It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Voyager 1 will reach interstellar space on December 21st, 2012 ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
We are told that Voyager 1 is close to reaching the edge of our solar system and will enter interstellar space soon. Here is a thought; What if an extra-terrestrial race had been monitoring our technological progress and was using the boundary of our solar system as a kind of benchmark that when reached, they would make their presence known to us, as if to say, alright humanity, you have achieved an incredible feat and now we would like to share our knowledge with you and help you progress further.

What if Voyager 1 crossed the solar system boundary on exactly December 21st 2012 and gave credence to many of the ancient predictions of the gods returning and the like?

I like the idea of this. Anyone else share my enthusiasm?

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
It's an interesting idea but what exactly is the boundary?

I'm asking honestly, because I don't know. Like how do they determine such a boundary? How do we know it isn't already there? I haven't checked but how long is it taking for transmissions to get back to earth right now from Voyager? Or are they not coming in anymore?

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Pop goes the weasel.
When it gets out of this solar fishbowl it will fall on the floor.
edit on 6-9-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by grantjennings

That could be a good idea for another 2012 movie

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I find it funny that you think anything outside of our planet monitoring us would be dumb enough to help us advance our technology. Humans are the most destructive living beings on our Planet, maybe in the universe (if we actually haven't gotten our asses torn by whatever is supposedly watching us).
edit on 6-9-2012 by FidelityMusic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Voyager 1 has already begun to enter interstellar space, having encountered the heliopause (the edge of the heliosphere) in June.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by DerekJR321

All good questions. My understanding is that our scientists have determined a rough boundary based on their distance calculations and what can be observed using instruments and by this, determined an approximate boundary of our solar system. Obviously it’s not a finish line type of boundary but perhaps an extra-terrestrial race have a better understanding of the actual boundary, or a boundary they have imposed, and when crossed……who knows?

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

I think we're not so sure.

Through the summer, analysts kept finding tantalizing hints that Voyager-1 had reached this interstellar space. Next stop: Another star, in a few million years.

Not so fast, says a study published in this week’s issue of the research journal Nature. Four scientists at Johns Hopkins University say the solar wind should be deflected in a new direction if the edge is near. And Voyager, measuring the solar wind, has found no change.

Still, experts feel the edge is close.

National Post Sept 6th

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

reply to post by DerekJR321

Interstellar space begins where the solar wind is no longer sufficient to push back interstellar particles.

That study really isn't saying anything new. We know what to expect when Voyager 1 does pass through the heliopause and fully enters interstellar space, and it's obviously not there yet. But it has encountered the heliopause, which marks the transition. Hence, it has begun to enter interstellar space, but it's not properly there as yet.

edit on 6-9-2012 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Thank you for the clarification and for adding some solid science to the post. Much appreciated.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Our species has made contact with many races a few times. The people in control of earth are evil and keep things to themselves. Voyager 1 wont spur an alien race to come visit. When we fix our elite tyranny problem and Illuminati scum issues. Then the quarantine on this section of the galaxy can begin to be lifted.

As difficult as it may be to believe, It is fact. An annoying very difficult to fix fact but ooh well. They are becoming more and more exposed every month

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

now we would like to share our knowledge with you and help you progress further.

Now why would they want to do that? Would you?
There has to be something to gain on their part. Nookie???

Humans announcing "We're here!" is a bad idea anyway you look at it.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by grantjennings

I like the idea of this. Anyone else share my enthusiasm?

Wild thing IS what if that was the intended agenda with its launch time and data MAP aboard?

Very good question grantjennings

NAMASTE*******

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

There isn't a fixed boundary. It's vague zone where there is a transition zone.

Why would an advanced group of aliens wait for the event to happen? A long time ago they'd have understood that the goal was met. Why not reveal themselves decades ago?

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Why would an advanced group of aliens wait for the event to happen? A long time ago they'd have understood that the goal was met. Why not reveal themselves decades ago?

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Interesting thought, But any higher intelligence would look at us and think "They may make it as a race, possibly before they destroy themselves and their island called Earth."

My own honest opinion is if anyone is or has been monitoring our progress as a species and industrialized culture, one can only think they would be a bit cautious about us. We have achieved great feats yes, but have also made decisions without thinking about the possible consequences.

It's a wonderful thought, but possibly eon's before another culture/species would dare make direct contact with us. That is unless they knew a direct contact would change the current course humanity has been on.

I love to entertain the idea there is someone out there just waiting to make their presence and help us to the next level.

I think Darwin's Theory also applies to the universe. Those species incapable of getting beyond their shortcomings and realizing themselves, their place on their planet and the universe will destroy themselves. With no outside influence or guidance. We may have the capacity and capability to wipe ourselves and all other life off this planet for a time, but the planet will always recover and new life may take hold. It's had far worse catastrophes in its LONG life. It will always prevail until our star finely reaches the end of its life and our solar system as we know it changes for all eternity.

I don't mean to come off as a pessimistic, but its what I've observed and felt for years. I only hope i could be far from right for all our sakes.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Good theory they do kinda coincide with each others time frame. Maybe they don't want us littering outside of our solar system and are obligated to come down and give us the galactic rule book. It's not warp speed but leaving the solar system has to give us some credit with our neighbors.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
So many threads such as this one show people yearning for the easy button. This one wants aliens to come when the easy button is pressed. Others want new DNA and superhero capabilities. They all have the same chance of happening - NOT.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist

Well maybe people would come to the realization of something we made has mad has made a huge journey out of one solar system. Which in the grand scheme of things with billions of galaxies, each containing numerous galaxies, we have at least made a new footprint into the unknown.

Who knows if someone out there has boundaries and we cross one that shows that particular solar system, in that particular galaxy has enough intelligence they could handle a contact scenario.

With the scope of everything in existence, anything could be possible.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I don't think that Voyager 1, reaching the edge of the solar system, would be the trigger for aliens to contact us. If they have been watching us, then I am sure they have seen it headed in that direction the entire time. I don't see why it would matter to them that our unmanned probe has breached our solar system. That doesn't mean 100% that they would not decide to contact us, because of it, it just has that unlikely feel to it.

There could be many proposed ramifications from the probe exiting our solar system. Their limit is on limited by our collective imagination.

Maybe the probe will be prevented from leaving by some previously unknown, but fully natural force. That's just the first thing that comes to my mind, when putting thought to the unexpected things that could occur. Maybe it won't be able to function properly due to the conditions of interstellar space. Possibilities are endless, and remain possible, until the results are proven.

I think it will get there, and keep on going.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join