It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The human voice is the human ego

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

When the two become one the kingdom will be revealed.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

We know the voice is 7% of the 'truth.' And if our voice is false, imagine how small of that is the actual reality.

So I have one question and I need to write a thread about it. How do we eliminate the sound of nervousness in our voice?

25% is the tone of voice, not the words. So any time our thoughts are heard in the form of words we are jugded by our tone 3 times more than what we actually say, but still only a 4th of overall communication. This is the reason why smiling is perceived as such a good thing, because 50% of our entity is judged by our body movements.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Very interesting thread. I agree with your basic thesis of the voice being the crystallization of the ego.

What i notice in different languages spoken is that the common denominator is the human ego. The human voice projects the human ego to manifests and extend itself into the reality around it. Affecting and influencing, shaping and controlling and acting as initiator for all types of human emotional mannerisms subterfuge, hatred, kindness and so on...

What's also interesting is the interrelationship between ones egoic state and ones voice - ones voice literally corresponds to the solidity of ones ego. The weaker the ego, the more timorous and quiet the sound of the voice. The stronger the ego, the more one projects, the more one expresses the voice without resistance.

All egoic i.e. self communication occurs through the medium of the voice; but the ego really doesn't develop any force until it has been objectified in actual speech, shared with others, and, depending on the response of others, reenforced or deflated. Hence, speech in itself is a very courageous act. People generally take for granted what is actually occurring with speech, with communicating with others, but it's immensely important to ones personal sense of self i.e his ID, and his overall state of ego. It is a risk, every time. Of course it is completely counter productive to think and fret about this before you're about to speak, but it's particularly when you speak that you either ascend or descend in ego. Even writing online, the words I communicate through these letters, conveys a more rarefied form of ego, but, the threat to the ego is less, because words communicated through a computer screen, as opposed through the intimacy of ones voice - which literally crystallizes the ego in particular form - is completely different. Hence, people tend to feel more confident in their ability to communicate over a computer than with their actual voice.
edit on 11-9-2012 by dontreally because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by greyer

I don't know where you got those statistics, but in my experience, I find tone to be at least 50% important, and sometimes, with certain types of people, how you speak tends to be 60-70 % what it takes to convince your hearer.

If you're talking to someone and speaking to them in a state of self confidence i.e. in a positive sense of self and in what you're saying, then I think you far more likely to be in rapport with the person you're speaking with than if you're nervous.

You could have the most clever well thought out and worded argument, but if there is even a ounce of nervousness, an even tacit reflection of thought on some insecure feeling while one is speaking, than that infinitesimal emotional distraction could break your entire argument. The person may not have the self awareness to pick it up - but the subconscious does - and that in turn determines the path your speaking partner will take. You could say to him - and this is especially present in those of a more stubborn temperament - something that is incontrovertibly true, but if you said it with insecurity, with tension in the voice, your hearer will either count it unimportant, or even oppose it out of sheer rebelliousness to the feeling your speaking produced in him.

So how does overcome nervousness?? That entails overcoming any weakness in your self. You cannot think of your nervousness if you want to speak without nervousness. Nervousness is in itself a state of unsureness - of insecurity. Thus, you can only counter this feeling with an opposite feeling. One must recognize the source of the nervousness to rise above it.

This of course is not in the least bit easy, especially if you're the nervous and anxious type. First, you have to end certain thinking patterns; do you anticipate yourself before you speak? If you are, than you're unknowingly engaging the feeling that causes you to second guess yourself. You have to speak and speak from the self - and not through that 'secondary' emotion which causes you distress.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

I could say hate and love in the same tone, vibration, pitch and it wouldn't make a lick of difference to anything.

Really? I would assume - of course, on little scientific evidence - but just based on an intuitive hunch, that even words themselves carry at an extremely subtle, 'etheric' level, the nature of their content. So, when we say 'hate' we mean something negative. Thus, this word carries with it a negative connotation, and so, a negative energy.

The 'energy' of course doesn't have any empirical reality, but it's assumed to exist ontologically, in a dimension beyond our conscious experience.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

from one ego to another....

I think you're confusing persona with ego. We only have one ego - which is the basic accumulation of experiences which form into a basic conscious attitude; The ego is basically that 'unit' we use to correlate information with the self.

In terms of different languages spoken, indeed, there are differences and this reflects itself in how we communicate and even with how go about thinking. I for example read and speak Hebrew. The way I formulate ideas and express them through speech is different, but I wouldn't say my 'Hebrew' "ego" is more confident than my English ego; I'm the same person speaking a different language.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by dontreally
reply to post by Bluesma

I think you're confusing persona with ego. We only have one ego - which is the basic accumulation of experiences which form into a basic conscious attitude; The ego is basically that 'unit' we use to correlate information with the self.

In terms of different languages spoken, indeed, there are differences and this reflects itself in how we communicate and even with how go about thinking. I for example read and speak Hebrew. The way I formulate ideas and express them through speech is different, but I wouldn't say my 'Hebrew' "ego" is more confident than my English ego; I'm the same person speaking a different language.

