It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To survive you need to know about a disaster first: Twitter and other resources

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
After reading about all the possible disasters (earthquakes, tsunamis, Mt. Fuji, Yellostone...) it is clear that we humans are more or less helpless against these monsters. So if we can't stop the disaster itself we need to prepare to survive the days afterwards.

We all know that it is important to have a good storage of water, food, shelters.... but much more important and ofter forgotten is the fact that you need to know that such a disaster just happened. What are tons of food and a bomb proof shelter at home worth if you are still at work when a tsunami hits? All the weapons at home are worthless if the zombies are already there while you are still outside

In my opinion it is very important to be one of the first to know about a disaster. For those real earth disasters we could have a warning a few minutes/hours before it reaches us. Of cause we could just listen to the radio/media but they are often slow, don't tell us everything and so on...

But we all (at least most of us i guess) have a mobile phone or a computer around us. And although I don't like the big company behind Twitter it is still a great tool to get real time information out very fast to millions. If you install a free twitter client on your mobile (they exist for Android, iOS...) you mobile would ring/vibrate just seconds/minutes after such a disaster giving you some extra minutes to be the first to be prepared at home...

So let us collect some very important twitter feeds that we all need to follow. Please no ordinary news sites or feeds filled with unimportant stuff. For example I follow ATS and sometimes it is really fast in reporting a disaster but if you enable the ringtone alert for ATS you couldn't sleep anymore as your mobile would ring 10x at night to tell you that someone saw the aliens landing in his garden

I will start with a small list of some feeds that I have in my list - if you add your links please also add the affected region as there are also many local warning systems just important for those living around that place.

Worldwide:
DisasterAWARE
Earthquake & Tsunami
tsunami watch
ubAlert

US:
NWS

edit on 7-9-2012 by UnixFE because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Duh! Why do you think I'm always on ATS?

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by UnixFE

What a lot of the survivalists are forgetting is if its the big end like it says in the bible then your not going to want to survive its going to be more like you wish you was dead ,,
I have things for hunting my food and that is all i have and a sock filled with soil would be enough for cleaning water but if it has got to the stage were water is too contaminated and there are no animals to hunt then i will be using the length of rope i have for some thing else,,,
surviving is only good when the is something worth surviving for ,,,,,,,,

join