Alternative site, with pictures from June this year;

www.earthfiles.com...

It was discovered in October 2010 and is photographed in situ here, not much said about it though, awaiting furthur analysis.

arheologija.ff.uni-lj.si...

The aspect that excited myself when i saw the piece is that it enables one to say that the association of twin serpents with birth giving Goddess' dates back to at least 11,000 years, going on to be a major motif of Near Eastern art.

There is a precedent for the totem stones giving birth as seen here;

The differance with the Gobekli Tepe totem is that the woman giving birth, the mid-part of the sculpture, is herself an aspect of the greater figure who thus appears to have the aspect of a birth Goddess, it's difficult to be certain due to damage, but her head appears to have been that of a serpent.

Hard to see due to damage and wear, but even the figure that is emerging from the mid-point birth could also be giving birth, which would be three births seen in conjunction, giving birth whilst being born....unusual.

edit on 7-9-2012 by Kantzveldt because: Add

edit on 7-9-2012 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Kantzveldt

Awesome Archeology, hey?

I like the fact, that many of the "animals" represented,on are not known. DoDo bird reference.......

Strangely resembled a Dinosaur, at first glance......

S&F

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Clearly, what they were trying to represent was this:

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Am i seeing a Snake on the lower side portion of the totem? I find it interesting that cultures around the world and at different times place the Snake in some position of reverance.

Cool Find, i love reading ancient History!

S+F

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

I totally agree, it can not be merely coincidence that the ancients represented snakes in this way. I know one thing for sure. ITS NOT FROM THE BIBLE.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

It is awesome, and some of them do look like little dinosaurs...

reply to post by Astyanax

Beware of self fulfilling prophecies and all that.

reply to post by MDDoxs

Yes there is a serpent prominent on either side, as i mentioned this is a great find in terms of dating back the tradition of the twin serpents associate with birth Goddess', which could often be seen intertwined in the manner of the caduceus.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by The0nlytruth

Snakes are quite a interesting and they have many characteristics that i would coin as "sinister" in appearance. Just to rattle off a few themes in which snakes are typically involved in; Deception, Evil, Knowledge and Temptation seem quite common.

All i got up in my area of the world is small gardiner snakes and all they do is excrete on you as a defense

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by The0nlytruth
reply to post by MDDoxs

ITS NOT FROM THE BIBLE.

The bible was written 9.000 years later.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Thanks for this great post. So interesting!
I would not of found out about the totem poles..I google GBT all the time, never found out about this.

S+F (if I can, i'm a newbie)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by butterflyowl

Thanks, i'm surprised this wasn't more widely reported it's an amazing sculpture, firgures giving birth whilst being born, perhaps when it has been 'furthur analysed'...

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
this is an excellent thread. very thought provoking.
thank you.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Howdy Kantveldt

The report you linked to is from the Deutsches Archäologisches Institut, about as mainstream as you can get what I think you meant was that the msm hasn't paid much attention to it, damage art usually doesn't.

Nice statue/totem it looks like it was partially buried for awhile with the upper part subject to the weathering

Good post

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

That's true, looking at the position and condition the totem was found in do you think it likely that was not it's original setting, and that it could thus have come from elsewhere, either within the general area or from furthur away, and could possibly even predate the site...i tend to think it should have had centralized position.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
In the movie/ dvd that came out last year Cave of Forgotton dreams, they show cave drawings done by humans some 28,000 years ago. These drawings were very superb. They were also modern. Animals that were in France that are now extinct were drawn beautifully. Cave bears and lions without manes that were male were depicted.
So there were fabulous artists in past Earth's history to whom we should be very grateful for documenting a historical record of what was alive here on Earth. Gobekli Tepe is such an example.

I wish they could find the funds and dig up Gobekli Tepe faster. Do they have photos of the stolen piece of art at Gobekli Tepe? Someone wealthy should invest into supporting the work done there so it happens faster. They have been digging eighteen years.... Not many books have been written documenting the work done there. National Geographic 2011 and the Smithsonian 2008 each have written only one short article about the site. Ancient Aliens did a nice eppisode regarding the site. I really hope more happens for the researchers, it is very fascinating.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by frugal

In 2010, Global Heritage Fund (GHF) announced it will undertake a multi-year conservation program to preserve Göbekli Tepe. The first conservation program in the site's history, the partners include Klaus Schmidt and the German Archaeological Institute, German Research Foundation, Şanlıurfa Municipal Government, and the Turkish Ministry of Tourism and Culture. The stated goals of the GHF Göbekli Tepe project are to support the preparation of a Site Management and Conservation Plan, construction of a shelter over the exposed archaeological features, training local community members in guiding and conservation, and helping Turkish authorities secure UNESCO World Heritage Site nomination

From the wiki

Prof. Klaus Schmidt in association with the German Archeological Institute are the leaders on the dig. It would be unusual for another academic organization to come into the dig but is possible. One thing Archaeologists learn in archy 101, patience

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

I don't believe that is a snake it looks more like a plant to me.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kantzveldt
There is a precedent for the totem stones giving birth as seen here;

To me, that resembles this statue at Gobekli Tepe in Antolia !

The Gobekli Tepe statue has a fox on each side
That resembles this statue from Çatalhöyük in Antolia

So this +/- 10 000 BC stylized statue at Göbekli Tepe
is the Anatolian Earth Goddess Cybele (Kybele)

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 5-10-2012 by Ove38 because: Text fix

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
This site is close to another war front. So I hope that things dont go wrong. As it would be a great shame if these ruins were destroyed, or damaged by the war mongers amongst us. How many times in the past, have these crimes been comitted by crazy men. One would think that modern man would be more interested in this, than creating stupid wars.

Can you imagine one of the spirit in the sky crews arriving and blowing them up?

These ruins should be protected and fully investigated. There are answers to many of our questions hidden among those ruins. Would be a pity to lose them.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kantzveldt

Hard to see due to damage and wear, but even the figure that is emerging from the mid-point birth could also be giving birth, which would be three births seen in conjunction, giving birth whilst being born....unusual.

I see four heads and three pairs of hands ? That is a mother that gives birth, to a mother that gives birth, to a mother that gives birth to a child.

edit on 5-10-2012 by Ove38 because: Text fix

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Ove38

Yes that's the way i interpreted it, an aspect of the curious Neolithic 'breeding programmes'...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join