Well it sounds like we are not using that word in the same way.

I wouldn't use "persona" in this case because that is a more superficial concept for me- it may be comprised of specific external behaviors, but not a difference in internal reactions and emotions.

When I am in french self, I am automatically repulsed by certain things, or attracted to certain things, which I have an opposing reaction to in my american self. (only one example )
This is not a consciously chosen response, and influences my perspective immensely.
There is variations in my confidence level as well, between these parts of me.
The one thing all of my family has already commented on is that I am not the same person in France as I am in America.

------------------

Commenting on the part of the discussion that went into tone of voice and projection of self- I definately agree with that! As someone who works with animals, I am very much aware of the importance in the way one uses voice in communicating and projecting will- more so than the language, with animals.
One of the reasons we say you cannot lie with an animal- you can't fake self confidence, you can't fake being strong willed, couragious, clear-minded. There is no way to cheat in these interactions.

An example of these concepts together is that in training animals, I use mostly english cue words.
Not because the word matters to the animal, but because my american self carries much more authority, confidence and leadership ability than my french self, and the animal hears that.
edit on 11-9-2012 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Being an American or U.S. Citizen to be specific does carry a certain ability that installs confident thought. English as a Language...and I know several...and especially AMERICAN ENGLISH...is a HIGHLY TECHNICAL LANGUAGE that allows exact and precise conveyance of concepts and ideas.

The same cannot be said for Spanish, Portuguese, French....German is CLOSE but over complicated...but is VERY SIMILAR TO ENGLISH in many aspects. Most Science based in Physics, Math, Biology, Genetics and Science that needs to describe specifics without overlap of Language Wording Meanings...use English and ONLY English.

Even when using LATIN to Name Species the descriptions of observations and behavior is almost always English Language Based. FRENCH used to be used almost exclusively but the French Language in not very adaptable and tends to confuse issues.

American English is EXCLUSIVELY USED fro Computer Tech. and one thing I find very FUNNY! For some unknown reason of French EGO...FRANCE...has decided that the word...E-MAIL would be changed to a FRENCH WORD...of which I cannot remember...as they stated that American English was penetrating the Purity and Legacy of the French Language and that in order to save the French Language from what they saw as an American Takeover of French Society...LOL! That line really KILLS ME! LOL!...that all American English Names for Computer Tech. would be changes to NEW FRENCH NAMES! LOL!

TALK ABOUT EGO! Split Infinity

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

As someone who works with animals, I am very much aware of the importance in the way one uses voice in communicating and projecting will- more so than the language, with animals.

In Hebrew, the word for dog is Kelev. The letters in this word also means 'like the heart". Dogs, to the ancient Hebrews, and really, to any perspicacious onlooker, seemed to be the physical incarnation of the 'heart' or emotions.

Just think of the parallelism. It's quite funny. Dogs chase their own tails. If their head can be assumed to be consciousness, and the tail, the completed actions the self performs, then this bizarre habit of chasing their own tails would be a hilarious metaphor for the stupidity that emotionalism can lead us to do; obsessions - which are emotions - lead us into committing the same mistake over and over again. We know it isn't right, we know we shouldn't do it, but we do it anyway.

Nature, in my opinion, teaches us a great many things.

Dogs, aside from expressing the downside of emotion, also express a very important quality: faithfulness. And of course, the more you analyze, the more you come away with interesting correlations between the concept of emotion and the behavior and characteristics of dogs.

And yes, I would agree, that how you speak determines how your dog responds; "like the 'heart'" - they seem to look past the outward act of speech and see the 'heart' or emotion i.e the state of confidence or anger or whatever that animated the speech in question. It's very impressive.

One of the reasons we say you cannot lie with an animal- you can't fake self confidence, you can't fake being strong willed, couragious, clear-minded. There is no way to cheat in these interactions.

You may not be able to fake it, but dogs, especially your own dog, seem to be able to look past it in an owner which showers it with love, care, food, fun etc

I find it funny that whenever I have the thought - or feeling - to not throw the stick, my dog seems to pick it up. Even if she isn't even looking, somehow she recognizes that I have made the conscious decision not to throw - psychically picking up the emotion that I had and which dominated my conscious state. It's hard to experiment with, because thought and feeling is either sincere i.e. natural, and unconscious, or manufactured. And when it's manufactured, its no longer a genuine emotion. But when I throw the stick with the clear intention in mind of throwing it - but stop myself just before the throw - she runs her full run. I think the little bugger unwittingly reads my mind!

edit on 11-9-2012 by dontreally because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

I agree with everything you wrote. The use of the voice can be a powerful instrument. A very obvious example of that can be seen in wartimes with people like Hitler, and World leaders at that time. These are extreme examples of course neverless they reveal what influence a voice can have on the outcome shaping things on a large scale. Voice is largely just ego, once a person understands that they will know how to act accordingly. For example i always view people who have a large influencing voice to be like stage threatre actors, have natural or learned talent above the average person in population who has B grade voice acting skills. That wasnt the best analogy i know but its all i can think of right now.
edit on 12-9-2012 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join