It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Private U2Us--Is someone else reading them before log in?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Alright, so I just had a U2U from an ATS pal who mentioned that their U2U messages appear to have been read upon logging in. You know what I mean, right? When there are new, unread messages the text of the subject line appears bold, bright, and white. After they are read once, they will no longer be bold, but also be a duller green/gray color.

I mentioned once to this same member a while back that it seemed weird how I logged in once and that one of my new messages appeared to have been read already. There's no way I clicked and opened that U2U, and yet, it certainly looked like it wasn't a new message anymore. No one knows my login, password, or knows that I even visit this site. No one has access to my bedroom pc or anything either.

So, what's the deal? Have any other members experienced this? Does anybody have an explanation?

We are both dying to hear from you guys.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Its normal, its to do with the other person reading it or something....there are threads on it already.

Its nothing nefarious

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

If the person that sent the message reads it on their end after they sent it to you it will show as "read" on your end. Also if it is a group message, once someone reads it, it will show as read in your inbox.

Hope that makes sense!!!

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

Thanks a lot! I'm sorry I didn't use the search function, folks. And I knew it was there too..just waiting for me. Mods, you can delete this thread, right? Please do!

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

Thanks a lot! I'm sorry I didn't use the search function, folks. And I knew it was there too..just waiting for me. Mods, you can delete this thread, right? Please do!

It shouldn't be deleted =) .. others might have the same question.. this is useful.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Well, I think ATS needs to fix it to where it doesn't go dim until the receiver reads it. I have missed messages a few times because I didn't see anything highlighted.

Thanks for the post, NB.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
You know what... There may be something wrong with messaging after all. After reading the OP, I clicked on the "Messages" link on the toolbar. It was not highlighted as it would be (yellow I think, if I remember correctly) if I had any unread messages. When my Inbox came up, however, it said I had 2 unread messages.
Has something been changed in the message notification on the toolbar?

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I never have this problem, my inbox is always too full, telling me I need to delete things to allow new messages and stuff like that I'm just too popular.

Oh wait, it's empty...

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Lol. I have the opposite problem. No one messages me.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikelkhall

I get lots of messages. They all say the same thing though, "Warning" or "Off Topic Post Removed"

Just start drinking and then post every thought that comes to mind, then you will get more messages!
Plus its a great way to get to know the mods.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

Sometimes a new message - one you haven't read or seen - is not highlighted, which is the indicator of having "been read." I've had it happen a number of times over the last year, as well as some other members who have mentioned it to me. I figure its a computer/software issue and since it happens only rarely I never bothered to bring it up.

That being said, I wouldn't use the U2U system for any messages I would worry about anyways - whether they are or not, they can be read.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by tvtexan

Originally posted by mikelkhall

I get lots of messages. They all say the same thing though, "Warning" or "Off Topic Post Removed"

Just start drinking and then post every thought that comes to mind, then you will get more messages!
Plus its a great way to get to know the mods.

Just reply to the mod who sent you the happygram and try to engage them in long meaningful conversations about ATS being CIA or Springer not really existing and being merely an amalgam of a bunch of NSA geeks...

join