It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quakes hit southwestern China, killing at least 43

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Quakes hit southwestern China, killing at least 43

www.cnn.com

A series of earthquakes in southwestern China on Friday killed at least 43 people and injured dozens, the state-run Xinhua news agency reported.

There were reports of "some houses collapsed" and power outages in the quake area, according to Xinhua, which earlier said more than 20,000 houses were damaged.

The four quakes struck near the border of the provinces of Yunnan and Guizhou between 11:19 a.m. and 1:12 p.m. local time, the U.S. Geological Survey said. Their magnitudes ranged between 4.8 and 5.6, it said.

The first quake took place at the border area of Yiliang County in Yunna
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
4 Earthquakes hit China at once in nearly the same area! As well there has been an additional earthquake on the pacific rim in Cali I think. But 4 Earthquakes at the same time?? At the same place? That doesn't make sense. And at the same time another eathquake happens on the other side of the pacific rim. What the heck is going on to cause all this geologic seismology? Anybody have any answers?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Swing80s

I'm inclined to suspect solar activity, electro-gravetic effects from Saggitarius A via the Dark Rift, or HAARP.

Pick your poison. Quake activity is certainly on the rise... and so are my eyebrows.

Pole shift, anyone?

edit on 7-9-2012 by Heliophant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   
hmmm "I'll take HARRP for 500 Alex"

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   

"And that's today's Daily Double!"

...literally. Seems like there's two or three noteworthy seismic events per day lately.

edit on 7-9-2012 by Heliophant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
No offense meant and I hope nobody was hurt but what the heck do the Chinese build those 20K homes out of? 4.8-5.6 is barely enough to stir coffee and 20K homes were damaged?

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swing80s
hmmm "I'll take HARRP for 500 Alex"
Im with you there buddy
H.a.r.r.p everytime including when my fruit goes bad,harrp for 500. Im laughing at myself watching conspiracy programs,no one else

edit on 7/9/12 by lostgold because: missing p,detail detail

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Terminal1
No offense meant and I hope nobody was hurt but what the heck do the Chinese build those 20K homes out of? 4.8-5.6 is barely enough to stir coffee and 20K homes were damaged?

Maybe the actual quakes were stronger but their strength has been downgraded - hence the unexpected damage and deaths for such relatively "mild" quakes.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Yeah, just read this on skynews!

Seems that they were shallow ones around 6 miles deep which is why they caused a lot of damage!

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Wait......4 at the SAME TIME? Did I understand that correctly?? If so, that's just odd...hope no more are found dead...and, may the dead r.i.p.?..sad.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Terminal1

not if they hit the right area at the right time and were shallow.

look at the cchurch quake.. shallow, not overly strong but did some damage.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Death toll rises to 64 in SW China quakes
English.news.cn 2012-09-07 21:03:52

news.xinhuanet.com/english/china/2012-09/07/c_131835270.htm

ZHAOTONG, Yunnan, Sept. 7 (Xinhua) -- Sixty-four people have been confirmed dead and 715 others were injured after multiple earthquakes struck a mountainous region in southwest China's Yunnan Province on Friday, the province's civil affairs department said.

Editor: Yang Lina

President Hu calls for immediate efforts to aid quake zone
English.news.cn 2012-09-07 20:23:34

news.xinhuanet.com/english/china/2012-09/07/c_131835184.htm

BEIJING, Sept. 7 (Xinhua) -- President Hu Jintao has called for immediate efforts to help with disaster relief work in southwest China, where multiple earthquakes that occurred on Friday have killed at least 50 people, according to China Central Television, or CCTV.

Hu, who is in Russia's city of Vladivostok for an annual economic leaders' meeting of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) forum, said authorities should work to ensure safety and protect property in the quake zone.

Premier Wen Jiabao has already left for the area.

More than 160 people were injured in multiple earthquakes that struck southwest China's Yunnan and Guizhou provinces on Friday. The quakes have also forced the evacuation of more than 100,000 people, according to local civil affairs authorities.

Editor: Yang Lina

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I have noticed several quakes in that area just as shallow and stronger magnitude in the last couple weeks.
It just goes to show that were never as safe as we think we are.
I'm lucky cause i have goodyear shock absorbers on my home.

top topics

join